In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Venison queston....Please help.

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
So I get to my buddies house to butcher the doe I killed on Monday.
As he skins it he notices a yellowish tint on the inside of the hide. We get to cutting the meat and it has an odd smell. Almost like that of fish, not like spoiled meat. The meat itself has is kind of slimy almost and is not consistant in color. Going from a healthy blood red to a brown (the color beef takes when it's been in the freezer). Certian parts look fine such as the back straps and a couple loins. The rear legs look the worst though (she hung head down). All of the meat is real soft and tender instead of being very firm. And although she hung for 2 days (temperature was under 36 degrees), the meat was still pretty bloody. Neither one of us has seen this when butchering a deer and are wandering if this stuff has spoiled? Anyone else have that odd smell from a meat that was still good? I'm going to ask the DNR tommorow and I've stuck everyting in the freezer incase it is actually good except a couple 3-4oz peices for them to look at and smell.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. If you ask a question I won't answer until morning, I'm headed to bed. I've had a long and emotionally tiring week.

"Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it." - Me

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/

EMCFRtn.jpgEMT.jpgCERTnew.jpg
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have never seen that before i would take it in and have it checked also
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could try to find a Butcher/Meat-cutter and get his opinion...I wouldnt chance it if your not too sure about it. Cooling the meat is a very important step after killing. We start to skin and process immediatly after getting it home from check-in...We do not practice "Hanging" here and to me it is alot easier to skin a warm deer than a cold one with rigamortice...Good-luck!....Oh, Keep your hands off the tarsel glands while processing. Otherwise you'll taste em when you eat the meat!....YUK!!!

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When in doubt I toss it, kinda sounds like it might have CWD or at least some kind of disease.

00deer4.gif
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    When in doubt I toss it, kinda sounds like it might have CWD or at least some kind of disease.

I hope not, that would be a new one to Indiana
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to

www.archerytalk.com

and post this in the hunting section. Someone will know there, they are always full of answers.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    If it hung for 2 days in temps under 36 degrees there is no way the meat could be soft or bloody. Aside from that information the meat you described I wouldn't feed to my dogs, pitch it somewhere. Was it gutted right away or did it have a lot of blood laying in the cavity for a long time?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    my brother shot a deer on sunday we just cut it up tonight besides being a little frozen it was fine

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When in doubt, chuck it!
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one like that a few years ago. It had been hit by a car. I had to throw most of it.
    I second the "when in doubt, trow it out."