In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kind of Bummed

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
My family has been going on a hunting trip every year since around the late 60s/early 70s. They used to go up to Michigan until the deer became plentiful in Illinois. Then they started to go down to Shawnee. We have a massive tent that can sleep up to 7 hunters w/ all gear, and still have an indoor kitchen space for cooking and eating. Our camping set-up could not be rivaled by a motorhome, and anyone that happens to hike or come by on horse, always has to stop to admire our set up. The commraderie is unmatched. Being invited to go on the hunt was one of the most important times in my life. But alas, the men have gotten old, the number of hunters has dwindled to just a few, and all of the sudden I am witness to the end of an era. My Grandpa called me the other night and told me that the hunt for this year has been called off.[:(]

I think that I may still go by myself, but I havn't decided yet. As much as I enjoy hunting those woods, I do not enjoy that much solitude. Maybe if I didn't go for the full 9 days, I could pull it off. I don't know. It's fairly rough country, and it would be an absolute nightmare to shoot a monster, and have to drag by myself, in those hills.

On the other hand, I guess it could be the beginning of a new era too. My Grandfather told me that someday I would have to take the reigns. I know I need to carry on the tradition, it's just that it's hard to find the good kind of hunters that will take the time off.

I know most of you probably already have your hunting plans for this year; however, would anyone be interested in going on a hunt in Southern Illinois for the last week of Oct or the first week of November(whichever is dark of the moon)?

Ben(who knows that his late little persimmon patch will show him a trophy)[B)]

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
Until Next Year!!!

Comments

• Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll be gettin a phone call soon, not like the one last night[:D] I'll be sober this time. Next week i'm going to make it to see you and maybe do lunch. I'm always up for a new huntin adventure.

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    My advise too you is to start drinking heavily.[B)] Just kidding.[:)] Ben, not to worry We had kinda the same thing MY father and a bunch of his friends my brother all hunted out of this cabbin for a week each year. we used to cook sleep tell stories for hours laugh I enjoyed that so much. Then like you said all the guys started gettin on in age one dropped here another there pretty soon just a few were going then suddenly it was over. where is everbody[?] come back I want things the way they were. Well as time passed I realized it really was over. I felt robbed[:(] I wasant ready to quit yet I was having too much fun. Well I hunted with one or two guys here and there after that and several times all alone. But memories are always better when they are shared. Then My dad passed in 2000[V] and I realized although I am in the woods and phiscaly alone. Mentally I have all those memories and some day another door will open and a new group of guys will get together and there old stories will be your new ones and vise versa. So chin up. [:)]Go for 3 days when you get lonely pack up and come home. Dad always said don't worry when one door closes another opens. Stop and smell the roses in between. Now go have a drink[;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Now go have a drink
    I thought about that and decided I need to get some blood in my alcohol stream, so I may stay off it for a day or so.[xx(]

Anyway, ben I appreciate the offer but I have to decline this season. Now if you were to do it again next season I would probably be able to work that out.
    Was that you that left the message on my phone at almost 1 this morning. sayin something about taco bell called you[:D][;)].

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben, my buddies and I have considered going over there to hunt. I live in southern Indiana and where you are talking isnt that far away. The only sad part is that I don't have the extra cash to spend this year on out of state tags. Otherwise I would jump at the chance. I, myself, would go even if it's for a few days and then try again next year to get others involved. Good luck.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:Now go have a drink

Was that you that left the message on my phone at almost 1 this morning. sayin something about taco bell called you[:D][;)].

Bang: I believe so. Didn't put 2and2 together(duh). I have a buddy that lives down south and his name is Tom Bell. Well, everyone started calling him Taco Bell, and then he was a cop for a while so everybody referred to him as Taco Cop. I thought that was who called.[:I]

And yeah, I was slightly intoxicated at the time...so, uh...sorry I called so late, I hope I didn't say anything to incriminating, and most importantly I hope I didn't wake anybody up, and am sorry if I did.[:I]

Taco: Hell yeah! Come on over. You're always welcome.

quote:Dad always said don't worry when one door closes another opens.

Buckey: I like that. It's very true.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OH no, no problem. but now I have your number. Muhwaaa hahaa!

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    OH no, no problem. but now I have your number. Muhwaaa hahaa!

The best time to get even with me is about 7:00am.[;)]

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    back on your topic I really would be interested in this next year if you want to do it again. Maybe you could get several members there next year!??!?!?

• Options
    edited November -1
    Taco, I had to listen to that phone message again. It was a pretty good one.[:0][:D][:p] Don't know why I had such a hard time understanding it last night.[:o)]

"J.C. it's only f'ing 9'oclock and you ain't got your damn phone on, this is Taco and I'm here with bang(bang yells in background), and yer never around when we f'ing need you. What the hell? (click)."

Bang: It would be great if we could. The land I hunt on is a National Park, and there is abosolutely no reason to ever hunt within 200 yards of anyone elses stand, and for each person to not have at least 2 stands up. Who knows how many acres, but I've yet to walk it all. I've had horseback riders come up and wonder where in God's name they were, and how to get back to civilization. It was really funny, because I only have to blink to get turned around in the woods, and I had to laugh at them when they asked me for directions. I said, "If I'm your only glimmer of hope, you two boys are screwed."

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a great time for next year. Unless something changes, you could count me in. Like I said, I live only a few hours from there and one of my buddies has been wanting to hunt that area also. Let's keep this one in mind when the summer heat hits. Any chance of meeting and doing a little scouting during the summer? I hate walking in blind.[:D]

Wait a sec! This isn't some ploy to get a Hoyt shooter into the woods and molest me is it??? I know that Mathews shooters are a little "FUNNY" if you catch me drift![:D][:D][:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    how much would out of state tags be I cant do it this year but maybe next

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe this will be the trip to bring the waders.

Slash(in my best Italian voice) funny like how? Like a clown? am I funny to you? I stoled that from movie.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well guys, I'm up for it! Don't forget that!!!

Zilla, Non-res permits will be a couple hundred. I'll pay for all your meals, since you are probably a poor college student.

If anyone is in for this year, shoot me an email, and we'll talk.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ben

you have mail
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Ben...if you are still on for this year, I might be up for it. Hiked all over the Shawnee with my Boy Scouts. Can't go the last week of OCT though. That is youth hunt weekend in TN. Gotta take the kids down there and let them get their 2 deer. Let me know the dates for sure and I can let you know. thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok Im out Not Going in the woods with any boy scout troop leaders. I have a reputation to protect.[}:)][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Ok Im out Not Going in the woods with any boy scout troop leaders. I have a reputation to protect.[}:)][:D][:D][:D][:D]

roflmao. Buckey, you've been quite the comedian lately.[:p]

Ben

iluvguns: a very tentative date is the weekend starting Friday Oct. 28th. I think that looks like a good moon phase period, which would probably explain why there's a youth hunt that weekend.

HOWEVER, I really havn't even firmly decided if I'm actually going to take the trip or not.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why Thankyou Benjamen I will take that as a compliment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    ben

you have mail

Shoff, I did not recieve an email. I tried to send you an email yesterday. Did you get mine?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like i did get it yesterday, just over looked it. I replied to yours. :)