In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

going to get a bow

KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
Any suggestions? Never bowhunted but am going to take it up. In a couple of weeks I am gonna get a bow. Probably a Matthews, cause most of my freinds and my little brother have one. And it seems to be the dominant brand here. I was thinking about a Switchback XT. Any thoughts on bows, for or against any particular brand? Or any of the stuff to outfit it?

Comments

• Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to Archery..You can't go wrong with the XT,but for the money I'd go with the 05 Switchback save yourself bout $150.00 use it to load your bow up with ALL THE GOODIES.[:D] Stay away from hoyts[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a price difference on a lefty? Cause i am gonna need one.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KrisW
    Is there a price difference on a lefty? Cause i am gonna need one.

I have a 2004 left handed Mathews Classic in great shape i'd let go for $350.00 ready to shoot, just add arrows. Hell i'd even pay shipping[:D]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I know a Guy named Slash on the forum who is looking to unload a hoyt so he can buy the mathews xt... Are you interested[?][}:)]
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    I know a Guy named Slash on the forum who is looking to unload a hoyt so he can buy the mathews xt... Are you interested[?][}:)]
    [:D][:D].it seem that the mathews is the dominate bow brand around here. i agree with surekill. You should go with an old model or maybe even a used bow. If after shooting you dont like archery, you dont have as much money in a bow. I just got into bowhunting two years ago and i think its a fun sport. Last christmas i just bought a new bow. I bought a diamond victory, copper john sight, Nap drop away rest, kquikee quiver, Cap stabilizer, and limbsavers. In all that stuff i have about $800-$900. I love the bow, but in a new years i plan on getting a new bow. My two cents.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't think there is any diff in $ for a lefty..It may take longer to get 1.[;)]...... Taco has a good bow he has shown above..[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    taco email me some more info about your setup if you dont mind..
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    taco email me some more info about your setup if you dont mind..

Ya got mail.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:buckeyboy Posted - 03/11/2006 : 10:44:06 AM
    I know a Guy named Slash on the forum who is looking to unload a hoyt so he can buy the mathews xt... Are you interested

That's not even right man![}:)][:D]

Welcome to this bunch of nuts! If you want to be like all of the other people that can't seem to see past mathews, then go ahead and look at the XT (+++ don't let the fag buckey know, but you'd be getting a good bow with the XT+++) I like to be a little different from the rest of the mob. I went with a HOYT! My suggestion is that you try and find a pro-shop that will let you shoot different bows and see what feels good to you. I like the Hoyt because there is almost no vibration in my bow hand (that's the hand that holds the bow instead of the string when you shoot) with the way that the HOYT riser is made. We have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of fun with bashing each others brands on here but most are good brands. Shoot each and then make up your own mind. Oh, and watch out for buckey! After he warms you up with being all nice about mathews, let's just say that when he mentions "SHOWERS" it's not the spring type that he has in mind taking with you![:D]

{Back at ya Buckey! That's for the "unload my Hoyt" comment![:D][:D][:o)]
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've got a 2003 Mathews FX, left handed, that I wouldn't mind selling so i can get an XT. if you are interested, let me know.
  • Options
    Kanes28Kanes28 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best advice you got was find a shop where you can handle and maybe shoot several different bows. Personally I shoot a Hoyt magnatech. I dont buy into all this brand "A" is better than brand "B" crap. Ive considered Matthews, High Country, Bowtech, etc... My Hoyt had the best feel to me and thats the most important thing. I was just at a hunting show and looked at the switchback XT. Looks like a sweet bow! picked it up and put it right back down. The grip didnt feel good in my hand. Point being... Get what you like not what others say you should like.

Kane
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Kane, Keep talking like that and we may have to get you into the FourHOYTsmen of the Apacolipse![:D][:D] Nicely worded but in order to get in the FourHOYTsmen, you'll need to do a little more Mathews bashing in your posts. For example: instead of saying [quoteI was just at a hunting show and looked at the switchback XT. Looks like a sweet bow! picked it up and put it right back down. The grip didnt feel good in my hand.][/quote] you should have said " I was at a hunting show and some drunk begger was standing outside trying to force people to take this POS mathews XT off his hands. I picked the POS up and threw it right back at the drunk! (which may have been Buckey or Bang[?]) The grip felt like it was made for some lip wristed person of questionable gender. Then it took me a week to wash the smell off my hand!"

That is for all of you bumbs who I assume have been working today rather than posting on here![:D][B)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kanes28
    The best advice you got was find a shop where you can handle and maybe shoot several different bows. Personally I shoot a Hoyt magnatech. I dont buy into all this brand "A" is better than brand "B" crap. Ive considered Matthews, High Country, Bowtech, etc... My Hoyt had the best feel to me and thats the most important thing. I was just at a hunting show and looked at the switchback XT. Looks like a sweet bow! picked it up and put it right back down. The grip didnt feel good in my hand. Point being... Get what you like not what others say you should like.[:0][:0] Only a big shlanker feels good in your hand[:0][:D] hoyt fags.[}:)][:D]

Kane
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the input guys. i have shot bows before. its just been a while. my younger brother has had several different brands and i have shot most of them at some point or the other. right now he is shooting a matthews and i like it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HA HA up yours again slash,,, boy this sounds familiar....[:0][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    up my what[?][?][?][:0][B)][:D][:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Up the ole hoyt hole.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just like in the Marines. Hoyt shooters may not be the largest branch but we are the best! Same goes for bows I see![B)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Just like in the Marines. Hoyt shooters may not be the largest branch but we are the best! Same goes for bows I see![B)][:D]
    Hey slash your back I was starting to think we beat on ya too much..... hope your not getting offended.... I guess were not trying hard enough HOYT-Boy.[:D][8]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    man you guys get started early dont cha lol
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    man you guys get started early dont cha lol

Roger that!
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962