In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mechanical switch

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭
After marginal success with mechanical broadheads, I switched back to my old Rocky Mountain 3 blade. I double lunged a nice 10 pointer and it went about 75 yards. I only pull about 60 pounds, so that might be my problem with mechanical. But the old Rocky Mountain will be on my arrows from now on.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I do not shoot mechanicals, and do not like them.

HOWEVER, I must ask that old question: At what point when you killed the deer did your broadhead fail?

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    see ya need to get a hoyt and u can shoot mechanicals

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I failed to get the penetration I think I should have, and had to track farther than I would have liked. You can shoot mechanicals with any bow, Hoyt doesnt know the difference lol. I had a Hoyt when we used to shoot cedar arrows. Someday they will catch up.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my take on mechanicals is if I got to pray that they open every single time 100% of the time, then I am not using them. Why even worry about it? Why wound a deer when mechanicals open rate is not 100%? Using a bladed broadhead there is always 100% openness of the blade. Then it just becomes shot placement instead of shot placement, plus enough KE to open the mechanical, plus whether or not it opens. Bowhunting needs to follow the principle that target shooters follow about keeping everything simple.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have not used every type of mechanical head but I don't understand how they could NOT open. I've used both and will stick with the Mech.s until they prove to me otherwise. When pulled out of dirt or the animal they will go back to the original position. doesn't mean it didn't open. I could be wrong but I think a mechanical failier is a common misconception because of the above stated. Just my .02

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But bang

what if that one time, that one time it was just a monster. Or for that matter a nice doe that would put some food on the table. Get a good shot, blades don't open and you don't find the deer due to the lack of blood. In my mind there is a responsablity to the animal that you use the best tuned equipment possible and make sure everything is prefect. I wounded a deer once, it made me feel horrible. I don't and won't do it again if I can help it. I know that a bladed broadhead will do its thing 100% of the time. A mechanical may fail just once in a thousand shots, but that is to much failer for me.
  • Options
    FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel as long as you can make a confident shot on an animal, then it doesn't matter what you shoot. Confidence is a BIG thing. If you have it, that will help you make the killing shot and for that matter you could actually use a field tip....so to speak.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    But bang

what if that one time, that one time it was just a monster. Or for that matter a nice doe that would put some food on the table. Get a good shot, blades don't open and you don't find the deer due to the lack of blood. In my mind there is a responsablity to the animal that you use the best tuned equipment possible and make sure everything is prefect. I wounded a deer once, it made me feel horrible. I don't and won't do it again if I can help it. I know that a bladed broadhead will do its thing 100% of the time. A mechanical may fail just once in a thousand shots, but that is to much failer for me.

I just cant see how it is possible to not open. they blades would have to be glued down or rusted together in which case they shouldn't be shot anyway. A rubber band is not enough strenght to keep the blades from folding back and the oring type again I don't see how it is possible. I've heard people say they have failed but it is something I have to see to believe show me the arrow after the failer I want to see it. I know the blades I use if you take the ring off and point it up or down the blades fall freely and again the ring is not strong enough to keep it from opening. Again this is just me, not saying anyone is wrong I just don't see it.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot Vortex two blade broadheads. I have never heard of them not opening but in the slimmest of chances that they could fail to open, these have a 7/8" cutting diameter closed. That would be enough to be lethal but they open up to 2 3/4" (I think that's right) and fly just as good as my field points. Lack of power in a bow could be a reason that the mechanicals didn't work the way you would like. But let me throw this out there. The last doe that I killed with my bow was at 15 yards and I hit a little too far forward. My arrow hit the far side shoulder bone and came out. The shot was lethal but I did have to do a little extra tracking to find her. It's not the arrow or broadheads fault that I shot too far forward.

If you don't like mechanicals, that's fine but I would hate to see you giving them a bad rap when it's possible that it's not the broadheads fault.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I used eastman firstcut hit a buck at 20yds double lung never did find him..looked like the darn thing didnt open to me.Guess my SWITCHBACK was just tooooooo fast for it [:D]....But I do use pucketts bloodtrailers now there is a good bhead...also going to try 100gr muzzys 3blades

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I can't stand mechanicals, got a cut on my finger right now from one in my box of bow odds/ends when I was digging for something last weekend. [:D]
    I have had one not open, it still cut enough to kill the doe, but it definately didn't open. After that I got to looking closer at them and the other two seemed stiff to open so I went back to fixed.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    See i have never had one not open. 2 years ago i rushed a shot and gut shot a deer with my old pse nova. the thing ran 40 yards and died the rocket mechanical cut everything up inside her. I feel if i didnt have them i would never have found her

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    Well I used eastman firstcut hit a buck at 20yds double lung never did find him..looked like the darn thing didnt open to me.Guess my SWITCHBACK was just tooooooo fast for it [:D]....But I do use pucketts bloodtrailers now there is a good bhead...also going to try 100gr muzzys 3blades

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)

a double lung would have killed it open or not.

Did you blow threw or stick in??

• Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went clear though him...I use a SWITCHBACK not a hoyt..He only bled for 40 yards and poof he was gone. You got me what happen to him, 4 of us looked 3.5 hrs no find [B)]