In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FLY fishing

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
I understand this it's not a fishing forum . however I'm thinking about getting back into fly fishing . I did a lot years ago and drifted away from it . It's very relaxing. you put on chest waders wade down the streams similar to hunting your alone its peaceful- only hunting fish instead of deer. if I thought I could get away with it I would try to shoot the fish with the bow . I dont think dnr would appriciate that. does anyone else flyfish.

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    You can bow fish in Il. but not sure if species matters. I really enjoyed bass and crappie fishin when I had my boat. Loved bein' on the water, like you said peaceful. Always quiet, just floatin' along waitin on that bite.

"Oooh I'm gonna miss her
    When I get home,
    But right now I'm on this lakeshore and I'm
    Sittin in the sun,"

I don't remember the rest of the song, but I love that one.
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, i flyfish when i can. the thing that really got me into it was learning to tie my own flies. i like that more than the fishing. there is just something really cool about hooking a big ol bass on something you made yourself.
  • Options
    thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I flyfished and tied my own flies when I was younger. My best friend growing up was big into it and he got me started. Actually thats how he makes his living these days, fly fishing guide. I still fly fish every now and then but I'm not as hard core as I used to be. Haven't tied a fly in probably seven years. Luckily, I kept all my tieing supplies so I'll have something to do when I retire. By the way, bowfishing for carp is pretty common here in GA.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I tink I'm going to really start getting back into it.Seems to be on my mind alot.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    lol, I know what you mean. It's a long time until next hunting season, isn't it?[:D]

Ben
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i dont fly fish, but I do fish for bass and other fish . It's very fun and relaxing. the hours just fly when you're fishing(and hunting)[:D]
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I was never much good flyfishing. I'd much rather kick back on a river bank all night long with a cooler and a fire waiting on Mr. catfish instead. [;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    I was never much good flyfishing. I'd much rather kick back on a river bank all night long with a cooler and a fire waiting on Mr. catfish instead. [;)]

Sounds like a good time right thur!
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem with fly fishin is it takes thousands of them to make a meal[:D][:D] Honestly tho, I know a guy that makes his own fly rods and ties his own flies. Real craftmanship in that kind of stuff.