In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

MAJOR shooting Problem! HELP!

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, I am running out of time and options. I have been shooting every night this week and I feel that I cannot hit well enough to hunt this weekend. I could not put 5 arrows into a 10" plate at 20 yards to save my *! I am probably going to go back to a peep sight. Does anyone have any recommendations on which peep to go back to? I have a buddy at Bass Pro now, so I can have it this weekend. I don't know what else to do. The only thing that I can think of that can be causing my problems is the Hind Sight. I did change my whisker biscuit but it doesn't appear to have thrown my set up that far off to cause my lack of grouping problem. In all honesty, my best group at 20 yards this week would be 12" to 14" and that is my best out of a week of shooting. Does anyone else have any ideas because I'm out of them at this point. Oh, please keep any Hoyt/Mathews jokes out of this. With tomorrow being opening day, I'm not really in the mood.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    honestly, i don't like to say things about equipment, as i dont' like to offend anyone, but it might be the biscuit. i shot one for a year and i had wild groups too. really wild. its too late to change it tho, especially for in the morning.

are you consistently shooting in one direction or are the arrows all over the place?

as for peeps, i dont' know the name of it but some of my friends have switched to ones that have 4 fibre optic dots on them. they make a cross pattern which really helps line your site pin to the center of the peep. that would be my suggestion.

whatever you decide, do it quickly and best of luck tomorrow.

***____________________________________________
    39 and counting.... deer that is.......***
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Slash what did you change in the last 2 days? 2 Days ago you sid it was shooting fine... maybe knocked something out. I would not be changeing equipment now.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now there is no way I'm hunting this weekend. Not until I know that I can make the shot count. I would like to think that I could still hunt but I'm the type that just won't take the risk now. (The rut would be a different story.)

As for what has happened in the last two days. I was still hitting sporadic and was hoping that I would be able to calm down and start grouping but it just hasn't happened. I have been shooting every night for the last week and a half and I haven't improved at all. I am serious when I say that I cannot put 5 arrows into a paper plate at 20 yards. That is just unacceptable for me and my personal standards. I should be stacking them in and have 5 arrows touching at 20 yards maybe even out to 30.

Right now my plan is to wait for my buddy to get home on Saturday. (He is much better at fine tuning a bow than I am.) I'll check my setup as is and see what we find. It is possible that this new biscuit is more different than the old one than I thought. That's what I hope it is because I REALLY like the Hind Sight. If my setup isn't too far off, then I will go back to a peep and hope for the best.

waco.gif

• danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Target Panic? It happens to some archers that shoot a lot, mostly competition and tournament guys but if you have been shooting a lot to get ready for the season.....maybe.

0311 semper fi
  • excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, now, tune your bow. Are you shooting with a release aid? Did you shoot with a peep before? then if it is target panic stand about 5 feet away from your target and shoot for form, with your eyes closed and feel the shot and back up every 20 shots or so and shoot this way for a day for starters. If your shooting a release aid and dont have target panic slowly squeeze your release like pulling your finger through peanut butter.. hope this helps and good luck...

excalibur
    edited November -1
    I didn't hunt this morning and I put my old WB back on. I went out and shot and did okay at 10 yrds but sucked again at 20. SO, my opening weekend is over. I'm going back to a peep tomorrow and then shoot like crazy next week to try and be ready for next weekend. I use a release and I used a peep for two years prior to this year. I think the peep cost me a nice buck last year was why I wanted to get rid of it. This all means, back to the drawing board for me and my weekend is over before it got started. Thanks for all of the input and hope everyone elses weekend went better than mine.

waco.gif

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its in your head. Visualize the shot, go through your routine.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good point Dave [:)] The more I shoot groups start getting bigger [B)]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
    edited November -1
    quote:Just a thought, could you be shooting to much? The more I shoot fatiuge gets me real fast. I quess that would show up as a the groups starting ok then getting bigger.

Seems dead on the money. After I read this yesterday, I shot a few and stopped for a few then shot again. My groups were tighter for sure. I was able to hold 5 arrows in a 6" circle at 20 yrds. I didn't go back any further and I still didn't hunt any this weekend. I plan on shooting everyday this week and seeing how I'm doing toward the weekend.

waco.gif

• surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey thats great just don't over do it [:)] I didnt make it out this weekend either [:(].

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    perhaps you were in a funk- any chance have you recently upped the poundage?
    My archery guy a month ago turned my bow up from 60 to 65 lbs- talk about erratic! I tried shooting it for a week-lost a lot of arrows in the brush behind my 3 fx3 foot tArget. Turned it down to 63 lbs- shoots great now.

I would also caution against changing ANYTHING within a month of hunting season-for me I dont change anything after August.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    I didn't change the weight just rest and Hind Sight. I'm pretty sure that it was just my lack of shooting before season that has caused my problems. Then on top of that, I probably over reacted. I just hated to miss my opening weekend. But one thing that made me feel a little better was that it was FREAKING HOT here. The highs were in the 80's and we all know that sucks for hunting. But now I've got to get focused and get things dialed in for this coming weekend.

waco.gif