In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hoyt Problem

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
Actually, I'm not sure I have a problem or what, but I need some ideas. I bought a new Hoyt bow today. A Havotec. It is a 2003 model, but still new and unfired. I bought it at a pawn shop that is a Hoyt dealer, but I don't think he knows too much about the technical side. Anyway, the draw length is like 27" TO 31". It is a single cam bow. I believe he called it Versa-Cam. The top is a round wheel, and the bottom is a cam. He adjusted the cam all the way to the positive side, and he said it was 31". When I pulled it back, there was no way it was 31". On the bottom cam, there is also some drilled holes with a peg screwed into one of the holes that serves as a cable stop. Do I also move that peg to adjust the draw length. Also, when I tried shooting it, I was out of sight adjustment, and the arrow was still 5 feet above the target. I checked the tiller measurement. They were the same at 8-15/16". The nock is set at about 1/16th above level. The peep sight is at about 6-1/2". If I move the peep sight closer to the arrow, will that drop the point of impact of the arrow. The bow is set at 58 pounds, and I am shooting a 31" 2216 arrow. I use a Tru-Ball Tornado release. Anybody have any ideas, other than go to a pro shop for some assistance?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A proshop would probably be the best place to take it.

Did you check your axle to axle? And the brace height?

Check this out for the measurements

http://www.hoyt.com/technical/mychart.tpl?page=02_havoctec.inc&cart=11290888951411623
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    quick hoyt bows never has a problem deleat this post before the "other" guys see this and make fun of us hoyt shooters

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    quick hoyt bows never has a problem deleat this post before the "other" guys see this and make fun of us hoyt shooters

their just not man enough to admit that they have problems every once in a while. [:p]
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    i know i wouldnt admit it on here id never hear the end of it

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm only guessing but it sounds like there could be more than one problem going on. I would take it to a different pro-shop and have them help you adjust your draw length and then ask them about what could be causing your shot placement problems. Also, I would ask if there is anything that could be cause for this bow to have still been "new" and on the shelf since 2003. That seems odd to me.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Shoulda bought a mathews. Just kiddin', I would take it to a shop also. If you can find one like I go to you are required to bring a cooler of barley sodas and talk lots of crap while you wait. I love that shop!!![:D]
    Good luck and let us know how it comes out!!
    Oh, congrats on your new purchase!

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.