In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Using a Bag target

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else use a bag type target? I bought one at Bass Pro before last season and my arrows are blowing through it already. I had to re-fletch three arrows last night for it. Here is my greater problem. I see I only have two choices, build a backstop to stop my arrows from penetrating past the fletching or buy a new target. I am looking at getting a "broadhead buck" type target and the cheapest I have found is the Delta 3D target for about $60 bucks or so. (Would be about $75 after shipping or I should be able to get one at Dick's S/G for the same if they are in stock) Does anyone have one of these targets and are the arrows easy to remove? I don't really have the cash for one right now, but I don't see I have much choice. Anyone got any thoughts?

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Not me I don't shootfeild tips at all.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    slash

save your money on targets. Get a box about 10 inches deep, and wide and high enough to suit your target needs. Think of your local stores that may receive goods wrapped in plastic wrap. Ask them for some, get a good body full. Stuff the plastic into the box. You have a target, free, imo better then a lot of targets on the market.
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't tried this myself, but I have heard you can restuff the bag targets with Wal-Mart bags, and they are as good as new. It might be worth a try.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Islander1989
    I haven't tried this myself, but I have heard you can restuff the bag targets with Wal-Mart bags, and they are as good as new. It might be worth a try.

Should, same concept as mine above. If you already have a stand for your bag target, it should work good.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tested 8-10 bags and blocks and found the Morrel Eternity to be one of the best for my purposes. I wanted stopping power for a crossbow, and easy removal. It has both, and when they say 2 finger removal they mean it. I shot mostly target arrows, the target can be refurbished if you insist on broadheads, but there is probably better success with the targets designed specifically for broadheads. I shoot my broadheads at a silohette with the replacable disk. The demand to shoot broadheads with a crossbow is less than my compound, because the mechanical arrows I shoot are exactly the same as the target ones. Different case with the compound. I dont get the penetration I desire with the mechanicals with my compound, probably because I am "retarded" and cant crank up the poundage like I used to.