In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Alaska

bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
Does anyone live oor hunt in Alaska? I got talked into going to Alaska next fall; they hadda twist my arm really really hard lol; and have really no idea what to expect. Will be a early-mid sept hunt. for moose and maybe deer or caribou if it's in season I think but really don't know. All i really know right now is that it's a float trip hunt.

What weather can I expect?

any special gear I need?

What's the difference between a nonresident hunting lisence and an Alien hunting lisence other than 200$ Does it alow me to shoot little green men or just any weird person i see or what? lol

What caliber rifle do you suggest? I have a big .30 cal which I know will handle any game we're after but would a 338 or 375 be preferable for the bear factor? not hunting them but just in case.

Any info you may have will be very much appreciated.

This is an archery forum so a gun hunt is a little out of context but i figured you guys are hunters and outdoorsmen and women and an all around pretty knowledgable bunch. Thanks

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've never hunted it, but had a buddy go the last couple years. He says you need good rain gear, plenty of breathable clothes, good boots that are broke in, and plenty of film for your camera, says it's great up there. I'd like to have the cash to go.
    The first year he went he took a variety of rifles, borrowed two from me. Once he got back he said his .300 was perfect all around for everything they went after. I think he has hunted bear, moose, caribou, and something else maybe.
    Oh yeah, he HAD to get a pair of Steiner's after his first trip up there, take a good set of binocs with you.
    Have a great time, good luck.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cool thank for the info