In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New strings and cables

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am in need of a string and cables for my bow. The last string I had put on was only 8 months ago. The serving has been re-done once and is shot again. Also the cables I am sure are 7 or more years old and showing lots of wear.
Does anyone have any recommendations for strings for this bow?

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    What bow do you have???
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Winners choice will be my next set.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had winners choice, but they say they are good. I have had someone from AT make two sets for me, excellent strings. My bow I shot in doors all winter has at least 2000 shots through it and there is still no peep rotation. Name is Firstrings or first strings, don't really remeber, but the guys name is Mike Mathews. Might take a while to get them though, cause he was just swamped when I ordered mine a month ago. His price is $65. Winners choice strings would be around 120 for a complete set.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a barracuda on mine and a backup one just in case....
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are for my Hoyt Powerflex. It is an older bow, and very harsh shooting. Lots of recoil and the draw is not real smooth. It does, however, send arrows down range really well. Last week at league I shot a 298 37X with it. The serving around the wheels is all separated, the center serving on the string is worn out. Like I said before... Need New Strings! I am now torn between Winners Choice and one built at http://www.genescustombowstrings.com/ . He said he can tame out a lot of the shock in my bow as well. It is so bad that it breaks the fibers in my TruGlo sight.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    These are for my Hoyt Powerflex. It is an older bow, and very harsh shooting. Lots of recoil and the draw is not real smooth. It does, however, send arrows down range really well. Last week at league I shot a 298 37X with it. The serving around the wheels is all separated, the center serving on the string is worn out. Like I said before... Need New Strings! I am now torn between Winners Choice and one built at http://www.genescustombowstrings.com/ . He said he can tame out a lot of the shock in my bow as well. It is so bad that it breaks the fibers in my TruGlo sight.
    I like the zebra twist.... and the barracuda.[;)]
    edited November -1
    I found ammo to bash slash in this thread but I will leave it alone[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I found ammo to bash slash in this thread but I will leave it alone[:D]
    Yea but I won't [:0]Hoyt vibrating string breaking serving seperation peice of crap[xx(][:D][:D]
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How does a new string tame shock out of a bow? Or did he mean he would help you with other stuff like stabilizers, string leeches ect?
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    It is so bad that it breaks the fibers in my TruGlo sight.
    wow. that is pretty bad. my old pse wasn't even that bad.[:0][:0][B)]
    edited November -1
    Danski I think he was refering to cams being out of time. I'm not up on all the things that can be done to bows to make them better, or worse. I can paper tune the rest and adjust the pins. After that I leave it up to the pros. Right now I have 2 different stabilizers (one for hunting, and one for indoor target), limbsavers, and bowjax on the string. Not sure how much more can be done.

Bucky Why stop bashing Slash? That is half the reason I stick around and read all the trash you guys deal out.
    edited November -1
    I'll never stop bashing slash did ya read my thread.NEEEEVVVVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One way to fix it....... GO GET A MATHEWS..[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    One way to fix it....... GO GET A MATHEWS..[:D]
    [:D]
    edited November -1
    What u ---->[:D] AT??
    edited November -1
    Surekill
    No problem. I would hapily get a Mathews. Got an extra $800 laying around? I don't. That is why I keep shooting this old POS.
    edited November -1
    Surekill
    No problem. I would hapily get a Mathews. Got an extra $800 laying around? I don't. That is why I keep shooting this old POS.
    ya. surekill. buy the man a new bow[:D]
    edited November -1
    Tring to get 1 off buckey's bro..[:D]... as far as the $800 you don't need that much.go to fleabay they have them.
    edited November -1
    Well I would have had $800, but I just dropped off my dog for knee surgery. That will eat up about that much. Good thing for him he is such a good dog...

As for a new bow, I am looking at them and making plans for the next 2 or 3 years at buying one. Today I might go try the Browning Illustion. From what I have read, they look to be a really good bow. I do like the switchback, but they are a few hundred more. Never know what I might come home with...
    edited November -1
    Well I would have had $800, but I just dropped off my dog for knee surgery. That will eat up about that much. Good thing for him he is such a good dog...

