In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Couple questions....

DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
First, I'm going to get a new rest soon and I think I want to try a drop-away. I'm currently using a NAP 360 and its wearing out again and I dont like the teflon strips that go onto it. They keep falling off and get ripped....Can anyone recommend a real good one??? and now part 2....My arrows are fletched straight for this rest so I will have to change them all. I have never fletched an arrow other than repairs...I'm tired of paying $2.00 each to have them done so I want to buy a jig and do them myself. I shoot right handed so do I need a "Right Helical" clamp???... that means my arrow will rotate to the right??? Is this what I need???...Help me out!!....PLEASE!

Also, Whats a good easy to use jig for a beginner???

Comments

• Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help you with a drop-away because I really love my whisker biscuit. As for a fletching jig, I have a Bitzenburger and love it. It's a little slower and MUCH more expensive than other brands like a Arizona or Jo Jan (I think that's the name) but it has mulitple adjustments for different diameter shafts. It's a high quality jig made very well and you'll see the difference in the way it's made over the others. As for the helical fletching, any twist will help stabilize your arrow faster and should thus make it fly straighter. I believe that most people shoot a right hand twist but I really don't know if that has to do with shooting right hand or not.
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you want a good rest, try the QAD Ultra-rest. it fully contains your arrow, similar to the whisker biscuit. that means you can tilt you bow at any angle and not worry about losing your arrow. also, you can decock it to remove your arrow. also, if you have to do a slow let down, it will stay cocked, unlike some drop-aways. i've been shooting one for 2 seasons now and i love it.
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The twist on your fletching has nothing to do with shooting right or left handed. Just like slash said the twist causes more drag at the rear of the arrow. If you have been shooting straight fletch with good results, why switch? I shoot straight fletch on all my arrows and have for many years with good results. As for a fletching jig, I use a "pro-fletcher" made by Whiffen Archery in Milwaukee. It works very well and is made to last a lifetime.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Now I had heard the same as above, if you shoot right or left handed makes a difference on which direction to fletch. I have some straight and some right helical and the right do fly better and tighter group. But what is the right way? or is there one? Now I am confused.

Right, left or doesn't matter?[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I was told a spinning arrow is more stabilized and flies straighter...I need all the help I can get![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    ...I need all the help I can get![;)]

You still talkin about arrows? [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

You still talkin about arrows? [;)]

If you knew my league scores, You'd agree!!![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You shoot a Hoyt so you shouldn't need as much help as say someone that shoots a mathews![:D] The fletching serves only one purpose and that is to catch air and get the arrow flying true. The helical fletch catches the air and gets it spinning which gets if flying straighter that one with no spin. (same with a bullet) I believe that a straight fletched arrow should be faster than a helical because of less drag but I'd be willing to bet that you would lose a little accuracy. I'd suggest trying a couple of each and see what shoots best for you!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It used to be that people would use left wing feathers with a left helical, this was to get your arrow to spin left recurve shooters. With compounds, there is no reason to shot left helical other then to have your broadhead and tips loosen from you arrow, even for left handed people. So right helical, straight, or right offset is the way that you would want to go. Offset is putting a degree of angle on the fletching but not wrapping them around like a helical clamp would. What you use is really a preference, but most people will say an offset or helilcal will fly better then straight. A right helical clamp will give you helical arrows, however, you can offset your fletches with a straight clamp set up to offset.

I have a grayling and old cabelas jig. The old cabelas jig is great, but doesn't do cockvane up like their new ones do. The grayling jig sucks and is hard to do my axis arrows on. With me indoor logs, it worked well for. My new Ultralights, it worked ok for. It does its job and only cost 30 bucks, but i think it moves to much. There are Jo Jan and Blitzenburger, I wish I had money for a blitz.

As for rest, I had a NAP 2000 till two days ago. It adjusted ok, but had a wire that went to a provided cable slide. I broke the slide 3 times from June till November. I just put a new string on my hunting and 3D bow, and I drilled it out and put it on the down cable. Couldn't not get it to drop correctly and had vane contact. So, I went and bought a Trophy taker drop away. Man what a difference in quality and ease of set up. I was shooting with bullet holes in 15 minutes with the rest. It was an amazing difference and I think it will also be more accurate then the NAP 2000.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    I believe that a straight fletched arrow should be faster than a helical because of less drag but I'd be willing to bet that you would lose a little accuracy. I'd suggest trying a couple of each and see what shoots best for you!

You are very much correct their slash. I think its something like 2-5 fps. Thats why I offset mine, just a little. Probably something like 1-2 degrees to the right.
  • Options
    HappygirltamiHappygirltami Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The helical fletch allows for more stability when shooting a broadhead. The idea is to allow for more arrow spin. I shoot mechanicals therefore I can get away with shooting either. If I were shooting a broadhead I would definitely not shoot an arrow that was straight fletched. I prefer a JONJAN fletcher. This is because I am friends with the owner of the company. We shoot sporting clays together. As for a drop away rest, I shoot a Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter with the extra large prong. It is very forgiving and accurate.
  • Options
    HappygirltamiHappygirltami Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's Jo Jan my fingers got in the way again
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey happygirl, where ya been, taco was askin for another topless pic of ya![:D]
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no advice on fletch, but I do have a strong recomendation for the Drop Zone rest. I have one and it is a real nice unit. very easy to adjust, and stupid proof to use. The only problem I have ever heard of was on my dad's Switchback he had a hard time moving it far enough out. This was an early run of them, and they now have one more adjustment hole for the left/right.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Hey happygirl, where ya been, taco was askin for another topless pic of ya![:D]

Keep it up bubba and i'll make a trip to see you[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Happygirltami
    I shoot a Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter with the extra large prong. It is very forgiving and accurate.

I think thats what I'm leaning toward buying...