In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

who got you into bowhunting?

hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
since i asked, i will start.

a buddy of mine back in 9th grade started bowhunting. he started killing deer earlier than i did because i had to wait till muzzleloading season. this got me jealous, so i started bowhunting also. i tried it for about 3 years and gave up for two years. then i picked it back up in 2001 and i dont' ever plan on quitting again.

so who got you into it? a friend, a parent, yourself?

39 and counting...

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang Racer, your story sounds almost identical to mine. I started in 10th grade after my buddy started in 9th grade. I've archery hunted almost exclusively since then. About 4 years after I started archery hunting, I took about 5 years off from deer hunting. Since I got back into deer hunting, I feel like I'm cheating when I pull the rifle out any more.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started bow hunting when I was 14. My older bother got me interested. He had a bow and was just starting to hunt when he was killed when I was 12. I was never able to hunt with him and he never was able to get a deer. I've made up for him though![:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Nwatson99Nwatson99 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neighbor, him and his brother were big time into bow hunting.

gallery_1_11_351.png
    http://www.ar15armory.com
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    ummmm ME....

its all about pucks and bucks
    batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • akordboyakordboy Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother. After numerous years of asking me to go, I'll finally make it out with him next season. [:D]

We do however go every year rifle hunting with my dad.

Jeff
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hos'e Quervo.My wife said find a new hobby.[:D]

MLMorgan
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to hunt rabbits with my recurve when it snows.I havn't got to do that in a few years though.[:o)]quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    To be honest I dont know what to say my family has always bow hunted myself and one brother hunted rabbits long before we could draw a bow for deer.

Say nothing, Just smile and make them guess how much you know....

MLMorgan
  • bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got bored with rifle hunting and wanted a new challange, so I bought a muzzleloader, flintlock not inline. That was cool but it comes in after rifle season so I still had all the time before gun season and tried out a bow. Now I'm hooked. I like the challange of geting up close and personal.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like most people realize hunting is a dying sport, most kids rather go play video games or spend there time indoors. I am sorta sick and still going hunting tomorrow after school, I just told my mother a day sick in the field is better than a day ill at home. She didn't quite understand. My parents don't hunt, my dad is actually sort of against it a little. My grandfather and two uncles got me into hunting and every type of it. I love and and plan to do it every day I can! My uncles and grandfather all USED to bowhunt but now all use crossbows, I brought them back into it and learned to shoot my uncles old bow when he was my age, now he's picked up the old 70 lb and joining me with it, don't get me wrong I will still use the old pse viper crossbow, but I enjoy using the bow a whole lot more[:D]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Myself. I originally took an interest in HS and borrowed a bow. Really got interested in my early twenties when I kept seeing so many deer while sqirrel hunting. That early love affair continues to grow stronger every year.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    like 2 other people have said in high school my friends were out shooting deer before me so i took up bow hunting

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Me and friends.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Fred Bear! Films that is!!!
  • bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having Larry Wise as a teacher may have had something to do with it also lol
  • excaliburexcalibur Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was about 1 when I started to pull back cloths hangers and got my first bow when I was 3. I figured that if my dad did it everyone shot archery.. I stared shooting competition when I was about eight years old in Easton, Penn. I won my division and all the other divisions up to 17 years old. Target shooter first then bowhunting. started in the late 60s until 1975. I got pushed by my dad and ruined me from the sport. I picked the bow back up in 1994 and been shooting the lights out since..

Excalibur

excalibur
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe it or not my ex wife(when we were still married ) she gave me a reall nice recurve . I hunted a while with it then kinda stopped when my girls wer growing up been back in to hunting a while now but just bought a bow this year
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My cuz got me into bow hunting at age 14 bin doing ever scense.Really hard cord after he past away in 1980 [:(] my dad got me into gun(slug) hunting at 10yrs old. bless heart he also past last year [:(]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I guess my dad and extended family. I starte bow hunting around 8 years old. I started with a recurve and then graduated to a compound. My first compound bow was a Bear.

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mother bought me a Bear Whitetail for x-mas when I was 13/14?...Almost 30 years ago,Still have it, Shoots as good as any Mathews[:D][}:)][:0][:o)][:D][:D]!

Ruric, NE OHIO,