In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thermacells Work!

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
Purchased one yesterday and went fishing tonight, not a single bite!

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    thermacells? They keep your feet warm while fishing? [:D]
    Seriously, what are they?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I read a thread on archery talk that had a lot of good feed back on them.
    May have to try one when my bug suit falls apart.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Yes they really do work. I have been useing one for the last few years. They also have pads that are scent pads to attract deer. I hope to try those out soon too.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used one in Canada bear hunting last month. As long as the wind is not blowing there is nothing better to keep those carnivores away.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious here, do you still hear them buzzing around or do they stay away from you? I know that my woods around here are filled with them D**N things this year and I'm going to need to do something. My plan right now is to use "no stinking bugs" spray. If this thing works as good as you say, I may look into one. How does it work, is it really odor free, and how long does each fill last? Trying to make an informed decision! Thanks

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    no scent and no bites sre you guy's pulling my leg ? do they really work ? because I get chewed alive and some skeeters have eee a deadly desease. I will definatly buy one.[:0]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    Yes they really do work. I have been useing one for the last few years. They also have pads that are scent pads to attract deer. I hope to try those out soon too.

smilie_schuetze.gif You better try somthing real quick after all the [8][8]Busting you did about the early season start looks like ya got about 9 days till we all hit the woods then OH man Bang is gonna be relentless. OH yea count me in[:D][:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    was out there last night and just got back in now.... have dinner at a friends in a bit then I actually have to do some work. was planning on being in stand tomorrow evening but got a $300 order... so I have to stay home that $300 will help with the bills right now...not happy about it tho. I did get my 2 new releases in this afternoon....heading out back to try them out....

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Yes, the Thermocells work like magic.
    In Canada, I climbed into my stand and almost immediately a half dozen skeeters descended on my *. I couldn't get the 'cell lit quick enough! Within a few minutes of the unit heating up and releasing the "medicine" from the mat...they were gone. In 2.5 hrs. in the stand I heard only one skeeter do a quick fly-by. I turned the 'cell off and was back on the menu a couple minutes later.
    The 'cell works on black flies, too.

I've got a standard size model and I bought a compact version for $10 at Bass Pro. They give off a 15' diameter or 225 sq/ft area of protection...as long as the wind or breeze is not blowing. One butane cylinder and three mats are supposed to be good for 12 hrs. of protection. I can say that we got about 7 hrs out of one mat and the butane life is relatively accurate.

A Thermocell is an absolute must.
    edited November -1
    Ok so here is the thermacell test I am planning.
    Now I know that they work for skeeters and yellow flies and such.... but now they are selling empty mats that you can put up to 1/2 oz of your favorite scent on and then use it as a scent dispersal system. So why not add a bit of scent to the skeeter pad... maybe it will work. I figure since the skeeter pad is scentless it should not (in theory) mess with the scent of the attractant scent being put on it and basically do double duty.

So what do yall think about that?

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone used one while deer hunting? I am getting conveinced but am still concerned about scent while deer hunting. Just not quite ready to run out and buy one... YET![:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
    edited November -1
    Yeah I have used them deer hunting(rifle)... had one on opening day this year when I saw the doe and buck that were out of my range[:(][:(][:(]. I have used them for a few years but that was my first time useing one bow hunting.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Has anyone used one while deer hunting? I am getting conveinced but am still concerned about scent while deer hunting. Just not quite ready to run out and buy one... YET![:D]

I couldn't smell anything after it goes started up. I have heard a lot of people using them while hunting with no problem.
    edited November -1
    I could faintly smell mine. I had it hanging about 2 feet behind my head and the drift of scent passed over me. I don't know about adding any scent to the repellent mat. I may work? But, by the time I begin using scents, i.e. doe estrous, there won't be any skeeter's around unless they have their under armour on. [:D] At least under normal weather conditions anyway.
    edited November -1
    heck we have skeeters in December [:(]

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:gagirl Posted - 09/25/2005 : 1:08:15 PM
    heck we have skeeters in December

I thought it got cold there?????????
    edited November -1
    Sometimes... but I have also worn shorts on Christmas day. Most of our really cold weather is after Christmas.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    Sometimes... but I have also worn shorts on Christmas day. Most of our really cold weather is after Christmas.

HAHA, I have an uncle that always wears shorts in the dead of an Ohio winter.