In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

deer tags

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
From all the pictures i have seen on here is my state the only state that still has those old tags that u need to tie onto the deer. I see in pictures everyone has nice little stickers that they just rap around the horn and they stay on unlike mine where i have to cut out notches then a whole then find some string and tie it onto the horn or ear. just a little thought

Comments

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have to make our own "Land-owner" tags. We use card-board with string. By the time we get the deer out of the woods there is usually nothing left but a string in the ear. We've had to re-make quite a few.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    The sticker type are nice. I noticed this year though since they went to the call in system where you call in and get your confirmation number then write it on your tag, well the ink comes off. All 5 of the deer tags that I wrote on are now just blank tags. I mean I know that "they" have it on file but what a hassle it could create gettin stopped with a head and tag but no numbers on it.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wish we had tag system here we shoot what we want as long as it don't have spots to many button heads getting killed down here
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    We have to make our own "Land-owner" tags. We use card-board with string. By the time we get the deer out of the woods there is usually nothing left but a string in the ear. We've had to re-make quite a few.

Unless of course your not the land owner and then you have to tie on your tag that you purchased, which is a joke. We never tag it untill the deer is in the truck, I know thats not legal, but its a lot better then losing your tag.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Ohio will probably start using a different tag system after they increase the tag price by 5 or 10 bucks.....[:(!]
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    so u guys have to tag your deer as soon as u shoot acording to the law? We can shoot ours and get it to a vehical but before we put it in the vehicle it must be tagged
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    so u guys have to tag your deer as soon as u shoot acording to the law? We can shoot ours and get it to a vehical but before we put it in the vehicle it must be tagged

a friend of mine killed a turkey in the national forrest. he didn't have any string to tie the tag onto the turkey with, so he detached the tag like he was supposed to and carried it along with the turkey up to his truck. lo and behold, there's a warden there. he wrote my friend a ticket because the tag was not "secured" on the bird. they cut no slack around here. the animal must be tagged FIRST. before you gut it or anything. i remember losing a tag one time because it fell off while dragging the deer to the truck. i had to re-tag it and man i was pissed. i'm glad Va went to the call system this year, but even that method is flawed.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Same here, your supposed to tag immediately upon harvest or recovery or whatever the wording is. Before gutting and moving.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just drag em in the house and eat em. "tags... we don't need no stinkin tags".