In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New string and cables are on with pics

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went to a custom string shop and had a string and cables made for my bow. Come to find out the cables had broken strands, worn serving and were way out of spec. The string that was on the bow was 1 inch too long! I don't know if it was installed that way or just streatched that much, but it was bad news. There again broken strands and worn serving and the string was only 9 months old.

Anyway I went to this shop and the guy built them right in front of me. Really interesting to watch. He did something a little different. All 3 strings are different colors. It looks really good. It also shoots like a different bow. I was getting so tired of recoil and vibration in that old bow, I was looking at new ones and couldn't afford them. Now this one shoots like new. Still has some recoil, but MUCH less.

I would like to make a suggestion: If anyone wants/needs (I was told to replace string and cables ever other year for best performance) new strings, call or e-mail this guy. http://www.genescustombowstrings.com/ He is super nice and does great work! He even had some tricks to make my old Hoyt shoot better. I am impressed to say the least. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

ADDED 04-04-06 Ok here are the pictures. Ut is still an older bow but what an older bow it is. Yesterday I shot 3 shot groups and got at least one pin set. I broke 8 nocks and ruined the fletch on all my arrows!

IMAG0077.jpg
IMAG0080.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It makes a big difference when your strings get worn out.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear its workin out for you in a much cheaper way. Thats always a plus.

quote:tricks to make my old Hoyt shoot better

dcso take no offense just funnin here....

but anim_rofl2.gifit takes special tricks to make a hoyt shoot better. ROFLMAO.gif Hey Slash ya here that! pound.gif
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Make all the fun you want. Even my dad who shoots a switchback said it is truely a great bow now. We often trade bows while shooting together and he really made fun of me before, like you guys do. Now he is concidering a Hoyt for a target bow.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Make all the fun you want. Even my dad who shoots a switchback said it is truely a great bow now. We often trade bows while shooting together and he really made fun of me before, like you guys do. Now he is concidering a Hoyt for a target bow.

I'd use a hoyt AS A TARGETbow ANYTIME....LMFAO.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It would be safe with a Mathews shooting at it.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    no pics yet....?good to hear you are happy with the new strings and cables............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry no pics yet. I am working this weekend. Monday or Tuesday I will get them posted.
  • Options
    trouttruetrouttrue Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey dcso, How much did it set you back for that new sting. I also shoot a Hoyt and just woundered on the cost.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trout
    $88 for string, cables, installation, tuning, and range time. Came out a lot cheaper than Winners Choice or some of the others that I checked into. Also Gene had some tricks for this type of bow like moving the limb savers up near the riser. I'm hooked and will go back when ever I need strings. Even my dad that had just replaced his with Barracuda strings says mine seem to be better.
  • Options
    trouttruetrouttrue Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsco, What is that hoyt you have there? it looks like my Magnatec. So he recomends moving the limb savers closer to the riser? My son who is 15 also has a mt sport, would you do the same with that?? That would take so more shock out of the bow???

Thanks for the info.

[:D] Hoyt USA [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a Magtech Powerflex. I think it is about 6 to 8 years old now, but no way to be sure. I am at least the 4th owner. The limb savers are about 2" from the limb pockets. Took a lot of vibration out of mine. I feel less than half the recoil now then before the work. I think it is because the string was a full inch too long and the cables were in bad shape too. My suggestion would be having these done if it has been longer than 2 years.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trouttrue
    dsco, What is that hoyt you have there? it looks like my Magnatec. So he recomends moving the limb savers closer to the riser? My son who is 15 also has a mt sport, would you do the same with that?? That would take so more shock out of the bow???

Thanks for the info.

[:D] Hoyt USA [:D]

not really more shock, but it will make the bow faster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nice looking strings!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dcso

you should join the four hoytsman! we need a fourth member [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    its a good thing that he tuned the bow for you. That is one thing more pro shops should do! and do it correctly.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    nice lookin strings.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shoff sign me up. I'm always looking for more Hoyt shooters to hang around with. Besides I like bagging on Mathews shooters just as much as the next guy.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    Schoff sign me up. I'm always looking for more Hoyt shooters to hang around with. Besides I like bagging on Mathews shooters just as much as the next guy.

LMAO...you need to stick together,WE don't have to USE sign language [B)]