In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Animals harvested with a bow

Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
Just curious to see what kind of animals everyone has harvested with their bow.BT

Comments

• Options
    bowcopbowcop Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer, elk and black bear
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bowcop, Where did you hunt for your bear? I was looking into a bear bow hunt and any tips would help. ThanksBT
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DEER, TURKEY, HOGS, SQUIRRELS, RABBITS, BOBCATS, COYOTES. WHATEVER WALKS WITH IN 50 YDS.songdog
  • Options
    bowcopbowcop Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bowhunted bear in Montana, Idaho and my homestate of Washington. I have been been fortunate to have gotten bruins in all three states, elk too! Including Colorado, elk that is no bears though.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to Gun Broker Big Timber....stay long and visit often...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt, It's about time you showed up. Thanks for the welcome old wise one.BT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shot a pack rat and an armadillo today. Does that count?songdog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your d4mn right it counts! Congrats to ya! The smallest species I have ever taken with a bow is a rabbit. I've been tempted to shoot squirrels but I wouldn't dare jeopardize my deer hunt. Trophies are great, but small game can be just as exciting. I am a little upset about the coyote I missed this year. I shot my buck and 5 min later a coyote came thru at 40 yds and I missed. I practice 40 yd shots more then any distance. The reasoning behind this is so any shots less then 40 yds are a cakewalk. Just following the footsteps of Chuck Adams...... The greatest bow hunter of all time.....BT....Happiness is a nocked arrow....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any turkey bow hunters out there? I havent been fortunate enough to shoot a turk from my stands. Seen tons of turks but there always just outside of range.BT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BT- Set in ther stand after season with about 15 arrows with blunt ends or field points. You will be able to shot squirrels all day long. Just shoot while they are not on a log or it will screw tour arrows up though. Also on the turks. If you are allowed to bait, do so. Dump 200 lbs of corn all around your stand, within 30 yds. They will be there right after they fly out of the roost. Better yet, if you haver a feeder use it. If you do not you can make one on your own for around $50. THey work like a charm. Another thing about turks, I would not use an expandable broadhead. The 2 turks I have shot at with an expandeble broadhead did not woek. One one blade expanded causing the arrow to skip right over the turks back. Those wee just my $.02 about broadheads though.songdog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BT- please excuse my writing, I am writing like i am in 1st grade. i dont capitalize either. noy, if my english teachers could see me now.songdog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Songdog, Thanks for the info it was much appreciated. Sometimes I think the smaller game are more exciting then larger animals. Just my thoughts though. Good Luck to ya all.BT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those little tree climbing rat bastards make for goods target practice. I practice on them with all of my hi-powers too. Got to have something to shoot at, and since squirrels are open 8 months out of the year they get to be my targets. Plus, I hate it when they start to chatter at me when i make the slightest movement. They warn everything in the woods.songdog[This message has been edited by songdog (edited 12-21-2001).]
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i figured i would dredge up this old thread, it looked interesting.

my resume isn't that impressive yet, but here goes:

deer
    turkey
    fox
    groundhog
    squirrel
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    better than mine i have gotten nada, but the hunt is not over yet. only been bow hunting for 3 yrs one day the right one will step out there for me
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think i ever saw this thread

I have just shot deer with a bow so far. One day when i can travel... well, everything better watch out. [:)]
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mainly whitetails,a few squirrels, a woodchuck, and a skunk once. Never again will I shoot a skunk couldn't even get close enough to it to get my arrow back.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deer,fox,coyote,rabbits,turkey,(house cats)but shhhhh!
  • Options
    ugar-6ugar-6 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any additional info on turkey or bear hunting with bows would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to get turkeys with both my recurve and compound this year. Also, I'm looking to get a black bear with my compound.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Deer, Opossum. I think thats it. Now I have shot at other things but........
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Just whitetail.[:I]
  • Options
    FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ugar-6.....I have taken two turkeys with a bow this year. I would say the key is to get a ground blind. I have taken one with at 10 yards in the blind and one in a tree stand, but the stand was difficult, cause they can see your every move. Also, you have to have a GOOD Broadhead. I am very confident with the Steeleforce "Turkey" broad head. Here is an example of the Broadhead I'm using. http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PNT1931103
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Whitetail, turkey, squirrel, kitty cat, racoon, carp, & groundhog. I shoot a type of bird once by the river but it flew away so I won't count it.

I see someone posted fox, how in the world did you manage that? I have trouble getting a rifle site on them critters, but sure would like to shoot one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    Whitetail, turkey, squirrel, kitty cat, racoon, carp, & groundhog. I shoot a type of bird once by the river but it flew away so I won't count it.

I see someone posted fox, how in the world did you manage that? I have trouble getting a rifle site on them critters, but sure would like to shoot one.

i was deer hunting when he slipped past me pretty quickly. i tried to get a shot but couldn't. about 1/2 hour later i was standing up getting ready to shoot a doe when he walked by me again. this time i was already in position and he never saw it coming.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never got a shot at a fox either. Would love to have a mount of one though.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I shoot a type of bird once by the river but it flew away so I won't count it.

It's hard to down a bald eagle without a good head shot, but at least their head stands out well.

Ben
  • Options
    bub8889bub8889 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    deer, elk caribou,muledeer, turkey, squirrel, rabbits fox groundhogs, cats grouse, pheasent, ducks, geese. and a few other things i probaly shouldn't mention lol

for turkeys I like the N A P gobblergetters, you can find them at keystone country store also. I shop there all the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bub8889
    deer, elk caribou,muledeer, turkey, squirrel, rabbits fox groundhogs, cats grouse, pheasent, ducks, geese. and a few other things i probaly shouldn't mention lol

for turkeys I like the N A P gobblergetters, you can find them at keystone country store also. I shop there all the time.

that's quite an impressive list ya got there.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whitetail, squirrels, racoon, grouse, came close to popping a buzzard last year but remembered it's not legal figured I wouldn't ever run into anybody else who shot one with a bow.
    Seen my brother in law shoot a field mouse once at 20 yards and it walking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

It's hard to down a bald eagle without a good head shot, but at least their head stands out well.

Ben

Those weren't in season at the time. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201

i was deer hunting when he slipped past me pretty quickly. i tried to get a shot but couldn't. about 1/2 hour later i was standing up getting ready to shoot a doe when he walked by me again. this time i was already in position and he never saw it coming.

That would be pretty cool. I really enjoy calling for fox, would love to take one with my bow sometime.
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Bagged Deer,Sruirrels,Rabbits,and one Fox.