In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Feather Fletch Damage

Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
Just a quick question for those who shoot real feathers. How much damage to the feathers does it take before you replace the fletch? When I'm working on my hunting arrows, any little blemish, and a new fletch goes on, but on my practice arrows, it seems like they have to have taken quite a beating to really affect their flight. Does anyone else notice the same thing?

Comments

• Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of rest do you have? replace feathers when thay are slightly warn. With broadhead use, need to have good steering with new feathers. what length fletchings do you have.. make sure you powder test your arrows..hope this helps...

excalibur
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    What is "powder test"?[:I]

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    What is "powder test"?[:I]

Ben

taking baby powder and putting it on the rest, cables, and anything else that could get in the way of the fletching. When you shoot, if there is contact, you can tell where there was contact and figure out how to correct it.
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the cheap stick on rest, so there is no avoiding contact with one fletch. I wish I could upgrade, but my riser is vertical without the bumpout for a rest to fit in. I shoot 4" feathers. Most of the damage that I was talking about was from other arrows when I'm shooting groups. I like to have limited practice with my hunting arrows before the season to make sure they are flying right, so I was just wondering when others justified a fletch replacement.
  • Options
    excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thatis fine with the straight riser. I would however look into a flipper style rest. If your groups are good dont change a thing.. good hunting and keep up the shooting arm..lol

excalibur