In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

tree vs. ground

kindofsuddenkindofsudden Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
Okay, here is my situation. I need to put up a blind or stand to hunt from Oct. 1. Dad left me four tree stands but they are in Michigan and I won't have them by opening day. The big factor here is that I am hunting public land and don't want my stuff stolen. Another factor is that I have scouted the land and have a pretty good spot that will accommodate either an outhouse/doghouse-style blind (I have the smaller of the two and it is too small for archery or a tree stand, BUT due to certain circumstances I will need to put the stand/blind up before dark opening morning. So now I have to decide whether to buy a blind or a stand.

Blind pros/cons: Quick & easy set up, lighter to carry through dark woods, a bit of scent protection, only have one tiny blind so I would be adding some flexibility to my future blind/stand collection; I will have to practice shooting while sitting down (weird for me!), easy to steal.

Stand pros/cons: Less thievable, better view of the woods; probably a pain in the * to set up in the dark, already have four that I will possess in the next couple months.

Let me know what you all think of my predicament. I would also like input on :

- I think I want a spring steel blind as opposed to a framed blind due to portability and easy setup.
- Do I really have to sit and shoot out of a blind???
- Is there a tree stand that is really easy to set up in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Well first off you need to check your state laws. I know here in Ga you cant leave stands/blinds on public land past 12 the day after hunt.

Shoot on your knees..and sitting down. You never know what will happen.

Buy a climber... even a cheap one. Walmart has them for less than $100. They are not light but it is easy to rig a backpack strap and walk it in.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • kindofsuddenkindofsudden Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laws are good here in Hoosier land. Just can't leave them up before September and after the season.

I could probably practice some shooting from the knees and sitting down, but I am pretty deadly from the standing position right now, feeling good about my accuracy after a 20 year layoff in bowhunting, and I don't feel great about having to practice something new 3 days prior to opening morning. Am I over-dramatizing this?

Describe the climber. Just a straight-up pole with rungs shooting off the sides? I think I have seen those.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I love to ground hunt, but ground hunting w/ a bow is very difficult.

Get a climber, and within 10 hunts, you'll be able to set it up more quickly and quietly than a ground blind.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Until Next Year!!!
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would not leave either a stand or a blind on public land here. it will be gone next time you go. i would invest in a climber. i can set mine up and be seated and ready to shoot in less than 6 minutes. be picky with the stand you buy. some of them are very heavy. my favorite stand is my api grand slam supreme. very comfy but very heavy at 28lbs. its great for short hikes or to carry to a spot on a 4 wheeler. check out a company called Lone Wolf. they have stands now that are barely over 10 lbs and are decently comfortable.

***____________________________________________
    39 and counting.... deer that is.......***
    edited November -1
    In my situation I will be camping near the place where I will hunt. Basically my schedule will hunting opening morning, going fishing in the afternoon, nap, hunt the afternoon until after dark, repeat the next day. I will never be too far from my stand and my spot is as remote as you can get on the land. So I feel pretty comfortable leaving it up during the day, but when I leave the park after 4-5 days hunting, I will be taking it down.

So far I have lots of feedback on purchasing a stand and none on getting a blind. Is that the concensus?
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    You can very easily set up the new blinds in the dark with no noise at all. They are tall enough to shoot kneeling. I am going to use mine opening morning. lots of hunters that cant tree stand hunt are starting to use blnds with good sucess especially if you can get it behind a bush or clump of branches that has been there. The deer are already used to it. I have a spring steel sets up in under 1 min also take down in a couple of minutes W backpack straps plan on using it more this year. they also contain you scent. what I dont like limited view.[:(] Good luck which ever you decide and welcome to the forum.[;)]
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would just take your tent blind in and out with you. What part of the state are you in. I'm in Souther Indiana near Evansville.

My other thoughts on this are that I don't like to hunt from the ground especially with a bow. I would use my climber. It's exactly for this type of purpose.

Good luck and let me know where you hunt if you leave your blind in the woods. I'll keep an eye on it while you nap![:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
    edited November -1
    I will be hunting in the western part of Indiana. Using that information, I will let you find my blind!

What kind of climber do you have? Does it look like this?

__|__
    __|__
    __|__
    __|__
    --|--
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have blind and climbers, I prefer my climber in your situation. I have one that I won't be using this year but heavy at 32 lbs. bought the summit viper x5 this year it is 20 or 21 bigger platform comfortable, quiet set up. can't wait to sit in it Sat. morning.
    Like someone mentioned the Lone wolfs are nice, maybe check into summit too. I think all climbers come with backpack straps to carry in and out and most come with a harness also.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    Oh, come on! I would only "barrow" ir for a season or two! Just kidding! With that discription, I already have your location plotted on my GPS and the black suburban should be there momentarily.[:D][:D] Unless the black chopper gets there first!

Just glad to have someone on here from Indiana. But the big question is "what kind of bow do you shoot?"[:D] It's not one of those "m-a-t-h-e-w-s" is it? I can't even bring myself to say it![:D]

waco.gif

edited November -1
    Ok just remember you started it "hoyt boy".[:D][;)]

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    well by choice I prefer the climber also. but if he hasent scouted and is going in blind setting up a climer can sometines be noisy my advise to you if you do decide to use a climer be in that tree at least 1 and 1/2 hours b4 daylight. and hope you have clear lanes to shoot. I would still opt for the blind in this particular situation.hey Bang I have a summit too I really like it its light sturdy fairly quiet and really easy to use. no knobs or pins. I would buy another . lone wolfs are nice too but I think a little high on the price.[;)]
    edited November -1
    I will watch for your "black Suburban." You will know me when you see me, I will be sitting within sight of my stand with my "black" AR-15. haha.

