In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One Cam, 1-1/2, 2 Cams

RSC WholesaleRSC Wholesale Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
What's the functional difference between Cam designs? Why is a bow better for 3-D than for hunting?

Comments

• Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only thing I can think of is speed,let off
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    Only thing I can think of is speed,let off
    agree.the cams affect speed. I bow with cam(s) will shoot faster than a bow with just wheels
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The advantage of a single cam design is that it will never go out of time, i.e. the two cams not rolling over at the same time due to string or buss cable stretch. Cam and a half was developed in hopes that it would do the same thing unfortunately for the poor uninformed souls that purchased them there is no such thing as a cam and a half it is still a two cam design. Oh and before some hoyt nut gets on here ranting and raving about how hoyt is the pinnacle of design and innovation, know this cam and a half was designed by darton over ten years ago.

As far as 3-d bows and hunting bows go, you really don't want a long axle to axle length while hunting as it can become quite cumbersome in your treestand or blind. The advantage of a longer axle to axle length however is forgiveness, a longer bow will be easier to shoot, and less reactive to poor form or follow through than a shorter bow.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    Cam and a half was developed in hopes that it would do the same thing unfortunately for the poor uninformed souls that purchased them there is no such thing as a cam and a half it is still a two cam design.

agreed, Same with the binary and PSE's cam.

So if a bow shop tells you that a dual cam bow will not go out of time, turn around and walk out.

I personally like the dual cams, and I will probably never own a bow without dual cams. Some of the dual cam bows out have a pretty harsh draw cycle compaired to a single cam bow though. But the cam .5 is not one of them, if set up correctly.