In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Peep tube???

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was shooting yesterday and noticed my tube is already dry-rotted and close to snapping...Seems they always rot real quick for me. Is there somethin I can put on it to slow it down???? Armor-all??? Vaseline??? Anyone tried anything????...I was thinking about getting one of those peeps that have no-tube and try that...Opinions???

Comments

• Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the "Hind Sight" and did away with my peep all together. It takes some getting used to but I doubt that I will go back to a peep for hunting. There really is that big of a difference!!! Can't recommend one enough! As for keeping the tube from dry rotting, I don't know of anything other that what you mentioned. I would just replace it as needed since it's not that expensive.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get it replaced, you can get hurt! It could take an eye out!

To be honest here, your hoyt strings such and you won't be able to put a no tube peep on your bow with your hoyt strings. Hence the reason why whenever you got your bow, the person set it up with a tube on the peep.
    So if you want to get rid of it, go over to archerytalk find, there is a guy selling good strings and cables in the classifieds for 45 bucks. Buy some, take them into the pro shop and have them changed out and get a new peep. Retune and you will be ready to go.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey dirtyrat, you could put an ultra-nok on there and do away with the tube completely. if you want one, let me know, i have a few extra laying around.
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can put a no tube peep on your hoyt with factory strings and it will work fine!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danski26
    You can put a no tube peep on your hoyt with factory strings and it will work fine!

You don't shoot very much then....
    edited November -1
    I have a range in my basement 13 yards and in my backyard 50+. Shoot almost everyday. My hoyt razortech wears a fletcher tru-peep just as all my other bows do and have for the past 15 years or so since i switched to them. Had my razortech for about 4 years now. It's ready for a new string but it still has the factory string on it. I will make a new one for it this summer.

Now Shoff14 what is your problem with using a tru-peep with a hoyt? Why did you feel you needed to insult me by saying I don't shoot much?
    edited November -1

Now Shoff14 what is your problem with using a tru-peep with a hoyt? Why did you feel you needed to insult me by saying I don't shoot much?

well my bows would never hold the peep straight. What type of nock are you using?
    edited November -1
    By straight I am assuming you mean aligned. You are correct that this can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

First off if you don't have access to a bow press it can be almost impossible to do. With a normaly made string "most factory strings" after the string has been shot in you align the peep at full draw with a lot of trial and error. I like to keep the same number of strands on each side of the peep but have had some situations where it worked better with out this. The peep will rotate as you draw. What you are looking for is that it rotates into alignment at full draw.

Now with that done, I tie on my loop for my release so it is at the same angle that the peep is rotated at rest. This way it does not interfere with the natural rotation of the string as you draw. Then I tie in the peep normaly. Changes in tempature and string strech may change your alignment. You will have to start over.

THE EASY WAY; I have been using a technique of twisting the string as I am making it that almost eliminates all rotation as you draw. It was taught to me by Grant Whiffen. It is basicly part of the process for making a Flemish string. I use this on all my hand made strings, which I make for all my bows. Zebra strings are very similarly made. I have not tried them though but I belive they would work well. When I use my strings I just align the peep after shooting the string in, tie it in and I'm done. Also I have not had much of a problem with tempature differences with them.
  • EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man you guys are great. I bought a pack of tubes that had 3 for like 1$ a few years back. I completely forgot about them. I went searching in the back basement and found them, my mini-mag-lite, a Schrade Old Timer and a pack of unopened Magnus blades.THANKS GUYS !
    edited November -1

THE EASY WAY; I have been using a technique of twisting the string as I am making it that almost eliminates all rotation as you draw. It was taught to me by Grant Whiffen. It is basicly part of the process for making a Flemish string. I use this on all my hand made strings, which I make for all my bows. Zebra strings are very similarly made. I have not tried them though but I belive they would work well. When I use my strings I just align the peep after shooting the string in, tie it in and I'm done. Also I have not had much of a problem with tempature differences with them.

Exactly! You shouldn't have any string twisting, that is my point, with Hoyt strings, you can not and I say can not eliminate string twisting. My Protec has custom strings on it, I set my peep the height that I need it, twisted the string to get it the correct direction, shoot it a few times to set the string in and after easily 2000 shots, I have zero, absolutely zero string rotation. I have the factor hoyt strings on my Ultramag, they suck. They are fraying, twisting, stretching. When I was shooting it, I was adjusting it once a week or so. I figured, heck, their strings can't be to bad. ROFL. I will have strings coming for this up coming 3D season.

You say you put all your own strings on your bows. That is great, but Hoyt strings are the biggest peices of crap a bow manufacturer can put on a bow. He can acheive better preformance, no peep rotation, better quality, and forget about the peep tubing out of some different strings. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it!

For the record, I have no problem with the fletcher peep sights.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies...I was planning on changing the strings this summer.I want to eliminate the tubes cause they just dont seem to last very long and I think that they make too much noise also...I have to go to the local shop soon and I will check-out some of the items you guys have listed...Thanks again..
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i heard that someone makes a silicon one that lasts a ton longer than normal ones.