In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Genesis ?

LongRangeSupplyLongRangeSupply Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Is this a good bow to start a 9 year old with? The advertising sounds good, but I would like to hear from someone who has had their kids use one.

Also what is the difference if any between the Mathews Genesis and this web site that doesn't mention Mathews?

http://www.genesisbow.com/genbow/

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't know the difference. I would say though, that for a nine year old, these bows aren't going to prove that great. For younger kids, yes they are great. But for someone older, who will be looking to shoot something like his dad, won't cut it. A 9 year old is also going to need something that will grow with him. These bows won't. There are several bows on the market that will fit a 9 year old better then a genesis bow with better technology. The Hoty rintec or rintec XL, PSE spider, browning makes an excellent kids bow not sure of the name though. The rintec is a bow that will be able to grow with the kid as draw length is adjustable in a wide range. These last bows are going to offer better preformance, better speed, better accuracy and be an overall better starter bow for a 9 year old.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.mathewsinc.com/v2/home/products/Catalog.asp?btnSubmit=ByCatalog&cboCatalogCategoryID=87&cboCatalogID=352

The genesis is a compund bow with no let off. In my mind this is not a good bow to start a youngster off with. If you were dead set on a genesis bow you could save a few bucks by purchasing a recurve or long bow for him.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    My 11 yr old nephew still shoots his. It does "grow" with them. I forget the exact draw it goes to but he can shoot it his cousin shoots it and I have drawn it. I think it goes to 29 or 30". He also has 3 possum kills and 1 chicken.[:D].
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    My 11 yr old nephew still shoots his. It does "grow" with them. I forget the exact draw it goes to but he can shoot it his cousin shoots it and I have drawn it. I think it goes to 29 or 30". He also has 3 possum kills and 1 chicken.[:D].

so they grow, but i wouldn't want to put a young kid in a tree stand with them.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    No, I wouldn't let him deer hunt. But I think it is a good starter for the money, I think it was like $100 or 150 with arrows. To learn how to shoot and form. Course since noone else in his family hunts and he lives in S.dakota so I can't take him, he probably won't get to deer hunt for several more years.[V]
  • Options
    LongRangeSupplyLongRangeSupply Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses. I should have been more specific that he will be using this for 18 yard target shooting only. Deer hunting won't happen until he is quite a bit older. You must be 14 or turning 14 that year to hunt deer in Utah.

The 15" to 30" draw length with no adjustment is what looks good to me, plus you get quite a bit more speed than a recurve of the same draw weight. Will probably buy a used one and see how it goes.
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry bud, i don't have any kids to test it on.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    it looks good to me. I think it's most important to just get kids shooting. He won't be ready to hunt deer for a while, but you can still get him/her started in archery.

Ben
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Parker makes a very good youth bow and if they don't suit you i'd try a browning micro midas.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    nope never tried one. i started out shooting an old PSE. I also shot an outdoor course when i was 10 or 11 with targets ranging from 10-30 yards.i still do, but now i'm a lot better[:D]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    http://www.mathewsinc.com/v2/home/products/Catalog.asp?btnSubmit=ByCatalog&cboCatalogCategoryID=87&cboCatalogID=352

The genesis is a compund bow with no let off. In my mind this is not a good bow to start a youngster off with. If you were dead set on a genesis bow you could save a few bucks by purchasing a recurve or long bow for him.

^^^^^^^^^^^Agree with this..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^