As for a new bow, I am looking at them and making plans for the next 2 or 3 years at buying one. Today I might go try the Browning Illustion. From what I have read, they look to be a really good bow. I do like the switchback, but they are a few hundred more. Never know what I might come home with...
    good luck of finding a nice bow.......go around and shoot em' all(except hoyt)[:D]
    edited November -1

Omy, 0.23 woulda bin alot cheaper[B)]J/K!! ....for a few more $$ the Mathews are worth it [:D][;)][^]
    edited November -1
    I like the zebra twist.... and the barracuda.[;)]

OH this too
    edited November -1

o. and i hope your dog gets better[8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18

Yeah! Good luck with that dog, I just wrapped about $2000 in my 2. a 22 shell would have been cheaper but for some reason I like the little bast@#ds.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18

Yeah! Good luck with that dog, I just wrapped about $2000 in my 2. a 22 shell would have been cheaper but for some reason I like the little bast@#ds.

I told my fiance if it ever came down to 1 cent or 2000, its going to be the 1 cent that is spent.
    edited November -1
    I've said that too but when the time came it was a different story.
    edited November -1
    Turns out he didn't need surgery. They did another exam whie he was under and found sufficient scar tissue to hold the knee together. He is the million dollar dog. $2500 last year between 2 ACL's and a tail amputation (don't ask). Now it is a question of where to draw the line. With that much invested, it is hard to pull the plug. Besides he is such a good dog.
    Thanksgivingweek153.jpg
    edited November -1
    I've said that too but when the time came it was a different story.

I grew up on a farm, I ate my pets. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Schoff
    I grew up on a farm as well. Just never and a desire to try Lab...
    edited November -1
    without gettig to deep. my beliefs are when you take an animal as a pet... we need to be responsible for them... I wish my dogs could talk[B)] they would probly have a few choise wods for me... My ittle guy had like an sbsess on his but started rubb9ing on the floor and such .... about 3 hours later started cyying ... got my a%% out of be brougght him to a 24 hour facility and they told me good thing you brought him in when you did because it was pretty bad. the dog never winned the day before or any thing .. when he starteted crying that night I felt so bad they are helpless and depend on us to take care of them.. i love my dogs so mush unlss it was an un treatable problem I will spend what ever it takes ... I owe that to them..Just my oppinion... Farm folks are used to seing animals get sick and there is a money thing involved I understad that but my personl pets get the beat of care .. you gus should see my pups they know they are loved[;)]
    edited November -1
    Turns out he didn't need surgery. They did another exam whie he was under and found sufficient scar tissue to hold the knee together. He is the million dollar dog. $2500 last year between 2 ACL's and a tail amputation (don't ask). Now it is a question of where to draw the line. With that much invested, it is hard to pull the plug. Besides he is such a good dog.
    Thanksgivingweek153.jpg
    nice lookin dog. we had some chocolate labs that looked like that......nice dogs
    edited November -1
    WELL I'M sorry guess I'm a haertless basta#d,[}:)].No Way would I spend that much.I've done it once(my 12yr old lab [xx(]) and would probley do it again.So again SORRY.

Away what string you going with [?]
    edited November -1
    WELL I'M sorry guess I'm a haertless basta#d,[}:)].

AGREE WITH YOU FOR ONCE ....AND LEARN HOW TO SPELL HEART<----
    edited November -1
    how bout FU <---- .now hows that for heartless huh?
    edited November -1
    how bout FU <---- .now hows that for heartless huh?
    at least you spelled heartless right....[;)]
    edited November -1
    1st time my 2 year was trying to help..((til I slaped him like a red headed set kid..[:D]j/k ))
    edited November -1
    1st time my 2 year was trying to help..((til I slaped him like a red headed set kid..[:D]j/k ))
    you couldnt hit me......im too fast....AND THAT'S CHILD ABUSE!!~!
    edited November -1
    not as fast as my Switchback.[:D]
    edited November -1
    faster....[:D]
    edited November -1