In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone ever see a Piebald?

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
I found a couple of Pics of Piebald whitetails. These are completely legal to shoot in about every state, and I understand that the big sporting goods stores pay huge $$$ for the full body mounts...so, be real careful dressing them!!!

Ben

397.jpg

395.jpg

312.jpg

87.jpg

Even this guy would be considered a Piebald. Since he has coloring on his head, he is not considered to be an albino.
75.jpg

24.gif

Comments

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Used to be a BIG stag on Sea Island until some old man hit him with his station wagon....

its all about pucks and bucks
    batman_logo_30_2.jpg
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is one that lives at the "Peaks of Otter" if you have ever heard of that. i've got a picture somewhere if i can dig it up i will post it. its the only one i've ever seen in person.

i've always pronounced it wrong too...i thought it was pie-ball. oops.

39 and counting...
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    One of the Bass Pro's I have been in has a full-body mount. Either St. Louis or Nashville. Or maybe Dallas. Can't remember. Beautiful deer though. Full albino's are ILLEGAL to take in TN for some reason. Looks like they would want to get that gene out of the pool!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    iluvguns, full albino's are illegal to harvest in just about every state, I believe.

My grandparents live in Olney, Il. It is the "Home of the White Squirrells". They can fine you big for accidentally hitting one with your car.[:0]

Ben

24.gif
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    iluvguns, full albino's are illegal to harvest in just about every state, I believe.

My grandparents live in Olney, Il. It is the "Home of the White Squirrells". They can fine you big for accidentally hitting one with your car.[:0]

Ben

24.gif

So true Ben, I new a guy that caught one of those squirrels in a live trap and got in big trouble for it. Now bout the deer, I did see one last year in So. Il that was a chocolate color.

00deer4.gif
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't think you can shoot them there in Iowa...never have seen 1 here.

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The white buck in Bens last picture has a black nose and black hooves. Like Ben said, it is not an albino. Albino's have a pink colored nose and hooves. There are also some solid black (melanistic) deer running around too and they have an onyx colored rack. I'd love to harvest either one, but after over 20 years of hunting, I have never seen a black, white or albino deer in the woods. I'll keep trying. Cool pictures Ben.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen one albino, it was a little one in the spring riding around in a tractor. Never seen it again and never heard of anyone shooting it.
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a mature piebald doe that lives less than 5 miles from my house. Last year she had twins and was seen regularly. Her twins had normal coloring of course. I haven't seen her for a while but, hope to with the crops coming off now. She is probably 70% white/ 30% brown and is beautifully marked.
    I suppose there is a chance she didn't survive the late season but, I didn't hear of any stories of a piebald harvested.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where the hell are these deer, I have never seen one?
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    there is an army base near syracuse ny that has a population of them in the couple of hundereds. they live in an enclosed fence to keep hunters and regular deer out

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoff, it is a natural occurance that can occur within any whitetail population. Like I said, keep your eye out. If you see one in a lifetime you are probably pretty lucky.

Ben

24.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And in Ohio it is not illegal to shoot an albino deer or anything for that matter.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ive seen a only a couple.I heard it is a genetic weakness in the heard. Not sure about that but I going to lok it up

Mathews1.gif
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I know/knew of one that was pretty nice on a farm my buddy hunts down where I grew up. He has pictures and I think some video of it, but he hasn't been able to get it. I think it's been a year maybe two since he's seen it. I saw it once when we were hunting the farm for rabbits, it was a pretty good size buck. looked a lot like your last picture Ben, but more brown on it's neck and chest.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 16 year old son mounts a few heads for a little spending money.I always tell everyone that he does beautiful work,but he's still a 16 year old kid so if you have something special,take it to a pro.About a month ago a guy that he has mounted deer for last season called and wanted him to do an 8 point.After he brought the head and my son started working on it we found out it was a pie-bald.An 8 point pie-bald is a very,very rare deer in this part of the country.The head is mounted,looks great and is drying in the shop now.I plan to take some pictures and I will post them when the mount is finished.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 25 years ago while bowhunting in a Baker climbing stand, I had a piebald spike horn walk direcly under my stand. I was so stunned at the sight of this white deer that I never even drew back my bow. After he went by and out of sight did I finally kick myself in the shorts for not shooting him.

a1peteshooting.jpg
    Abort Cuomo