In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dang buck fever

hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
i got it last night for some reason.

i got in my stand and got settled in at 6pm. about 6:10 3 does fed by me at around 60 yards away. at 6:20 a nice 6 pointer popped around the ridge and slowly, repeat, s-l-o-w-l-y, fed his way to me. i still had enough light to shoot when he finally gave me a 28 yard broadside shot. i drew back and i was shaking so hard that i couldn't even hold my sights on his vitals. i had to let him walk. what i want to know is why in the world did i get so shaky? it really made me upset that i wasn't able to control myself better than that. what do ya'll do to keep yourself calm? i can understand getting that excited if it was a PY buck, but not a little 6. HELP!

***____________________________________________
39 and counting.... deer that is.......***

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    It just happens sometimes. when too much adrenalin flows.

Guess what when you dont get excited time to hang up the bow chalk it up and keep on trucking[;)]
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shakes are part of the game. I shake every time I try to take a shot. I find that the best thing for me is to concentrate on the shot and not the animal. Just approach it as if it were a practice shot, not at an animal, just like you did 1000 times before the season. I find that getting in that mindset lets me make the shot, but then the shakes hit again after the shot.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, i generally do focus on the shot. and i have never gotten the shakes that bad. EVER! i tried controlling my breathing but that didn't work. i think/hope maybe some of it was i was turned around backwards in my climber and it was an awkward shot and i had forgot my safety strap in my truck.

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Racer... I noticed you are from Lynchburg. My daughter was in Huddleston this weekend. Hopefully I will be up that way around thanksgiving and do some hunting in my brothers vineyards. Meet for a beer or maybe ya want to join me on some private land (vineyard).

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Racer, it might be because it's the first buck that you've seen since last year.

Ben

00tinybuck.gif
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    It could be the pictures on the forum[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Racer, it might be because it's the first buck that you've seen since last year.

Ben

00tinybuck.gif

not that at all. i've already killed an 8 pointer this year. and a doe. and i've seen a 5 pointer, another 6 pointer, and 2 spikes. and tons of does. i dunno why it hit me tho.

gagirl, huddleston is about ..... well....not very far at all from where i work. maybe 10 minutes. i'd gladly take you up on a vineyard hunt. i might know your brother if he is from around here.

edited November -1
    Racer... he and his wife own Savoy-Lee Winery in Huddleston. Heard of it?

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl

smilie_schuetze.gif

is that up near johnson mountain road? i know there is a big vineyard up there, and its "lee" something.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl

smilie_schuetze.gif

Um Like I know the names of the streets... yeah ok.... outside of Huddleston... but with huddleston addy is all I know...

is that up near johnson mountain road? i know there is a big vineyard up there, and its "lee" something.

smilie_schuetze.gif