In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How close?

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday evening I had a deer come in to an oak tree and start eating acorns about 20 feet from me. I was in a ground blind and had no shot to my left where it was. Last week in the same spot I had one walk about 10 feet behind me. Last year while walking down a trail a buck was running right up the trail towards me and I froze and he stopped within just 10 feet of me, cleared his nose and ran off......How close have you gotten to a LIVE one?????....

Ruric, NE OHIO,

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    any deer that come that close I have already consumed.[:D][:D][:D][:p]

Mathews1.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Had a button buck within ten yrds this weekend. He was so cute I just wanted to jump out of the tree and squeeze him like a teddy bear.......ok not really the thought of crock pot went through my head. But I can't shoot'em that young.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a week ago while heading to my tree I had a nice big bodied 6 about 15 feet from me with no way to draw my bow. Luckily he never did * but turned and walked away. So i'm guessin he never figured out what i was.

00deer4.gif
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm guessing i've been around 7 feet or so from a live deer. in a certain spot one day i could only get around 10, maybe 11 feet off the ground due to the tree. 3 does came under directly under my stand. so figured 10 feet up the tree - 3 foot tall deer = about 7 feet away. i hit one on the head with a big leugie [}:)]

39 and counting...
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    One time I walked in w/ doe pee on my boots, and had a button buck walk up to my tree and sniff my climbing pegs.

Ben

24.gif
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been less than a foot from one of the ones I hit with my car. I would bet he was still alive at that point... Dont think that counts for what you ment.

As far as a live one, I had a spike 7 feet below me last rifle season...
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During gun season about 3 or 4 years ago I was sitting in the corner of a woods that me or my dad left 3 rows of corn up about 5 or so feet long as a blind for me deering gun season. I had been laying down instead of sitting, it was easier to hide cause the corn was kind of crapy right there. When I see a pack of deer 5-10 walking towards me at about 500 yards or so. My binoculars aren't that good, 8-10 x 28 i think so seeing all the deer, I couldn't tell what any of them were. I just stayed still and watched. They walked right to me, there at one point was five does within 5 feet of me eating in the corn. I could hear them munching, it was amazing and they didn't smell me. Well the pack was getting chased by a monster buck, that I had been chasing during bow season, he was huge 8-10 pt. I had my gun at my side and couldn't move, he was within 100 yards and i didn't know what to do. I move, the deer see me and they run off. Well i decided to try to move my gun up closer to a shooting position and it just doesn't work and the does see me and all of the deer run off. It was amazing that I have gotten that close on the ground. I have had many deer come really close to me while in a stand.

I had the same monster buck with in 15 feet of me the next year in a different woods. I went to go to my tree stand at about 3:30 in the afternoon and guess who was standing under it. Stand was right on the edge of the woods to the north around a crap load of scraps and the field was an alfafa feed. So I decided to go around the other way quickly, I drive my truck around to the other side of the woods and down a old railroad line. Its about 500 feet from the woods. I walk up the west side of the woods quickly and as quietly has possible. Unfortunatly I got to close to him and he heard me and saw me and I had to freeze before I could get my bow pulled back. Never had another shot at him and he was shot in muzzleloader season and never recovered. To this day, that buck was the biggest thing I have seen. And in my dads 30 years of hunting, the biggest he had seen. Don't know what it would have scored, but it was just huge.
  • Nwatson99Nwatson99 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    2001 had a small 6 point within 3 to 4 feet, I was in between some large oak tree stumps, he never knew I was there and I was not about to spoke him. There was a nice 10 point I was after got greedy and only took a doe the entire season. [V]

gallery_1_11_351.png
    http://www.ar15armory.com
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot a small 5 pointer at 15 feet in a ground blind about 6 years ago.

0311 semper fi
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    i had a fawn about 8 feet straight down from me last weekend

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a 6 pt last night 12 feet away couldnt shoot [:(]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several years ago, long before the invention of scent control clothing, when I kept my outerwear in scent free bags with sticks and leaves and put my boots on when I got out of the vehicle at my hunting location, I was sitting on a fallen tree between a small creek and a standing corn field, in full camo.

I had rattled a light sequence hoping to entice the resident buck to come see who was playing in his yard. A few minutes go by and I catch movement thinking at first that it was a bobcat. Well, here comes a fawn, out of spots, walking up to and past me checking out the creek for a place to cross. Seeing it was several feet to the water and not a place to cross she turns around and begins nibbling at this and that as she walks towards me. She got to where her nose was 2-3 inches away from my right boot. I could hear her breaths and her chewing and wanted ever so badly to reach out and stroke her back. Meanwhile, her twin had come into about 10 feet and was just watching and waiting for her sibling. She never smelled me, looked at me, or anything, and eventually walked off with her sis to cross the creek a few yards down stream.

I was awestruck. It was a hunting moment that'll I'll never forget. The young ones are so naive and innocent. To this day that ranks as one of my most successful and memorable hunts ever. I laugh thinking she probably would've turned herself inside out getting away had I made the move to touch her. [:)]
  • craig_deer_huntercraig_deer_hunter Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last weekend I was hunting with a muzzle loader and I shot a little six point. About 3 or 4 minutes after the shot I had a doe come up the same trail. She smelled the blood where the deer was standing when I shot she went over and smelled the buck. Then she saw me and started giving me the head bob and foot stomp. After a few minutes she calmed down and started to graze. Now I was just standing in the middle of a clear cut and had nothing around for cover except waist high grass. She fed around me making a complete circle for thirty minutes coming as close as ten feet. I just stood completely still and tried not to move. She even went to the stump I had been sitting on not ten minutes earlier and smelled and licked it. I think she would have beded there had I not finally had to move. I was totally amazed I have never seen a deer do that. The only thing I can think of is that since this is a remote area and she was young that maybe she didnt know what my smell was. I was excited about shooting a deer but I think that the doe will stay with me much longer.

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
    use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see, it's about 5 feet to the front of my truck! Does that count?

If not, I had a small buck walk a complete circle around me in the dark one morning as I walked in with doe in heat on a drag rag. I knew he was close and finally put my light on him to spooke him off. He was about 15-20 feet away. Then there was a small buck that walked about 3 feet from the base of the 12' ladder stand I was in.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi