In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hunting big bucks

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering how many of you go search for a scrape, hang a stand then hunt it for a buck kill. Lasy year I got my hands on an artificial scrape scent despencer and it drops scent into the "fake" scrape every day. Didn't know if I should find a scrape and hang this within 50 yds of that scrape or make a fake one and hang my stand near the fake scrape? Very different ideas here, any input would help...thanks!

Comments

• Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot any deer that walks under me most of the time, but if a buck and doe come at the same time LOOK OUT MR BUCK [:D].... You are talking bout makeing ( mock ) scrapes that will work. I put them in a triangle that way he should give you a broadside shot at lease at 1 of them. I would put them bout 20 yards away from your stand. Hope this helps alittle [:)]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I don't mess with scents too much. Ive gotten most bucks by placeing my stand couple hundred yards on a trail leading in and out of the the thickest nasty bedding I can find.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I've never messed with scrapes or mock scrapes. On a side note I did see some deer on the way to work this morning, that just added a little fuel to the fire that is burning inside me.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've never made a "mock" scrape, so i am not sure how well they will work. as for hunting over scrapes, that is only good around here for about 2 weeks of the rut. and the big bucks here only run their scrape line at night. i place more emphasis on rubs. i have began seeing several rubs in the woods. pay attention to these because they often are set up in a line down a ridge, marking a path that the buck travels regularly. also keep your eyes open for several rubs together in one area. this will often indicate his "bedroom" so to speak. a couple years ago i found about 50+ rubs in one area and hunted the edge of this area. second day of muzzleloader a nice 7 hit the ground. buckeyboy is also correct, if you can place yourself between a bedding and feeding area, you are sure to see deer.

***__________________________________________________
    39 and counting.... deer that is.......***