In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opening day story

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
I arrived in my huntin' town last night. I went out with some old friends and got hammered. Slept until noon today. Went to the woods at about 2:00. Sat and wished that I had brought a bottle of water because man, I was dry. Also wished that I'd brought a face mask, that would've been real nice. Then suddenly it was all worth it. Out of the corner of my eye I caught the sight of a small doe coming towards me. It came in to about 10 yards, but was right behind my tree. I had to do the hokey-pokey and turn myself around, but I still couldn't get a shot. Then she decides to lay down. Well, I finally had to sit too, so I just sat down on the rail of my climber, still facing the tree. I sat on that damn rail watching her chew her cud and groom just about 15 yards from me w/ absolutely no shot. She was there for over an hour. The mosquitos were buzzing my ears, and my butt was going numb from sittin on that damn rail. So I'm trying to be still while shifting my weight from cheek to cheek, and letting mosquitos land and take what they want. I needed to cough because it felt like I smoked friggin' pine cones last night, but I somehow managed to hold it back. C'MON DEER GET UP AND LET ME SHOOT YOU!!! I'm sitting there thinking "Man, I'm screwed if a deer comes up behind me" when I suddenly hear the unmistakeable "CRUNCH-CRUNCH-CRUNCH". I look over my shoulder and see horns coming in at about 30 yards. Holy crap!!! I get up and turned around w/out the other deer seeing me, and now this buck is about 3 yards from my tree. I'm sticking out like a sore thumb: A thumb with no face mask. I draw and he sees me, then takes off like his * is on fire. He stopped at 25 yards to take one more look at what I am, and THWACK. Arrow went right where it was supposed to. I do love when they do that!!! I look back to see what that other doe is doing, and she's just still laying there with a "Ho-hum, just another day in the ghetto" look on her face. So first I go ahead and get that damn cough out of my throat. She still doesn't move. Then, I say to her, "You're a fuggin' idiot! I'm a hunter and I've been trying to kill you." So she gets up, walks to the front of my tree and looks up at me. Now I realize that this is just a big doe-fawn. So I repeat myself. "You are STU-PID!!! You're dumb, I can kill you right now!" She just keeps looking at me from about 8 yards. So I lower my bow, climb down, and as soon as my feet hit the ground she just kind of prances off. Oh, but back to the buck.

Basket 9. about 165lbs dressed.

93e9ae03.jpg

HPIM0015.jpg

I feel sorry for all you guys that have to waste your time "practicing", and getting up at the butt-crack of dawn. [:p]

00tinybuck.gif

Comments