In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lost one, really sucks!

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
I took some time off around Thanksgiving to get some bow hunting in before all the poor creatures were slaughtered during shotgun season. Well anyway last Saturday I hunted a small farm I haven't hunted for a few years. Saw some decent sign, heavily worn trails so I figured I'd tag me a fat doe from there. Around 10 a big body 10 pointer came walking right near my climber. I'll bet he'd dress out around 170 maybe even a little more, rack was okay, nothing to great. So I chucked one into his lungs, thought I had good shot. He bounded off over the ridge, I waited almost 2 hours (fell asleep [:I]). Then started following blood (large pools), he back tracked a little then went across the highway onto another farm. I found a little blood on the other farm, not much, then it stopped. I made circle after circle looking, went back Sunday and looked for 4 hours and still couldn't find him (even had my lab along hopeing he'd sniff something out). I am really bummed, I just hate that. When he ran off he was in to much brush so I don't know if I didn't get good penetration or what. The blood was very foamy so I'm confident my arrow hit where I aimed.
I hunted Monday with my dad on his place for shotgun season, passed up a bunch of does and two small scrubby bucks because the shots weren't just right. I think I am ruined now. [:(] probably not though [:D]
What's been going on around here?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A doublelung shot rarely goes over 100 yards. Were the blood pools bright red?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bright red and foamy. There were three spots within 300 yards of my stand where he stood for a while and left pools of blood about 2 foot diameter. Soon as I saw the first I expected to see him laying dead nearby. He never laid down though, I can't figure that out at all. He wasn't pressured one bit. I woulda went after him in an hour if I hadn't fell asleep.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats what 1 buck I shot earlier did LOTSA blood then POOF he was gone.[:(]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you find the arrow and if you did what did it look like? I hit a doe with my shotgun this year that the entry was in the lung but the exit was in the gut. I was finding bright red lung shot blood but it was intermitant. The gut kept blocking the hole. I backed out and found her the next morning. She was like yours. She stopped and stood for a while but never bedded down until the spot where she died. My problem was that I didn't consider the angle when I shot. She wasn't totally broadside and slightly quartering toward me. I hate loosing one too but that's a part of our sport.

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Bummer[B)] my guess is ya got one lung they can go quite a ways on one lung . what supprises me is that he did not bed being left alone for two hours. Or someone else is enjoying your backstraps.[:(]I thing nothing bothers a bow hunter more than not finding his/her deer Sorry Susp. Probley wont be the last time . feel good about the effort you put in looking and move ahead.[;)]

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    good effort Susp. Sorry to hear you lost one though.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Sorry Susp. I agree w/ buckey. A deer can go a damn long way on one lung. You did everything you could to find him, it's in God's hands now.

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine blew out both sets of lungs on a deer with a slug the thing travelled 500 yards. sorry to hear about your deer

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so sorry better luck next time
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leaves a horrible feeling in your gut for a while...Mother nature will take care of it in the end...It happens to all hunters sooner or later,It bothers the REAL ones![;)]

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few weeks ago I stuck a nice 10pt in the shoulder, stupid mistake because I didn't stop him and he took a step back as I touched the trigger. Almost tossed my cookies I was so upsetbut the good news is I saw him 4 days after that and he's doing fine.

00deer4.gif
  • Options
    ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks Susp. Iknow what you are going through as most of us do!

untitled.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Slash0311, never found the arrow. The angle he was out shoulda made a clean pass through, guess it coulda hit something then went into the guts. Yours sounds like what this one did.

You alls replies sound like comforting words said during funerals, damn, stop it I already feel bad enough. [:D][;)]
    I figure all the little critters are getting a good meal before a cold front moves in tomorrow. There, now I feel better. [:D]

ps: anyone wanting to send donations to the grieving suspension fund can email me for my addy. [^]