In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

off subject question

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
Anyone know much about snow blowers? My in-laws want one for their gravel driveway and my wife wants us to get it for them for Chistmas. I didn't think a snow blower would work very well in a gravel drive.... anyone opinions/experience? Good brands?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a BIG one. Those smalls ones just suck when in deeper snow. I was trying to do my grandma's drive way with one that is supposed to be able get like 10 inch snow. Well, we got 20+ the day before Christmas and I did one path and gave up cause it just didn't have the power. We put a tractor on a trailer and did it that way instead. It just didn't have enough power. Its a torro with 4hp briggs.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Snow.... whats that?
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a neighbor that used one in their gravel drive and broke out another neighbors window. Other than that I hear they BLOW[:D]
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Hey Sus... just buy our tractor.....
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Half of my driveway is gravel "for now". You can snow blow it but it can be a pain in the *. First get a two stage blower if you live anywhere that gets more that 3 or 4 inches of snow at one time. Second electric start is vey nice for older folks, well really all folks to have.

Now as for that gravel drive. on the outside bottom of the blower in the front it will ride on adjustable metal "ski's". What you need to do is adjust them till the rotating blades are a couple inches off the gravel. This helps to keep the gravel out of the blower. you will not be able to get the drive completley clean. there will be an inch or so of snow under the blades. Also the first couple times of the season or after a thaw it will be more difficult to run the blower because the "ski's" will get caught in the gravel. You have to push down on the handle lifting the ski's off the gravel a bit. Once a bit of hard packed snow is built up covering the gravel you can drop those ski's down a few inches. Good Luck.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help everyone!! Good information

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent