In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What size would you let walk?

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is the situation in Indiana. We can only harvest ONE buck all year. (the only exception would be a special "draw" hunt.) After seeing Taco's post, it got me thinking. How big of a deer would you let walk knowing it would be the only buck you can LEGALLY take? I would probably let anything 120 or so walk. Anything over that, I'd have to shoot. How about the rest of you?

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    If I could only tag one buck per year, I wouldn't have tagged the one I shot the other day. In fact, I wouldn't tag anything that I wouldn't put on my wall.

Ben

00tinybuck.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Not sure I can't measure.[:D][;)] I agree with ben, if I could only take one, it would have to be a wall hanger.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    I just dont know , I have allways hunted for meat and most times the younger ones are what I look for.

Say nothing, Just smile and make them guess how much you know....

Ya know, I hear a lot of people say that the younger taste better but my opinion is the opposite. I think the older ones have better flavor. I guess I am just wierd that way.[^] And probably many other ways.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Depends what part of the season for me[:0] in the begining they get a pass. After last year, any decent deer after Dec I'm shooting. No fawns
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since we can take 2 bucks in Illinois is the only reason I threw an arrow at the one Sat. I always like to keep at least 1 buck tag for firearm season just in case. Last year I let a nice young 10 walk away 3 times because I alreay had 1 buck. Then during shotgun season some idiot ran him down with a 4 wheeler and shot him on my private hunting spot. Claimed he didn't know the guy owned it[}:)]

"Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool"anim_naughty.gif
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in your situation, with only 1 tag, i would try to hold out for PY. especially in a state that has such large deer.

***____________________________________________
    39 and counting.... deer that is.......***
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in a similar situation where I can only shoot 1 buck in the county I hunt. I either wait for a wall hanger or will shoot a spike for my buck. The spikes usually wait until the end of the season.
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With one buck tag available in Ohio I let the youngsters walk regardless of the time of the year. Usually some gun hunter shoots them but, I want nothing less than a P&Y qualifier preferring to give the little bucks a chance to mature. It's not like there is a doe shortage anywhere.
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I perfer young tender sweet doe's myself.Somthing I can tie its legs together and pack it out of the woods on my shoulder soots me just fine.Having said that we can shoot two deer of any sex in OK.My self I'm all about the meat .[:o)]

MLMorgan
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Well if it's got a messed up rack where it's gonna put bad genes in the breeding stock (notice how my deer are similar to cattle [:D]) I'll take it anytime of the season.
    If it's less than 10 points and has a nice rack it'll walk by me until mid December, after that it had it's chance.
    It's just as fun to harvest a doe with long, wide ears as it is a buck.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    anything thats not a spike.does get shot depending on where im at. around my house i try and take a doe every other year depending on how many deer I saw the past year. I know this year I think does around my 400 acres will probable be walking due to the fact that my neighborhood amish shot 15 does last year

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't let does walk by,way to many of them here, bucks he'ed have to be 8 pts or more 125" up. We can take 1 buck w/bow ,1 w/firearm seasons(shotguns) / or muzzleloader. up too 3 does every season total of 9

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)