Yes, I am working in Indianapolis and hunting wherever I can. This year it is bow season in state parks out west in the state and gun hunting in the Hoosier National Forest. I have to admit that I am a Michigan transplant and am just getting acclamated to the hunting and fishing possibilities down here.

After 20 years of not shooting bow, Dad passed away and left me his Browning Nitro 2. Not a "high end" bow, but I must say I am suprising myself with it at the range. I might be in the market for one of those high end rigs in the future, but for right now I will be honoring Dad by putting his old bow to use.

Again, the concensus seems to be to go with a stand. Okay, what stand is light (I have quite a haul in front of me) and, most importantly, EASY to set up quietly in the dark?
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I have scouted, but haven't set up a stand and/or shooting lanes. The area isn't all that cluttered up high, though.

I hear that I should use a stand, but that the best part of using a blind is I can take it with me in and out of the woods when I leave, thereby eliminating thieving.

Which is it???
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I think all climbers come with backpack straps to carry in and out and most come with a harness also.

NO !!!! they dont!!!!!! and it SUCKS when they dont let me tell you....

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I think all climbers come with backpack straps to carry in and out and most come with a harness also.

NO !!!! they dont!!!!!! and it SUCKS when they dont let me tell you....

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    I use an API stand. I had a Summit but traded it for the API. I didn't like the cable system on my Summit. It was a great stand otherwise though. As for backpack straps, I used a pair of "ALICE" pack straps from an Army surplus store. They work great and have an adjustment that helps getting it on and off your back. The only thing to watch out for is a little "metal to metal" noise from the buckle system on them. The straps should run about $10 or so and can attach to any stand.

Glad to hear about you using your Dad's bow. I used my late Brothers for two years before I retired it. Good luck with it this year because I was never able to take one with his bow.

waco.gif

edited November -1
    quote:lone wolfs are nice too but I think a little high on the price.
    The reason I bought the summit. I like it so far but I have only climbed power poles I don't have any trees yet, well not big enough to climb. A good thought buckey I didn't think about shooting lanes he may get in the tree only to find at daylight there is no good shot area.

quote:NO !!!! they dont!!!!!! and it SUCKS when they dont let me tell you....
    Wow that would suck, the two I have both came with them, straps and safety harness.

• Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only watchout I have for a climber is any limbs in your way on the way up. What I like to use in a situation like yours, is a portable blind I put together myself. I just bought a piece of camo military netting and built a frame out of PVC that I spray painted so it wouldn't stick out. The frame comes apart into 3' pieces, so I can tie them together in a bundle or just put everything in a backpack, or for the big blind I have, a duck decoy bag. The blind sets up anywhere quickly, quietly, and can be packed in and out easily. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than the commercial pop-ups.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    quote:probably a pain in the * to set up in the dark

U have no idea

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kindofsudden
    I have scouted, but haven't set up a stand and/or shooting lanes. The area isn't all that cluttered up high, though.

I hear that I should use a stand, but that the best part of using a blind is I can take it with me in and out of the woods when I leave, thereby eliminating thieving.

Which is it???

I carry my clilmber in and out. try your blind this time order a climber use it when it gets here. Either way would you just go hunt and stick a deer please![;)]

edited November -1
    Yeah, no kidding. Gotta get in the woods; opening day is Saturday. I am going with a blind for ease of setup and the ability to take it with me when I leave the woods. I am now officially paranoid about leaving anything there.

Been looking at the Roundhouse blind. Anyone have any experience with that one?
    edited November -1
    Just get a 79 dollar pop up thats what I got it works great can shoot all sides. Dicks sporting goods has them. Get it today spray it down good and get the damb thing outside to get the scent off it[:0] or you aint gonna see a deer at all.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. Picked up an Ameristep BigHouse TSC. A little expensive (nowhere near the Double Bull though!), but I just set it up and aired it, then shot a couple dozen arrows out of it. I love it. Not too heavy, REALLY easy to set up, and big enough to take stand-up shots out of it.

Anyone ever use the shoot-through mesh? I can't see how it could possibly NOT affect the travel of the arrow, so I will be opening the windows.
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt from a Summit Bushmaster XL climber that weighs only 16 lbs. I wanted a superlight, portable climber and this thing is ideal. I also have a Lone Wolf Alpha hang on stand weighing only 10 lbs. that I use with a set of API Quick Sticks that are 20 ft. high and only weigh 15 lbs. I can have the Lone Wolf and Quick Sticks set up in a couple of minutes. The Lone Wolf climbers are awesome but, hit your wallet pretty hard.
    I have no use for any stand that is big and heavy. Big and heavy are for permanent stands.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got done assembling my new Summit Goliath. I am a bigger guy that needs a little room in a stand and this fit the bill perfectly. I have used the Viper, and Python as well, but was a little cramped feeling. The Summit stands are not cheap. Mine was $280 after sales tax. They are also super steady, and comfortable. Worth every penny!
    Good luck on your decision and coming hunts.
    edited November -1
    NEWS FLASH!!!

It doesn't matter what you are sitting in if you get all set up, draw your bow for good measure, say to yourself "hey, why do my sights look funny?" then realize that one of the screws broke off and your sights are doing the hokey-pokey ("you put your green pin in, your put your green pin out....).

Streaming sweat, getting comfortable, practice pull, hunt is over. Damnit.