In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Archery Hunter - what bow?

93glide93glide Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
Hi Guys and Girls

I have been rifle hunting for 14 years but never bow hunted. So I am going to try it next season but I am looking at bows and equipment now and will buy soon so I can begin practicing after the Holidays.
I would appreciate your opinions on bows for now. You can post a reply here or you can send it to tcpistol@hotmail.com. I really like the mathews bows but don't want to kick out $1000 or more in the event I find that bow hunting isn't for me. I am looking at a used SQ2. I am told this will need a 28 inch cam to make it fit me, it has a 29 inch on it now but it has new limbs, new string and cable. An outfitter shop has that priced at $375.00 plus $80 for a new cam plus all the other items to complete the bow. The other bow that interests me is the Mathews Classic. A local sports shop here has them on sale for $400.00. I would like to know the differences in these two from those of you that have used them. I like the limb suppressors on the Classic but the SQ2 seems to have more of a parallel limb design. It's a litle confusing as I think the Store salesmen will tell you what you want to hear just to make a sale. The SQ2 has an 8 inch brace height with 31 inch ATA. The Classic has a 7 inch brace height with 36 ATA. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Try shooting several different bows and see what you like the best. I am partcial to the mathews for a couple reasons one being how well they hold there value. And in your case mathews is probably a good choice if you don't like bow hunting (I don't think that will happen) you can still get your money back out of the bow.
    I believe taco has a classic, maybe he can give you some better input on that particular model.

Good luck, keep us posted!!

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    There are many different choices and the ones that each one of us like may not be the one for you. Good luck and welcome!!!

its all about pucks and bucks
    batman_logo_30_2.jpg

tanz_tubbies3.gif
    Lt. Col. Winky Girl
    clip_image001.jpg
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the nuthouse!!! What bow to shoot comes down to several factors. These are what I use when I look for a new bow.

1. Price. I set a budget and stick to it. Keep in mind all of the extras like sights, stabilizer, rest, and quiver can really add up fast and most bows come without these things. I would ask what one comes with for the price.

2. What feels good to me. I don't care what anyone else shoots. Try to find a shop that will let you shoot before you buy. When I bought my current Hoyt (best bow on the market by the way[:D]) I shot a Bowtech. Mathews, and several others and I liked the way the Hoyt felt for me.

3. Testimonials. The last thing I use is what other people are saying about my final choices. See what others like and dislike.

You'll see several of us trading punches about Hoyt and Mathews. (Hoyts are better[:D]) But the fact of it is that it doesn't matter that Bang shoots a POS Mathews or that I shoot an AWSOME Hoyt. We each have our opinions and have fun with them. Now, don't make me add you to my list of people I don't like because you shoot a Mathews!! [:D] Good luck and let us know if we can HELP any more!

waco.gif
    SGT.jpg

Chevrons were earned, not given! Can you say that? Semper Fi!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:See what others like and dislike.
    Your still out numbered Hoyt boy![:D]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's MR Hoyt Boy to you!![:D]

waco.gif
    SGT.jpg

Chevrons were earned, not given! Can you say that? Semper Fi!
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the best bow out there is the one you have in your hand when that big buck steps out . me personally i shoot a martin . only because they make em small enough for me and at a price i can afford . i would stay away from a p.s.e had a brand new blow up on me.good hunting
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladyhunter
    the best bow out there is the one you have in your hand when that big buck steps out . me personally i shoot a martin . only because they make em small enough for me and at a price i can afford . i would stay away from a p.s.e had a brand new blow up on me.good hunting

what were the circumstances surrounding that? did you get hurt?

40 and counting...
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no wasn't hurt could have been the bow was dry fired at store before i bought it had it about 2 wks when that happened still haven't figured out why now learry of pse's
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladyhunter
    no wasn't hurt could have been the bow was dry fired at store before i bought it had it about 2 wks when that happened still haven't figured out why now learry of pse's

yeah, it really doesn't sound like it was PSE's fault, since some knucklehead dry-fired it before hand. i was at the ATA show is Harrisburg PA last year, and we had a booth in the archery section, and it was a nerve wracking experience. about every 5 minutes you would hear a loud "TWANG" and you knew someone else just dry fired another bow. it happened all weekend long. scary stuff.

40 and counting...
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I will make a few recommendations and probably get blasted for it.

1) Don't go High Tech for your first bow. Stay away from extreme cams,short bows and heavy (65# and up)draw weights. Setup on these bows is critical and they can be hard for a beginer to master. Drawing too much weight even if you are physically able to often leads to poor shooting form. High Tech bows work great for the guys that have solid shooting form but I have seen many a beginner struggle for a long time. "You have to walk before you can run."

2) A package bow is not always the way to go. I've seen guys dish out extra money for these setups and take off or replace most of the accessories before they even get in the field.

3) A $200 bow will kill just as many deer as a $600 one will. I know that is hard to believe but it is the truth. I have never shot a deer that would have been "more dead" or missed one that I would have hit with an expensive bow. I think a lot of guys get sucked in by the bigger better syndrome.

I have shot Bear, Hoyt, PSE, Golden Eagle and Jennings bows and am not sure one was significantly better than the next. Do you know why they need the various suppressors on the newer bows? Cause they are so sensitive that when you load them down with all the hardware it upsets the balance and performance of the bow.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:3) A $200 bow will kill just as many deer as a $600 one will. I know that is hard to believe but it is the truth. I have never shot a deer that would have been "more dead" or missed one that I would have hit with an expensive bow. I think a lot of guys get sucked in by the bigger better syndrome.

IMO, this could not be more true. Just think of it this way: The bottom-of-the-line right now, was pretty much the-top-of-the-line in 1995.

I shoot a cheap PSE that I bought in 99 or 2000. It still works just fine, but probably isn't worth $120 with the accessories.

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Ben.. I got my lefthanded PSE cheap and have killed more deer with it than an other bow that I have.

ebay has M A T H E W S [:D] AND MAN STAY AWAY FROM HOYT [;)]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)