In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primitive Wepon's season in Illinois

hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
I know this is not about archery but I have heard a rumor that Illinois is going to allow the use of pre 1900 rifle cartages during muzzleloader season like we started here in Mississippi this year. We have to use a 38 caliber or larger bullet. The two most popular are the 38/55 and 45/70. The rifle has to have an exposed hammer and be single shot breach loading. 1885 Browning or Winchester, Browning B-78 is OK also, New England arms Handi Rifle and there Buffalo Classic. These are just a few of the allowed rifles. Have any of you folks seen or heard this? Please let me know if this is a fact or a bunch of non sence.

Hornet

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I have not heard anything about this but I will look into it.
  • hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks bang, you never know unless you ask.

Hornet
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well how did you do those last 2 weeks hope bama will follow ya'll soon on the primative season
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    45/70 on a whitetail? Kinda a big punch for a little ol deer isn't it? Don't take me wrong, I'm all game for that hunt.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Suspension
    45/70 on a whitetail? Kinda a big punch for a little ol deer isn't it? Don't take me wrong, I'm all game for that hunt.

ya.....seems like a little overkill
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No diff then useing a 12ga slug,,7mmMag 300mag. ohh the list could go on on on.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Ladyhunter, the last two weeks were a bust for me. The weather turned real warm, and everything was starting to bloom and turn green in the woods. So the deer did not move much at all because they did not have to go far to eat. Maybe we won't have a hurricane next season and things will be better.
    A 45/70 is about the size of a 20ga slug. Most of the folks that hunt in Illinois have seen huge bucks walk right across a open field and with a slug all they could do was watch. This has happened to me several times. If I would have had a 45/70 that would not have been a problem. It takes practice but a 300 yard shot is not that hard to make . But you must know your weapon, it takes a lot of shooting to be able to hit something at long range with a 45/70 and it's rainbow trajectory.
    Those of you who think it is over kill have never had to hunt in the thick Southern swamps where most shots are up close and personal. Ask ladyhunter I am sure she has been in places in AL like that also.

Hornet
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it can get real thick down here
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    This is all I found out, not much...

"Administrative Rules are not yet posted on the DNR website. Last I heard, they had not been approved at the Governor's office yet. They must be out there for public comment for 45 days before they are sent to JCAR for final approval.

I've looked over their website, and can't find anything to support this. Doesn't mean it's not true, just that the DNR hasn't went public with anything yet.

I can't find anything in proposed legislation, either.

I guess just wait until ad rules come out and see... "

These guys are really up to date with the DNR stuff and some regularly attend the meetings. So if anything comes up I'll let you know.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys and gals I will keep my ears open down this way.

Hornet