In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

[

Comments

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    There are only a few things that I would say to be careful of...

1. dont cut away too much of the lower portion this can be taken care of when you sand it.

2. When soaking and boiling it make sure that the rack NEVER gets in the water because the fat and meat will discolor the rack.

MAKE SURE THE SKULL YOU TAKE IT FROM THE BOILING PART TO THE BLEACHING PART RIGHT AWAY!!!!!! If you allow it to dry out the bleaching process will make the skull brittle. Make sure you bleach it while it is still soaked with water from the boiling process.

3. dont bleach it by submersion. The easiest way is to cover it with cotton batting ( ask your wife she will tell you where to get it) only wrap up to the bottom of the rack. then put it in a pan and pour peroxide in the pan where it wicks up and keeps the skull wet. If hot/dry in your place you may have to add some more over time. Soak it for 12-24 hours, sometimes more. You can always pull the batting back and peak at it to see.
    Set it out into the sun to dry. Sun will help the bleaching process.

sand drill and mount.....

the biggest thing is useing peroxide NOT BLEACH!!!! Bleach will make it brittle, makeing sure it comes out of the soak and immediately being wrapped. The water will not only help the peroxide get thru the bone but will help it from becoming brittle, and not letting the rack get into the water while soaking/boiling cause it will darken the rack and it will lose its character.

I am glad that you are doing this, I actually prefer this type of mount rather then one with skin/fur on it.

Oh and do it all yourself dont let the lab do any of it.

its all about pucks and bucks
    batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    What is the best way to get the brain matter out?

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.

Get a straw and suck it out[:D]

00deer4.gif
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    www.buckmasters.com full description on how too. many other sites also just punch HOW TOO EUROPEAN MOUNT DEER hope this helps. Bang you canalso send it to me my brother does all that sh$$# does a great job. I wont even charge ya[;)]

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    when you cut thru from the side of the skull thru the lower portion of the eye socket down toward the nose. You will take off all teeth and the sanding is to make sure that it will sit flat against the board. The brain matter will naturally come out once you cut off the lower portion of the skull.
    this may help you understand better.
    figureA.gif

batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh and I still think you should do it yourself.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Then you are not doing a traditional european mount........ but still the brain will come out during the soaking/boiling process but it may just take longer.

you will also have problems securing it to the board since there will not be flat/flat surface.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BANG I WILL POST A PIX OF THE ONE I GOT AT HOME THAT JOE DID AND YOU CAN SEE HOW IT CAME OUT. I'LL POST TOMORROW.[;)]

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    BANG I WILL POST A PIX OF THE ONE I GOT AT HOME THAT JOE DID AND YOU CAN SEE HOW IT CAME OUT. I'LL POST TOMORROW.[;)]

Mathews1.gif

Thanks buckey!

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    Oh and I still think you should do it yourself.jerkit1.gif

batman_logo_30_2.jpg

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    Then you are not doing a traditional european mount........ but still the brain will come out during the soaking/boiling process but it may just take longer.

you will also have problems securing it to the board since there will not be flat/flat surface.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg

Most I have seen have the teeth so I must disagree with you. F' traditional this is how I want it. I posted the same thing on another forum and most of the pics I got from others(that were linked) have the teeth, so b!@w me.

Bang...
    I could care less if you want traditional or non traditional I was just telling what the facts are. EXACTLY HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN ACTUAL EUROPEAN MOUNTS? I mean real ones... not american versions? When you have spent even 1/100th of the time I have in europe then attempt to tell me I am wrong. There is nothing wrong with the way you want it I was just letting you know that if you wanted the tru traditional mount that is NOT the way to do it. And there was no need for you to get hostile about it and I am so very sorry that I was nice enough to answer your question.

Buckey...KMA... it is an easy project and just maybe he would have done something himself and been proud of it. I know for one that I would much rather be proud of what I do then to let someone else do it for me.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's not that hard... AHHHHHH GRA'SHOPPER FEED MAN FISH HE EAT ONLY ONE TIME ... TEACH MAN FISH FEED HIMSELF FOREVER.[;)] mr MIAGEE[:D]

MY BROTHER DOES LOTS OF COOL THINGS AND HE'S GOOD AT IT[^] THATS WHY I OFFERED. ,. JOE HAS MADE ANTLER LAMPS, HANGING LAMPS, EUROPEAN MT'S ANTLER KNIVES NECKLACES SO ON AND SO FORTH. YOU CAN ALSO RUIN THE ONLY ONE YOU HAVE IF NOT DONE RIGHT...[:D] THEN BANG WOULD HAVE TO CALL ME UP ID HAVE TO FLY ALL THE WAY TO GEORGIA AND SPANK YOUR BEHIND[:0] GAGIRL WHAT DID YA ALL SPEND SO MUCH TIME IN EUROPE DOING... WHERE IN EUROPE .... RIBITwww.wildlifeartistry.com/hints-european.htm - 9k -

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    you kids are awful grumpy.[:D]

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IM NOT GRUMPY BEN, I JUST WANT TO LEARN AS MUCH ASI CAN FROM GAGIRL SO I TOO CAN BE AN WORLD TRAVELED EXPERT IN EVERY SUBJECT THAT COMES UP.[:o)]

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know girl, you've been everywhere and know more than most people. We've heard it all before.
    der.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok I have no idea WTH you two are talking about because I have posted very little knowledge about very few topic on this board or any board for that matter. I have on the other side asked questions. Most topics that are questions of how to or attempting to get info on here I never even respond to. You can look back at all my post for the year I have been here and see that I have never said that I know more and have probably only responded to less than 10% of the questions posted on here. Now you two tell me exactly how that has made me out to be this person you are saying I am.

On the other side of things when you ask a question and someone knows the answer dont get pissed at them for answering it. My mother's family is from Germany she is the ONLY one of her family that has become a US citizen and the rest are spread out over Europe. Now I have traveled over most of Europe and spent a large chunk of my summers there growing up. I have seen and experienced traditional European life NOT what the typical American tourist or even the typical military person would experience while being over there.

I dont give a Shi()what you think, but I know the European life and european traditions.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [quote GAGIRL WHAT DID YA ALL SPEND SO MUCH TIME IN EUROPE DOING... WHERE IN EUROPE[/quote]

visiting family and all over europe. I will be picking up some pics from my parents over Thanksgiving of me while in Europe and will be posting them to prove to the unbelievers.

batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PUKE!!!! [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

untitled.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Who said they diddent believe you???? are you paranoid or somthing.[?] I find it very easy to believe you are from german decent.... I think your pretty cool [;)] I'm just glad I'm not married to ya[;)][:D][:D]

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I know I should not reply and should let this die. But my original post asked for tips and tricks for doing this mount not how to do it, I also asked about the type of screws to mount with and where to buy the plaques to mount on. So you girl never answered my questions except the one about the teeth. I'm not sure how you family history came into it but sorry that that happened. So if you really wanted to help or give some answers, then answer the questions that are asked.

• Options
    edited November -1
    couldent resist could ya

anim_rofl21.gif

Mathews1.gif