In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How long

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
does it take oats to grow? The place I have been hunting has...umm... about 25-30 food plots (found 2 more this weekend) Honestly I have no idea how many there are.... anyway they planted them all with oats early last week. The turkey are tearing them up, but I have never hunted over oats and really know nothing about them.(outside of the fact I really like Granola and oatmeal [^]) I figure about 30-60 days and the deer should be back on the plots.

I know that the areas I hunt are alot different then what you guys hunt up there. We walked thru a good 1-1.5 mile of cypress swamp this weekend and found a few spots in the back that are oak hammocks but I just cant see myself tromping back there in the dark by myself. ( only about .5 mile from big indian burial ground) Dark + swamp+ burial ground= Nadine very freaked out.

So back to the topic... how long for oats to grow? and what do you guys hunt over?

its all about pucks and bucks
smilie_schuetze.gif

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    7 1/2" oops[:I] forgot to read the rest of the thread.[:0][:D][:D]
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    7 1/2" oops[:I] forgot to read the rest of the thread.[:0][:D][:D]

[:0] wait maybe thats NOT the appropriate emoticon....[:D] yeah thats the one...

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Thanks for having a sense of humor. still warm in GA. movement probley slow.[?]
    edited November -1
    Buckey not only is it warm but we have had nothing but storm after storm. It has been raining for over 24 hours straight now. We are supposed to have rain all week too. Hopefully they will hold up some and then be out and moving this weekend.

and What like you didnt think I had a sense of humor.... please...

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Bummer that stinks. [xx(]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oats are very similar to grass. Depending on depth you planted them at, you should start seeing them in two to three weeks. Did you add some fertilizer?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    oats are very similar to grass. Depending on depth you planted them at, you should start seeing them in two to three weeks. Did you add some fertilizer?

Shoff I was not the one who planted them. I would have to say yes on the fert because the other night when I was leaving there was an empty bag on the rd I stopped and picked it up and it was a fert bag. The oats were planted what looked to be about 1/4 in deep. We have had tons of rain lately and I saw some sprouting already this weekend. Just really wondering what to expect about hunting over oats since I never have before.
    Do the deer eat them when they are just sprouting too? I would figure they would, but I have been wrong before.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    well, to be honest, oats are the best thing to hunt over imo, but they may work. They will be greener longer then most things, although you are in the south, that may not matter. I wouldn't start hunting them until you see tracks in them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    well, to be honest, oats are the best thing to hunt over imo, but they may work.

that confused me... do you think they are good or are NOT good?
    I see tons of oat products being sold for deer food plots.....

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    haha, i forgot the word "not"

I don't think oats are the best thing to hunt over. The probably will work, but I think there are better things, like corn, alfalfa, oak trees. This is just my opinion from hunting along a wheat field one year. Its grass, they can get grass in a lot of places, its that special, different tasting food that seems to bring them closer.
    edited November -1
    Well I guess then since we dont have fields of grain or corn in my area it may work really well....God knows we have acorns everywhere...

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey gagirl, what's your signature mean? pucks? you into hockey or something?

***____________________________________________
    39 and counting.... deer that is.......***
    edited November -1
    gagirl

a suggestion maybe to add some sort of broadleaf like white clover or red clover. If your going to get a lot of rain, you may not even need to plant the seeds, just spread them out. And the clover will still be there next year. There is another broadleaf plant i am thinking of, but i can't put a name to it.
    edited November -1
    Shoff... .I have no control over what is planted where I am hunting. Clover? plant clover in south Ga? are you insane? like we dont have enough of that stuff already......

hsracer... YES!!! I LOVE HOCKEY.... starts again tonight too whoo hoooo!!!!

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:There is another broadleaf plant i am thinking of, but i can't put a name to it.

Chicory?

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most deer activity I've ever seen in one spot was under a walnut tree during the muzzleloader season. Yep, my stand was in that tree and boy did I have the pick of the litter! I'm guessing you don't want to wait for a tree to grow that large though.