In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Determining if meat from wounded deer is good

bsfbsf Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
My dad just harvested a previously wounded buck. It had been shot in the front leg and through the pedicle. Both the head and leg are swollen and oozing pus. How can you determine if the meat on the rest of the deer is ok for consumption? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    The general rule is: If it has any infection anywhere DON'T eat it!

It's not worth it. Maybe contact your DNR or whoever is in charge of hunting in your state, about getting a replacement permit.

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I think I will attempt to contact the DNR for advice.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will most likely give you a replacement permit. I wouldn't even touch the meat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My father contacted a DNR field officer. She said, based on his description of the deer, most of the meat should be ok. A butcher my father contacted indicated the same thing. My father, basically, tossed the front legs and neck, and saved the rest. Nothing appeared or smelled bad with the saved meat. Generally, MI DNR does not provide replacement tags for deer unless they are infected with CWD. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    OOZING PUSS [xx(] OH gee can ya send me some of that deleicious meat. Yea its ok to eat dont worry about it.. MMMMMMMMMMMM

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Yeah dude, I guess, I'm no butcher; but, I do know that a Staff Infection is in the entire blood stream.

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I would remove the quarter where it was previously wounded, some people just cut out an area around the wound though. The rest will be fine, you won't be able to tell a difference unless you think about it and let your imagination make the meat taste bad.
    I use cows or hogs quit often that break a leg or dislocate a hip/shoulder, whatever. The area where they are hurt always has infection, normally not to much if the wound isn't to old. I just pitch that quarter and the rest is good to go.