In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hoyt Superslam

armcandyarmcandy Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
Need a little advice about the above. A buddy is looking at them and needs some input.

Armcandy

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    don't let your wife drive over them with her car, if you stay away from that their a darn fine bow, I used one for years.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Hoyt RezorTec and love it. It's fast, quite and shoots good. I would highly recommend any Hoyt (or anything over a Mathwes![:D])

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    I have a Hoyt RezorTec and love it. It's fast, quite and shoots good. I would highly recommend any Hoyt (or anything over a Mathwes![:D])

waco.gif

ouch!!

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoyt makes top of the line bows

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    akordboyakordboy Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the super slam is actually made by reflex, which is a sister company of Hoyt.

Anybody know anything about Reflex Bows??

Jeff
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by akordboy
    Anybody know anything about Reflex Bows??

Just the fact that they feel like hoyts, shoot like hoyts, and look like hoyts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So if it look like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...then..well you know. [:D]

I'm thinking of either going with the superslam or the buckskin

Thanks for the input!! [:D]

Jeff
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own one... I like it...Alot![^]

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    remember though that the "slam in a half" aka cam and a half on the relfex bows only moves in increments of 1" rather then .5"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so, correct me if I'm wrong. With that cam, if my draw is 28.5, I'd either have to go with 28" or 29"? Which ever feels better.

Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yep, or you could twist or untwist your string a little to get it closer to 28.5 but an half an inch would be a lot of twisting. Farther then I would go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for you help Shoff14!!

I'm inclined to get the SuperSlam. Dick's Sportinggoods has it on sale through Oct. 28th for $399.

Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:akordboy Posted - 10/18/2005 : 08:47:26 AM

I'm inclined to get the SuperSlam. Dick's Sportinggoods has it on sale through Oct. 28th for $399.

Jeff

I'm curious to know if you plan on hunting with it this season. In my opinion, now isn't the time to be buying a new bow if you plan to hunt this season because we owe it to the animals we hunt to be as clean with the kill as possible. This means that we need to put in the time to practice before hand. I don't know what skill level you have or what your background in archery is, but I would highly suggest you don't hunt with a bow that you haven't bought yet. (if that's what you intend to do.) Archery is a great sport and I am glad that you are getting invloved.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    quote:akordboy Posted - 10/18/2005 : 08:47:26 AM

Jeff

I'm curious to know if you plan on hunting with it this season. In my opinion, now isn't the time to be buying a new bow if you plan to hunt this season because we owe it to the animals we hunt to be as clean with the kill as possible. This means that we need to put in the time to practice before hand. I don't know what skill level you have or what your background in archery is, but I would highly suggest you don't hunt with a bow that you haven't bought yet. (if that's what you intend to do.) Archery is a great sport and I am glad that you are getting invloved.

waco.gif

Nope, not hunting with it this year. [:D] I want to get as much practice in as possible and become as skilled as possible before hunting archery. My brother, who is an avid archer, is going to work with me. [;)]

Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear it. I hope I didn't come across to harsh but I have seen all too often people who call themselves "hunters" and buy a new bow the week before the season opens and think they can be accurate enough to take an animal. It's good that you also have a source for help. Keep us posted on your progress! Welcome again.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. You did come across kinda harsh, but I also understood where you were coming from. [:D] My brother has been bugging me a number of years to go archery hunting with him. I've just been putting it off until this year. This seems more of a challange than rifle hunting. Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt with my rifle. But there is just something about arhery hunting that intrigues me.

If there's any advice that you'd like to give, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jeff
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoyt did not hang the reflex label on the superslam until recently. For years it was hoyt superslam now looks like it is reflex superslam supreme. Made by hoyt and given the reflex name to calm retailers and pro-shops. Hoyt is the parent company not the sister company.

0311 semper fi
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    My advise is, take me to your huntin ground and let a Mathews shooter show you how its done.[:D][;)]
    Best advise I can give you is try not to sleep in the stand, deer are hard to see with your eyes closed.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    akordboy

You say dicks has them for $400? Have you looked at any of the Hoyt bows? The UltraMaq and Ultrasport are great bows. The Ultrasport comes with the same limbs as those that are on the Reflex bows. Most can be had right now for under 400, they are making changes to them for next year. The UltraMaq has the same riser as the Ultrasport, but it has the XT2000 limbs which are laminated. Ultramaqs run around 400 or so. I got mine for 430. I shot both an Ultrasport and Ultramag, the laminated limbs made a big difference and for the difference in price was worth it. The bow was quiter and had less vibration with the laminated limbs.

Also, this is your first bow, go to a proshop and get set up. I hate it to hear you are going to go to dicks, dicks doesn't know dick about bows. Where your proshop will at least hopefully they will.

And check out the Ultramaq you may be suprised.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Amrcandy

I don't think we can help you here. I have heard of the bow and they are at least 5 years old. I looked for some information on the Hoyt website, but there was none. Maybe you could try www.archerytalk.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If there's any advice that you'd like to give, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jeff

Advice... I would say one of the biggest other than practice as much as possible would be to do everything you can to control your scent. I may go overboard but I keep my hunting clothes in a scent proof bag with baking soda. It's a carbon type to help eliminate odors and I use a scent killer spray. Then I always pay attention to the wind when choosing a stand to hunt.

Something else that I do that helped me when I was starting was mix up your distances when praticing. Don't get into a set spot that you shoot from. Change the angle and the spot where you shoot from occasionaly. This will help prevent you from automaticly knowing that "this spot is 25 yards and this is where I need to hold my pin to hit." It will help you make yourself judge the distance each shot and should help in the long run for you.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was looking at those Hoyt Bows. I'll probably leave work early one day and head over the Lancaster Archery to get fitted. I'll see what kind of deal they can give me one a bow.

As far as scent, I keep all my gear in a duffle bag with earth scent fabric softner sheets. Boy, my wife gives me hell when I open that up in the house. [:D] I'm heading out muzzleloader hunting this weekend. Only seen a buck and two doe last Saturday. Couldn't get a good shot off though. Where we're going this weekend, there is alot of deer. Hopefully I score this weekend. [;)]

Thanks alot guys for the advice. It'll help out alot. [:D]

Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lancaster seems to be the place to go. [^] I just ordered some stuff from them over the weekend.

You will defently get a deal on a one of the Hoyt bows. The new catalog just came out on Monday and everyone is raving over their new design and parallel limbed bow. And the fact that the Ultramag and sport are being changed, you should be able to get a good deal on them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Lancaster seems to be the place to go. [^] I just ordered some stuff from them over the weekend.

You will defently get a deal on a one of the Hoyt bows. The new catalog just came out on Monday and everyone is raving over their new design and parallel limbed bow. And the fact that the Ultramag and sport are being changed, you should be able to get a good deal on them.

Do you live in PA??

Jeff
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no, ohio and indiana
  • Options
    edited November -1