In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did you survive?

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
The storms! those of you that got hit hope all is ok. My house and family are ok but my garage didn't make it.

DSC00134.jpg

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    OH MAN SORRY TO SEE THAT.... WEARE SUPPOSED TO GET SOME LEFTOVER T-STORMS FROM THAT BUT NOTHING LIKE YOU GUY'S HAD.. INSURANCE???????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep its insured but I am a little worried that I can't build that size for what that one cost 5 yrs ago. Building materials are up quite a bit. I'm not sure how this insurance stuff works though. Maybe ben can give me some tips.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WORKS LIKE THIS... GET REPLACMENT APPRASIAL COST FOR THAT GARAGE ... THAT ONE IS FIXABLE.. REPAIR IT.. THEN BUY A SWITCHBACK AND TAKE THE FAMILY ON VACATION WITH THE LEFTOVER MONEY[:0] jUST JOKING[}:)] ALTHOUGH THAT DOES LOOK REPAIRABLE... SORRY YA EVEN HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT. JUST A BIG PAIN IN THE WAZOO....
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Maybe ben can give me some tips.

faulty worksmanship isn't covered, so don't admit to building that yourself.[:0]

j/k. give me a call when you have the time, and I'll give you a little advice.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know there is quite a bit of broken lumber inside. Might be able to make a smaller garage out of it but who want to do that[:D].

I'm thinkin of attaching to the house this time. We'll see what insurance does then I'll decide what to do.
    Notice the "Rat wall" was not attached to the pad. It should have all been one peice or they should have put the ancors threw the pad and rat wall. I didn't do the concrete work but will next time.
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep its insured but I am a little worried that I can't build that size for what that one cost 5 yrs ago.

i can offer two words of advice to all who will listen

REPLACEMENT COST

make sure your homeowners insurance says that.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Bang glad you are ok and that is what is important. Do you guys use hurricane clips or the like up that way? If not...try it on the next one!
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    ouch....sorry to hear bout the garage, but on the bright side you and your family are ok[^]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whoa!!!!..We had them stroms here also missed use tho..Glad you/family are OK!
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad yer all ok bro, did Enos made it through fine? When ya get ready to rebuild let me know, i'm cheap[:D]
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear the family is okay Bang. Sorry to see your garage though.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you guys are ok

couple questions though. Why are the walls not anchored to the slab and why are the corners not tied into each other?
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad your all okay...

I'd also say that the garage is repairable if need-be. I would definetly anchor the blocks to the pad{rat-wall?} The back wall looks like it got the worst of it. The front and sides look like you could push them back into place and replace the busted studs,sill plate etc.....Rafters okay???? You could probably sandwich any cracked ones...But, If you got good insurance why bother!?!...Hope everything works out for ya!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to me it looks like there has to be a rafter cracked in the front.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rich looks to me like the only reason that garage is still there at all, is all the Sh$%$ ya got in there. thats the only thing that kept it from blowing away... see if ya had more stuff packed to the ceiling ya woulda been all set... seriously I feel bad just trying to make ya smile..[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Glad you guys are ok

couple questions though. Why are the walls not anchored to the slab and why are the corners not tied into each other?

Wish I could answer that.

quote:Rich looks to me like the only reason that garage is still there at all, is all the Sh$%$ ya got in there. thats the only thing that kept it from blowing away... see if ya had more stuff packed to the ceiling ya woulda been all set... seriously I feel bad just trying to make ya smile..

I did have a lot of stuff in there but now it is just a freakin mess, I mean like you can't even walk in there like a tornado went threw or something[;)].

quote: i'm cheap We know taco, we know and easy to right[;)] yep ,Enos made it ok.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201
    Yep its insured but I am a little worried that I can't build that size for what that one cost 5 yrs ago.

i can offer two words of advice to all who will listen

REPLACEMENT COST

make sure your homeowners insurance says that.

Replacement cost means nothing. Or so I am finding out. It's replacement, minus depreciation and if you have a loan on your place the money goes to the mortgage company then they release only 1/2 til it is 90% complete. How the F are you supposed to get to 90% comlplete with only 1/2 the money?

I need to shoot stuff to release some tension. [}:)][}:)][:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (My house and (family are ok.) Thats the most important part.Sorry to see you got hit Bang.[:(]
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bang, that doesn't sound right at all. It does not matter whether or not there is a mortgage on your home or not. If your policy states "Replacement Cost of Other Structures" then it is your insurance company's responsibility to rebuild it. Depreciation should only be aplicable on an ACV policy (Actual Cash Value). You need to go talk to your agent.

Of course, insurance varies from state to state, but it sounds like you are getting the shaft.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201
    Bang, that doesn't sound right at all. It does not matter whether or not there is a mortgage on your home or not. If your policy states "Replacement Cost of Other Structures" then it is your insurance company's responsibility to rebuild it. Depreciation should only be aplicable on an ACV policy (Actual Cash Value). You need to go talk to your agent.

Of course, insurance varies from state to state, but it sounds like you are getting the shaft.

The shaft with no reach around. Its ok(sort of) I have a plan.[:D] Took some thinkin' and a comment the adjuster made phone today but it should all work out for me in the end.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't let them BAS#ARD get away with it.[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    Don't let them BAS#ARDS get away with it.[}:)]