In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Safety Harness

taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
Buckeys question to Gagirl on another thread got me to wondering. My brother fell 22 ft a couple years ago, but a safety harness wouldn't have helped. He was climbing down and slipped, luckily 4 hours later he walked out of the hospital just bruised and scraped up. So, how many of you guys and gals use some kind of safety harness?

00deer4.gif

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I do I have a waste belt and that hunters safety system. I fell once its no fun... My biggest fear is sometimes I will dose off and dont want to tumble out. I dont want to spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair watching Bill Jordan hunt.[;)]

Mathews1.gif
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Yep, I use one. That has to be the only fear I have in the woods...falling.

Now if I was in the same woods as taco I would have a whole different kind of fear.... I would probably have to use a cast iron fryin pan strapped to my butt.[:D]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use a climber that has a wrap around bar in the front so i don't use any kind of harness at all.

39 and counting...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201
    i use a climber that has a wrap around bar in the front so i don't use any kind of harness at all.

39 and counting...

Bar or no bar you can fall. My brother in laws huntin buddy fell well actually woke as he was going over that bar and was able to grab it as he feet went over his head. It can still happen, probably not as likely but can happen.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use one once I am at height regardless of a climber or a fixed stand. It wouldn't be the best choice for comfort if I fall but it is really easy to use, doesn't take up much space in my pack and doesn't get tangled up. The only problem is when I am either climbing up or down from the tree. I'm not attached to anything and that would probably be the greatest chance for falling. I just can't bring myself to use one as I climb.

waco.gif
    SGT.jpg

Chevrons were earned, not given! Can you say that? Semper Fi!
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201

39 and counting...

See my post on falling this week. Mine has a wrap around bar too.

its all about pucks and bucks
    batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Now if I was in the same woods as taco I would have a whole different kind of fear.... I would probably have to use a cast iron fryin pan strapped to my butt.[:D]

Don't make me bring up the incident at Rocks[}:)][:D]

00deer4.gif
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Yep, I use one. That has to be the only fear I have in the woods...falling.

anim_rofl21.gif

Mathews1.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413

Don't make me bring up the incident at Rocks[}:)][:D]

00deer4.gif

Don't make me try to remember what you are talking about.[:D]

• danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use one of the tree lounge stands that have the safety belt as part of the stand. I can use it while climbing. Very safe stand. I guess having it attached to the stand means if the metal breaks i go down the tree with it.....i think it would be more likely to be hit by lightning than that happening.

0311 semper fi
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Falling from a tree stand is a real life or death issue. I had a close family member fall about 25 feet this year. He was able to tough out the injuries for the next 2 weeks of the hunt, and did end up with a 5X5 elk but not wearing a harness can kill you!
    That being said I use my harness going up, down and while at hunting height everytime. Maybe that makes me a chicken, but I plan to be hunting for many years to come.
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wear the safety harness that Summit supplied with my Bushmaster. I have a little "hunter in training" and don't want to miss passing it on to him.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear one all the time in the stand. Kind of hard to wear it up and down though.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I use one every time I hunt, except when I'm on a large platform stand. Last weekend I was on that platform, a rail broke, and I almost took the Nestea Plunge!

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I'm not afraid of falling. It's hitting the ground that scares me!!
    Wear one once I get up. Tried using it while climbing (screw in steps) but found it was safer to hold onto the steps than let go to move/attach the safety strap every few feet.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I always use one once I'm in the stand, never do while climbing though (bad coordination). [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wear a harness in the stand, I fall asleep 2 much 2 not wear one. The tree I choose determins if I use 1 going up and down. I use climbing gaffs and lock on stands rather than a climbing stand, much much much better mobility and options in tree and stand placement. On a good climbing yree I use a choker going up and down. It's nice begin able to go from stand to ground in 10 seconds.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a good friend of mine lost his leg from the knee down due to no harness yes i wear one at all time better safe than sorry if you have a hard time climbing with one hook it on to the rail of your climber glk and good hunting
    edited November -1
    Welcome ladyhunter, Hope you stick around make sure to wear the waders though it gets deep.

• ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lol i am use to that as the only lady in my hunting club i am use to b.s.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS in here no waaaayyyyyyy lol........ WELCOME [:D]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the new Hunter Safety System vest this year. It is comfertable to wear and I hope to try it out real soon. I had a stand slip on me while I was climbing up into a tree once a long time ago. I tried to stop my fall by grabing the tree, bad mistake. I ripped the hide off both hands. I could not hunt for almost 3 weeks because of the bandages. Then I had to pratice shooting my bow for a while to get the hands back in shape. I ended up only hunting about a week down here in Mississippi, and we had almost 2 months of bow season back then.

Hornet