In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Muzzleloader OOPS from a buddy

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Chalk this one up to a major OOPS! I went out to our deer cabin over the weekend and my buddy and I were the only ones there. Everyone else had gotten off in time to hunt. He was going to shoot his muzzleloader a few times to make sure the scope was still on. He shoots a Savage with smokeless powder. Something like 42 grains. Because of the super high pressure, most people that shoot these recommend going beyond "normal" sabots to help with accuracy. He shoots a regular sabot and bullet but puts a .410 shotgun wad with the fins cut off between the powder and bullet. he loaded one up. As he was pusing the bullet home, I thought that I noticed a lot of his ramrod sticking out but since I wasn't too familiar with his gun, I didn't mention it to him. He fired it off and boy did it kick! With my headphones, I didn't notice the volume being too loud. It wasn't until we checked the target and found two holes did we figure out that he had left it loaded from last year and had just fired a double load! [:(!] I knew this guy isn't much for weapons maintance but damn! That could have gotten ugly fast! Some how, the gun didn't blow up and other than my buddies shoulder being super sore, all seems okay! Just thought I would pass this one to remind everyone to keep an eye on what they are doing and those around us!

waco.gif
Semper Fi!

Comments

• Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and old saying applies here an unloaded gun will kill ya quicker than a loaded one will glad nothing was hurt except his shoulder
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    umm, its a savage right? How the hell did he not know it was loaded they all open up.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His is a bolt action and appearantly hadn't been cleaned since last year. This guy doesn't do any maintance at all. I saw him pull the breech plug on a kinght a few years ago that literally had rust falling out of the gun. I can't beleive that someone would pay that much for a gun and then not take care of it. Same guy had a Mossburg pump that the action was sticking horribly on this same weekend. All he did was to spray some lube on it and work the action hoping it would cure his problem. I would have taken it apart and cleaned it for him but I don't know anything about Mossburgs. He's a great deerhunter but an idiot otherwise! Oh, and for the record, I and several others have tried and tried to get him to clean and maintain his guns and he just won't!

waco.gif
    Semper Fi!
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remind me not to ever borrow one of his firearms
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used T-C 54 cal Renegade and when I got it home and dropped the ramrod down the barrel it went clunk instead of tink.Yep,it was loaded and had been on the rack it the gun shop for several months in that condition.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lucky guy ... someone is looking after him ... but for how long?
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad did a similar oops with his rem 700ml, he forgot that he had already loaded it and then ran another charge and bullet down the barrel, then numnuts decided the only way to unload it was to shoot it, sometimes i wonder what the hell some people are thinking, personally i would have never shot it. but knowing you have 2 bullets in the barrel and still firing is a pretty dumb move... not harm to him or the gun thank god.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    That's scary. A buddy of mine a few years back told me he "accidently" loaded his hawkens three times. How the $%#% can you do that? Anyway, he tied the gun to a tree, hooked a string to the trigger, then stood back and fired it, gun ended up being fine after it went off or he said. And he wonders why we never hunt together. [B)] Here's your sign! [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    jasonjenningsjasonjennings Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't think its very funny and I definitely wouldn't be shooting or hunting around a person so irresponsible.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:don't think its very funny

So be mad over something that is done and finished or help the person to learn and prosper throughout their life with firearms[?]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent