In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

In your opinion

hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
Is this right or wrong? According to how you were brought up, weather it is legal or not is irrelevant(sp), I am asking if you think it is ok? Personally, If he were still able to, I know my Dad would beat me for doing this.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=177998

It does not matter if you agree with me or not I would like to hear your opinions and figured this would make a good discussion.

Cody

KungFu.gif

Comments

• Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I help manage a large tract of land in upstate NY (4,000 acres). If you are caught driving around looking for deer - your hunting permit is immediatly revoked ! No questions asked. We take it very seriously here.

a1peteshooting.jpg
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't have done it. Here in Indiana, getting out of your truck doesn't mean that you can shoot. You have to move off of the road not just out of your truck. To me it's not the same if you don't get a deer by putting your time in the stand and woods. I personally think that it is guys like this that give hunters a bad name.[:(!]

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is a difference between hunting and killing i can go out everydayand kill a deer but while hunting one its takesa little longer to do i didn't pull a trigger at all last yr and may not again this yr just depends on whats walking
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    No, never. wrong.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    carson0384carson0384 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I witnessed something here in Indiana that I found very Disturbing:

While out to get the paper one morning, about 3 years ago. I saw 3 does grazing in a field across the street. I thought about how nice it was to finally have a few deer in the area. Well low and behold, a truck coming down the road stops, gets out of his truck and drops the biggest doe, right in front of me. He then drives out into the field to recover the deer. I got his plate number and called the DNR. They came out and took pics of the road, and the tracks trough the field where he drove. Come to find out it was a local DNR officers brother. And becuase he was braced against the telephone pole and had hunters orange on it was a legal deer. Nothing ever happened. Go figured. All the Game Wardens out my way are on a HUGE power trip.

While yes I feel it is worng to hunt from the truck. But the way this guys talks, he was using the truck to stay warm.

Once while squirrel hunting, I limited out in about 20 min. My uncle was still out in the woods just down from me. I am sitting in the car withthe window open and hear a squirrel bark, I look out and see him on the side of a tree 40 yrds away. I stuck the .22 out the window and claimed my 6th squirrel. Now was I wrong, sure. But what I did, didnt effect those around me.

But by stoping on the side of the road and hunting with a highpowered rifle. Things like that really bug me, but when DNR is going to let certin people break the rules, well i have no desire to follow them. I know what is right and what is wrong in my heart and I go by that. I dont think God will judge me because I shot a squirrel out my window, which i used for food. But to just jump out and kill a deer because it had big rack. thats where i draw the line

quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    I wouldn't have done it. Here in Indiana, getting out of your truck doesn't mean that you can shoot. You have to move off of the road not just out of your truck. To me it's not the same if you don't get a deer by putting your time in the stand and woods. I personally think that it is guys like this that give hunters a bad name.[:(!]

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!

whatnow.jpg

"Guns don't kill people, husbands who come home early do." -Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always find questions like this very interesting. I think whether you believe it is right or wrong is based on the laws in your area. Here in Texas, you can hunt baited land, and you can shoot from a vehicle if you are on private land. It is legal, and therefore widely accepted around here. Personally, I agree with most of you. I would prefer to not hunt baited land and not hunt from vehicles. I say prefer because the guys that I hunt with on the land we hunt, all hunt over feeders. As a result, I end up hunting over feeders myself. I do have to say that when there are as many feeders in the woods as there are in Texas, it is not the advantage people imagine. In fact, I killed the largest buck that has been shot off of our lease in the last three years this year, and I wasn't any where near one of the feeders. I also end up hunting from vehicles when I am hunting with some of my buddies on a much larger piece of private land (~4000 acres). We usually end up riding around in the middle of the day looking for quail, but there is always a rifle in the truck should we venture upon a good deer. Blast me if you like, but I really believe how you feel is based on the laws in your area.