In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crossbows, should they be legal?

zacgzacg Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
What do you guys think? Should crossbows be legal everywhere during the regular archery season?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not this again......[B)][B)][B)][B)]
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. No. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Abort Cuomo
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Why not they have mopes walking around the woods able to blast 5 shots with a shot gun [:(!] I would personally rather see crossbows. PS only for folks with limited ability.... I wouldent mind seeing shotgun season just go away[:0] Just my opinion My state is very small most of ya'll counties are much larger than our state.[;)] [:D]Actually I think they should pass one out to every single resident in the State of Wyoming.[:0] Whats your beef with crossbow's. No I do not own one[?] OH by the way welcome to the forum . hope ya have thick skin....[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    In places where the deer numbers are high, I don't see any reason not to make them legal. Where the deer numbers are in control, I think that they should be for handicapped hunters only.

Ben
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the Last one....I mean Ben![:D][;)]
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think they should be allowed in muzzle season, and not with regular bows. unless you are handicapped, then they should be legal during archery.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    I agree with the Last one....I mean Ben![:D][;)]

Last one isn't allowed to post anymore. In the words of Nunn "Later *!"

Ben
  • zacgzacg Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no beef with crossbows, in fact i shoot a crossbow. I dont see the major advantage of crossbows except the stay cocked by themselves. I am in a wheelchair and dont quite have the strength to shoot a regular bow. Two of my friends shoot PSE Baby G's and i havent found a crossbow yet that could outshoot them. With todays technology and the great bows that are on the market today theres not a whole lot of advantages with a crossbow.
    edited November -1
    zac, you're right. I do think that the advantage of already being drawn is a considerable one, but as far as outshooting a bow, I don't think it really happens.

I also believe that a crossbow is easier to master than a bow. But, that's just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum. Don't be a stranger.

Ben
    edited November -1
    Legalize Crossbows for hunting Whitetail deer ?
    Yes to people with diabilities.
    No to the other masses.
    It is a primitive sport, so lets keep it that way.
    We have already grown leaps and bounds wth mechanical releases, high technology rests and everything else under the sun. I have been bow hunting for over 25 years. I bought the first climbing tree stand ever made. I believe its a Baker, still have it in the wood shed. It weighs a ton. Now there are hundreds to choose from and they weigh next to nothing.
    My point is that technology makes bow hunting way to easy. Lets not take all the fun, and difficulty out of it by allowing crossbows.
    Pete
    Abort Cuomo
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fun is GETTING THE PREY IN CLOSE ENUFF TO KILL IT.with bow / or crossbow shouldn't matter.
  • zacgzacg Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. I have spent over 350 hours in the trees and have harvested one deer with my crossbow. It is still difficult but was fun the whole time.
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will agree to diabilities! If you can draw the minimum weight of a compound, recurve, or longbow that is what I think should be allowed! B-4 I get slammed, I hunt with someone who is able to hunt with crossbow due to a medical disadvantage! And it is legal in Il. to hunt during archery season! zacg welcome to the forum, don't let some of these people chase you off if your sensitive![;)][:D][:D]
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Crossbows legal everywhere? Sure why not. Seems to me you have more oppertunity with a compound bow though, quiter, more accurate, and people fight over which ones are better and which ones suck. [:D]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they should remain for handicapped hunters only lord knows we don't want a bunch of low life k-mart hunters flooding the woods to take advantage of the longer hunting season. the second that happens the season will get shortened to about the length of firearm season and I will have to find something else to do until ice fishing starts. Personally I do not believe there is any advantage to a crossbow the bolts are so heavy the energy drops off the map after 20 yards.
  • remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    No to the other masses.
    We have already grown leaps and bounds wth mechanical releases, high technology rests and everything else under the sun. I have been bow hunting for over 25 years. I bought the first climbing tree stand ever made. I believe its a Baker, still have it in the wood shed. It weighs a ton. Now there are hundreds to choose from and they weigh next to nothing.
    My point is that technology makes bow hunting way to easy. Lets not take all the fun, and difficulty out of it by allowing crossbows.
    Pete

Kinda contradicting yourself there Pete... you want to keep it primitive? do you hunt with a long bow or recurve? i personally dont see why you shouldnt be able to hunt with either a compound, recurve
    long or crossbow. Technology isnt something we can stop or should stop in most cases, you just have to roll with the times. If we're going to take tech out of hunting throw your climbing stands away, get rid of your scent lock clothing and get your flintlock down from the mantle and restring your long bow, dont forget to throw another log on the fire in the morning when you head out either...
    edited November -1
    Remingtonboy
    Being a forester I do heat my home with wood exclusive. I also hunt with a recurve but not all season. I do hunt mostly with a compound. I take out the recurve a few times when the blind or tree stand offers close shots. I will admit that the compound has some gadgets, however the recurve only has a flipper rest.
    Pete
    Abort Cuomo
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can still only take as many deer as you have tags for. I use a compound, but I really don't care as long as you do what the law says you can do.
    edited November -1
    I think most states and hunters besides ourselves have given this topic much thought. I also think a lot of forum members have some good concerns after reading posts.

Nonforester as far as being too easy with a crossbow??? more convienent to shoot mabey, thats about it. also using primitive isint this still americia thats my choise as with todays muzzleloaders. compared to flintlock[?]

I think for folks that are dissabled it's great otherwize many of them wpuld have to sit out that season.My state only last year made it leagle for dissabled to hunt with a crossbow. way behind the times ,,, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Gogolen brought up a great point if they are leagle for everyone.... well I'll be nice for once Bowhunting as we all know it and love it would be over..[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remington nut
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    No to the other masses.
    Pete

Kinda contradicting yourself there Pete... you want to keep it primitive? do you hunt with a long bow or recurve? i personally dont see why you shouldnt be able to hunt with either a compound, recurve
    long or crossbow. Technology isnt something we can stop or should stop in most cases, you just have to roll with the times. If we're going to take tech out of hunting throw your climbing stands away, get rid of your scent lock clothing and get your flintlock down from the mantle and restring your long bow, dont forget to throw another log on the fire in the morning when you head out either...

[:0] He has a point.. also dont forget to saddle your horse for that long ride to the woods..... OH I forgot were not completley surround by woods anymore... HMMMMMM times have changed havent they[:D]