In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Elk hunting with a bow

HappygirltamiHappygirltami Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
I am a very accomplished whitetail hunter with a bow. I have killed 17 bucks with a bow and am only 31. I am planning to go elk hunting and I need some help with my setup. Currently I shoot a carbon express cx 400 arrow with a 100 grain mechanical broadhead. This set up demolishes whitetails. I am afraid that I will not have enough kenetic energy for a mature bull elk. I am currently shooting about a 450 grain arrow/broadhead. This gives me about 6.4 grains per pound. What set up should I be using on elk. Any info will help out.
Should I use ALUM.? Should I used fixed blades?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/happygirltami/my_photos

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have not hunted elk, however I have read some people prefer fixed blades for elk over Mech. I know I'm ont much help but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Welcome to the forum, stick around post often.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    welcome to the forum.[:)] congrads on all your whitetail bucks.[^]I personally would contact a elk hunt outfitter and ask what is the best required set up for this big game animal. I personally think your current set up would do the trick just fine[?]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think we have any elk hunters around here.

may want to check

www.archerytalk.com and post in the hunting section, there are lots of elk hunters that hang around there.
    edited November -1
    I think Susp. Elk hunts! ?
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    would love to try it but the only elks around here belongs to the elks lodge (a group of old men who just gets together to drink and fuss, maybe why my hubby is a member lol)
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    If you go with an outfitter some will not permit you to use mechanical heads
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    two of my good friends took elk with bows this year. they both shoot rocky mountain titanium fixed blade heads. they both got pass-throughs too.

did i mention they shot them with mathews?
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a buddy that hunts elk with a bow. He uses mechs on whitetails and I think he uses Muzzy's (100 or 125 grn I think) for elk. Like you mentioned, most mechanicals use so much energy that they can't make a pass-thru on an elk. Welcome to the group but now the big question is what type of bow do you shoot? If it's a Hoyt (or anything other than a Mathews) then you're okay. If you shoot a mathews, then you just got added to my list and don't worry about the guys in black suits and sunglasses driving by or the helicopter over head![:D] Welcome again!
  • HappygirltamiHappygirltami Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Currently I shoot a Hoyt. However after shooting the Trykon and the XT I may be switching to the dark side. The Trykon is a shooter but it is very heavy and creeps at full draw.
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Happygirltami
    Currently I shoot a Hoyt. However after shooting the Trykon and the XT I may be switching to the dark side. The Trykon is a shooter but it is very heavy and creeps at full draw.

well, at least there is some hope for you yet.

i browsed through a few of your photos, you have some very nice kills. congrats.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my best Yoda voice "from the dark side, save you we must! I can see the Force is strong with this one!" Don't mind the "mathletes" anyway. They don't know what it's like to shoot a good bow. They just follow the rest of the lemmings jumping off the cliff![:D]

Oh, if you can't tell, we have a lot of fun hacking on Hoyts (best out there) or Mathews. But it's all in fun so don't let us hacking on each other scare you off. Plus, we'll try not to let Buckey do that for us either![:D]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'd use a 2 blade broadhead.

Ben
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definattely a fixed blade, alot of places will NOT let you use mechanicals for Elk. I use spitfires for whitetail but shoot Montecs at Elk.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have not bow hunted Elk, but this is what I have been told by some of the locals in Gunnison Colorado where we hunt. take all this with a grain of salt cause we always drink when we discuss bow hunting for some reason. [:D]
    You need a light bow, makes since cause those Elk cross a valley in 10 seconds that a whitetail would stop and hold up in.
    A really good fixed two blade broadhead, gives really good penatration. [:0]
    A heavy weight arrow, to help with you know what again. [:D]
    A bow setup with a heavy draw weight, as much as you can manage and stay consistant. 65#'s or more
    Take a bunch of arrows & broadheads, the way they talked if you miss you rarely find the arrow because your either off after the herd for another chance or they go to far over mountains you prefer not to get them then climb back up. sounded exspensive to me.
    Light weight good durable boots, lotsa walking!
    You know how whitetail seen to be on ridges or in valleys? Most of the Elk I've seen seem to be 1/3 way down from the top of a ridge. Might be a dumb idea, but that's where I concentrate the most anymore. [;)]

That's about all I got to say about that because Survivor is starting! I'll try to remember more later. [;)]
    edited November -1
    He said penatration. [:D]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    [:D][:D]In the best Bevis and but voice. "He said penatration. hu huhuhu uh huhuhu. whats that mean[?] uhhhhhhhhh
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

[:I][:I] sorry [:D]
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Bang copped a woody after penetration was mentioned[:D]