In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Topic of Conversation

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a topic to try and get a little conversation going on here.

I have a buddy that I have hunted with for ove 15 years. Recently, our area has had a huge amount of land that was open to the public go private and leases are now about the only way to hunt without knowing a landowner/farmer. In the past 6 or 8 years, I have tried to become more selective on the bucks that I take waiting for solid 2 1/2 year old deer as a minimum. He on the other hand has generally shot the first thing that comes in front of him with antlers. We are now on two different leases and he has told me that on his lease this year 4 button bucks and his 4 pointer were taken so far. My lease on the other hand has had 5 does and one mature buck that was at least 2 1/2 maybe 3 1/2 years old. My problem is that if he is paying his money to hunt, he can shoot anything that he wants. That's fine with me but wouldn't go over on my lease. The things that bugs me is that this is the same guy who complains that he doesn't see any large bucks! I have tried to tell him that the little ones have to grow to get mature bucks running around!

So what does everyone else think? What is your management style where you hunt?

waco.gif
Semper Fi!

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Slash if he can't understand that .. Then he will never get a large buck.I wouldent even worry about it as long as he's not on your lease...[;)] I killed all the babies how come there are no adults???

DUHHHHHHH[:o)]

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    A strange thing happened around my house this year. My neighborhood amish got whats called a nuisinance permit allowing them to shoot all the dies that they can and they did to the tune of 15 does. Well the hunting around my house has been fantastic this year buck wise. the bucks are actually travelling seeking out does instead of holing up in the bedding area banging any does that comes in to heat. So I guess deer managment works. kill the does and let the little bucks grow into maturity

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes it works but you have to be carefull not to kill to many does we are allowed 2 aday here and you can not hardly see one now to many have been killed
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I like to take something 2+years old, I will take a smaller buck if it's rack is messed up or something like that. I always try to take as many doe as permits allow. I'm a strong believer in keeping the doe ratio down. Also if any deer come by me hurt I will take them no matter what size.

As far as your friend goes, I doubt he will grow any mature bucks on that lease, but if he hunts enough he'll take one that wonders through the area from somewhere else (maybe from your lease [:D])

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy that I hunt with out there says the same thing,but when I tell him $120.75 for 2 days of hunting bet your (_!_) A BUCK IS GOING DOWN.
    But then when he not on his ground guess what he shoots [B)]

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A "true friend" should understand. Maybe he's going for the meat and not necessarily for a trophy. Here in MT you are allowed only 1 buck tag (but can be used for either muley or WT, and either sex), 1 WT doe/antlerless, and as many surplus muley doe you can afford. My kids and I always fill our doe tags first ... personally, think they taste better.

It is important to manage the buck-to-doe ratio and is equally important to have a quality buck (2+ years) hunting opportunity ... it is easy to pull the trigger when a hunter gets an opportunity to harvest a young buck but it takes more discipline to let it go.

This year I shot a huge mule doe and as soon as I chambered another round a tall 3X3 (maybe 20" spread) stood broadside to check out the doe about 100 yards away. Safety off, trigger on finger, sight on target, serious buck fever going ... wating for the bigger one. The buck gave me plenty of opportunity to end my hunt on opening day ... but I let him go. If he survived the season, he'll be a dandy next year. I saw quite a few more quality bucks but was not afforded the same opportunity. I did not fill my buck tag this year but we are not hurting on wild game meat.