In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

API Grand Slam setup

armcandyarmcandy Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
I am new at this and need an experienced step by step procedure getting setup at the tree, climbing, locking, unlocking and decent.

Thanks

Armcandy

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Be careful follow the manufactures instructions or go pick up a video plenty on the market. just use good sense and dont take any unnecessary chances. ***************** Wear your safety harness or belt[;)]
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an API now. If you don't have directions with the stand or if you can't find a video, let me know and I'll be happy to send you the steps. Unless you want me to post them on here, I'll PM them to you. They could be some lengthy steps and a lot to post. Just let me know. In my opinion, good choice on the API!

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm a tad bored this morning, so i figured i'd tackle this one to the best of my very unliterary ability. i have an api grand slam, so...

1. select a suitable tree. typically i like trees with soft bark so i get a good bite into the tree. also no limbs.
    2. set the top section of your stand up first. face the tree (i'm left handed, so you might have to reverse some of this) and grab the right rail of the stand with your right hand (all referernces on the ground are as looking at the stand) and place the left rail of the stand on your right thigh. unhook the left side of the chain and swing it around the tree. use your left hand to catch the chain and feed it into the tube and lock it in place. remember to angle the front of your stand upward, because as you climb, the tree gets smaller and your stand will level out.
    3. repeat procedure for bottom section
    4. dont' forget to tie the two sections together with rope. dont' ask me how i know
    5. pull yourself up onto the stand so you are standing inside the top part, and on top of the bottom part.
    6. insert your feet into the straps and get them snug on your feet.
    7. pull the elastic band around your heels so the stand doesn't slip off while mid-climb.
    8. grab the two rails of the top section of the stand and raise the stand up as far as you comfortably can. then, while doing a push-up of sorts with your arms, lift you feet up as high as you can. some people prefer to sit on the shooting rest of the stand while moving the lower platform up. repeat this until you get to your desired height
    9. hook up your safety harness
    10. flip up the back rest and attach it to tree at desired height
    11. hunt.
    12. unhook backrest from tree
    13. unhook safety harness
    14. lock feet into straps
    15. repeat step 8, only in reverse this time. take small bites until you feel comfortable.
    16. go all the way to the ground
    17. unchain the bottom section first, then the top

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, with a tree in your yard before you attempt this is the dark woods. also experiment with different sized trees in order to get your angle of the platform correct. trees that shrink dramatically as they get taller will require a more severe angle when hanging the stand.

i hope this helped. its kinda like explaining how to ride a bike. its easier to show someone.

***____________________________________________
    39 and counting.... deer that is.......***
    edited November -1
    quote:dont' forget to tie the two sections together with rope. dont' ask me how i know

How do you know?[:D]

waco.gif

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    quote:dont' forget to tie the two sections together with rope. dont' ask me how i know

How do you know?[:D]

waco.gif

good thing i had a cell phone in my pocket, huh?

edited November -1
    I rigged mine up with my "umbilical cord" tied to one piece and then had a small clip for the other. That way I could easily seperate them while attaching them to the tree and then quickly connect them again without having to tie them over and over again.

waco.gif

• armcandyarmcandy Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help.

Armcandy
    edited November -1
    did that clarify what you were asking? were there any specific questions?

• armcandyarmcandy Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two questions.

Are you supposed to attach the belt with the metal locking clip and "s" hooks to the seat or standing section or both? I cannot see how you can reach the lower standing section once you are in the tree.

Thanks again

Armcandy
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what belt you are referring to. On my stand there is an elastic band that has "S" hooks on each end but it's attached to the back rest. That wraps around the tree to hold the back rest up. My stand also has a strap that, once you are at the height you want to hunt at, you put it around the tree and the back part of the stand up against the tree to help "lock" the stand in place. These are the only two straps that I can think of.

edited to add: I just thought of one other strap. This is some type of rope or belt to connect the two pieces together. I call it an "umbilical cord". It's kind of like a life line to keep the foot section from falling off your feet and down the tree to a point where you can't reach it. This is what hsracer and I were talking about earlier in this post. On my stand, like I said, I have one end tied and the other with a clip. That way I can separate the two pieces so that I can have more room to move when I am attaching and removing the stand from the tree. This is an important strap.

Reaching the lower platform isn't easy once you are in the stand. I generally will use the elastic strap to wrap up the seat and back rest to help hold them out of my way while I climb and get settled in at height. When I do need to reach the lower section for things like getting my toes under the toe strap, putting the band behind my heels for climbing, or taking that band off my heels, I will just squat down and stretch! It's not easy but doable.

One thing to keep in mind is to practice with your stand before trying to hunt with it. Hsracer got the steps pretty good but you'll still need to practice before you actually try and hunt. It takes a lot of energy and strength to climb even with one like your API. Find a small tree and take time and attach and remove your stand. Climb a few feet. Be careful of going to high at first until you get used to it. Also, pay attention on how the parts come apart and go back together for packing it. Sometimes, getting them back together isn't as easy as 1,2,3. Good luck and we're here if you have any other questions.

waco.gif

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Armcandy get a video on the stand or have somone demonstrate it for you. A picture is worth a thousland words. Dont take any chances if your not real sure you can seriously injure yourself then the hunts over for good. There may even be some on-line demonstrations. Safety First............ Those guys did a fantastic job with the instructions they gave.[:)] But you still have questions so for your own sake watch a video[;)] and the little light in your head will go on[;)][;)] good luck.. Great Job with the step by step guys.