In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what call to use

rjv140rjv140 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
i am going out tommorrow night and saturday do you think it is too early to use the grunt call b/c the rut is a few weeks away i know of an area with several big bucks and alot of doe what call would you recommend for this weekend by the way i am in northeast PA

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably nothing rut won't start for another month. Just getting inbetween bedding and food is what to do right now.
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd use the grunt call but, not aggressively. I'd definitely use a doe/fawn bleat. It may not be time for the rut but, if a doe comes "in" (estrous) early you can guarantee somebuck out there will happily accommodate her needs. Grunting very well may worry the younger bucks but, I'd grunt at a big mature buck to get his attention if I needed to.
    Technically, the "rut" begins for a buck when he sheds his velvet and the days begin to grow noticeably shorter. Bucks begin sparring and establishing dominance at this time. Bucks begin making scrapes, territorial for the most part, and rubs. I found two huge scrapes tonight. I routinely find scrape lines at the end of September where I live. I'm not talking about 3 or 4 scrapes but, more like 8 to 10 around field/woodlot perimeters to let the other deer folk know who the "landowner" is.
    Don't be afraid to try something different but, keep it casual right now. Be prepared to accept failure if the attempt doesn't get the desired results. That's how you gain knowledge and experience.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I use a true talker

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.