In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bait Pile

DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
Well I have picked out the thinks for my bait pile this year. For christmas i got a stealth cam(finally!). Sunday I went to Fleet Farm and got Deer Cane liquid and block. I think i'm still gonna pick up some corn, but i don't like using corn because the chipmunks eat it all.[}:)][}:)]so maybe i'll use my .22 to shoot some of um.[:D]I still gotta get a new stand and i should be ready for bow season!![:D]

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    If it's possible your should try planting a food plot. I personally think it works better than just dumping corn or whatever every now and then. A small plot doesn't take much at all to get going.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    we have a field close to the bait pile. My dad rents it out though[:(]so i have no place for a food plot Last year in was corn, the year before it was soybeans. This bait pile is just meant to pause them for a shot.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    START NOW!!!Prep your area as soon as you can, clear your shooting lanes etc...Have it all set up and going way before season starts...For a few bucks you can build one of the PVC pipe feeders I had posted. I think using one of those is MUCH better than dumping corn on the ground. We also gather wild apples up in the fall and make a BIG pile next to the feeder. And we make a large "Mock-scrape" about 10 feet away from the feeder and use doe-urine. Put your stand up way before season starts so they get used to it also and try to set it up where you are generally down-wind. We spent good-money on food plot seed once and it did not do well for us, but we didnt test the soil for PH levels etc...Some of it came-up and got eaten fast but I think the bunnies got to it first! If your gonna plant, follow the directions!!![;)] Just tryin to help ya some...GOOD-LUCK![8D]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    There are seeds for food plots that do well in the woods. You just need to prepare the soil, remove leaves, sticks. Remember too when doin a plot don't bury the seed or if you do no more than 1/4 inch in the ground. Our spring plot did great last year but the fall didn't. We are doin a much larger plot this year and I am doin all the research first buyin the PH meter fertilizers ect. Planting different types of seed as well to see which produces, which is gettin hit the most ect.

I would do a PVC feeder but they are illegal here because of CWD. Did the liquid cane once, before I knew it was illegal also and man did they dig a hole gettin at that stuff. Dug it up all summer long but when season came they never went anywhere near it.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    no can do in RI Illeagle.[;)] well cant get caught.[:0]
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dabowman, if I recall you live in Wisconsin, Before you get too carried away I would check with WDNR, they are talking about a state wide ban on baiting. My county in WI has a ban and it costs $285 if you get caught. (please don't ask how I know this)
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Iowa DNR is thinking about banning food plots. Because of CWD thanks WIS.[B)] lol
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PSFD DONKEY
    My county in WI has a ban and it costs $285 if you get caught. (please don't ask how I know this)

[:0] [:0] [;)]
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, but i think its legal to bait in outagamie[:D]
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can't bait here but do real well with food plots we do about 6 arces and it runs around $350 seed and fertizer so not to bad you can use plain rye grass and oats triple 13 fert and do you a patch for about $50 to $75
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    The Iowa DNR is thinking about banning food plots. Because of CWD thanks WIS.[B)] lol

Thats interesting. I wonder why food plots. We in Illinois can have food plots but can't feed any other way because of CWD. Is Iowa a CWD positive state?
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They said that deer all eat out the same place more of chance of them getting it....Not that I know of they did a study along the Miss. river (7) countys nutten has showed up yet. XX fingers
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    A way around this issue in my state to say we are feeding turkeys not deer. we can feed them but not deer
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    A way around this issue in my state to say we are feeding turkeys not deer. we can feed them but not deer

That's weird, around here we can feed deer, but not turkey. Funny how them turkey use the same routes in and out of corn fields though. [:D] Sometimes they even go into my deer food plots, I even have signs up "Deer Only". [;)]
    edited November -1