In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anyone have any climber treestand tips

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
I just broke my summit climber out and tried it out today in the back yard. I dont know what is worse hanging by one hand trying to hang a stand or shimeing up a tree with that. I found out a valubel lesson at 4 feet dont lean forward or the whole thing slips good thing i wasnt hunting yet Tommarow night might be D-day for me with that

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Have faith in the thing. As long as your arms are holding on to the rails, you cannot fall. Those summits have more gription(invented word) than most stands. They hold tight! It just takes a little time to get used to.

Ben

24.gif
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Head fear not I have a summit if used properly they do not slip.

1. slide one half of the cable out of top section of stand sling it around the tree and attach it back to the stand the platform should be tilted up a bit the more the tree tapers the more you need to tilt it up.

2. Do the same thing with the foot platform.

3. step over the top section and secure you feet in the straps then sit on the top section and bending your knees pull the foot section as high as you can.

4. Now stand up on the foot section and lift the top section with you then just keep repeting the steps. very easy once you get use to it.
    Instructions for the Summit Climbing System (PDF)
    Instructions Summit Climbing System. Your Climbing System should include one (1) camo pouch (1) 7/16" thirty (30) foot rope. with a loop tied in one end and a knot tied in the other end. One (1) 8mm prussic hitch ... rope to the tree above your head while standing on your treestand ...images.ebsco.com/pob/summit/catalog/2004_instr_climbing_system.pdf - 163k - View as html - More
    Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Takes some gettin' used to. I just went from a stong built (heavyazz) climber to the Summint Viper. Mine is a sit and climb but I don't use it that way. I feel it takes to long to get up to hight. I put the seat as high as I can up under my arms then pull the platform up and push up with arms simotaniously(sp?), stand up and repeat. kinda like doin pushups, good workout. Once you get used to the stirups you can fly.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    If you can fly / Then why do you need a climber[:I][:o)][:D]

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The main thing to keep in mind with any climber is that the pressure needs to be maintained on the end away from the tree. Other than that, as long as the tree is coarse enough for the climber to bite on, you shouldn't have a problem. The main thing is to do exactly what you are doing. Pratice! It won't take you long to figure out your style and the DO's and DON"T. Just try not to have any MAJOR DON"TS! They can hurt and leave a mark![:D]

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Just be careful. When climbers first came out my brother and I decided we'd build our own and save money. After watching him slide down a tree about 30 feet to the ground in his back yard I decided not to test mine out. [:D] He's probably still got those two fine pieces of work laying around somewhere if anyone wants to buy them. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys for the tips

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Instructions Summit Climbing System. Your Climbing System should include one (1) camo pouch (1) 7/16" thirty (30) foot rope. with a loop tied in one end and a knot tied in the other end. One (1) 8mm prussic hitch ... rope to the tree above your head while standing on your

how come i didnt get any of that all i got was a dvd and the rope to tie your safty harness 2 i feel cheated now

• Options
    dahmerdahmer Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're stand doesn't have them buy the Summit Rapid Climb Stirrups. Best thing they ever invented as an add on for a climber. You don't have to bend over when you get to your hunting height like you do to remove straps. They also work on API stands. Don't know what else.

They that are willing to give up their liberty for a little safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin.