In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

planting

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
I am hoping to go plant my food plots this weekend provided I'm not in the fields here. I got some seed real cheap at Dicks yesterday and have round up ready corn(soon to have anyway) and beans left over from farmin'. I was going to order that new stuff from biologic that is round up ready corn and bean mix but since that is what we are planting and it runs $185/bag why let the left overs go to waste.

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I wish I had a place to plant... have fun[;)]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    185 a bag? holy crap guess that farmer needs to buy in bulk or find a different seed.
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hehe...i already planted my stash.....

***oops, wrong topic***
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    185 a bag? holy crap guess that farmer needs to buy in bulk or find a different seed.

That farmer is my family. And if you can find quality seed cheaper let me know. It is bought in bulk sort of we had 15 pallets in the shop[:D]. And how would you load the planter if you bought bulk, I am guessing you mean like gravity wagon bulk or something???
    I have seen cheap crap at FS it was $88 a bag not round up ready and not quality seed.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay Racer, If you could give me a GPS location and approximate size of your crop,[:D] I'll be able to make my first big bust!!! SO where did you say that stash was????[:D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Okay Racer, If you could give me a GPS location and approximate size of your crop,[:D] I'll be able to make my first big bust!!! SO where did you say that stash was????[:D]

haha! wouldn't you like to know!

Seriously though, I'll have a giveaway on here for your first meth-lab bust. Let me know when it happens. It's got to be the worst thing that ever happened to rural communities.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

haha! wouldn't you like to know!

Seriously though, I'll have a giveaway on here for your first meth-lab bust. Let me know when it happens. It's got to be the worst thing that ever happened to rural communities.

Ben

Amen brother! There is a meth related arrest every 2 days in the county where my cabin is. i always fear goin down there and finding some meth heads have found my cabin and started their crap in it. Not sayin its the best idea but I never go down there without a weapon. a friend of mine had his camper stored on some private property and some methheads found it, thank goodness they weren't there when we arrived.
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

in the field behind my house. if you really want directions, PM me and i'll hook you up. i don't know how much a bunch of habanero (sp?) pepper plants is worth, but help yourself. [:D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hsracer201
    i don't know how much a bunch of habanero (sp?) pepper plants is worth, but help yourself. [:D]

In a room full of drunken testosterone, they can be priceless.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    What is the best grass for deer, not smokin? We planted a plot of milo and when it dries we have corn to plant. I am thinking about putting out some honeysuckle, the deer will come eat it from the yard so they must really like it. Maybe I should add some of the different beans also. I want the critters to feel at home.
    Sorry cant help ya unless ya wanna know about the smoken grass[;)][:0]
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we plant clay peas and soy beans during the summer and rye and bio during the winter clay peas runs around 45 for 50# enough to do half acre soy runs 15 for 50 does about the same amount
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    well i and other hunters at my our camp just planted 2800 pine trees [xx(][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

That farmer is my family. And if you can find quality seed cheaper let me know. It is bought in bulk sort of we had 15 pallets in the shop[:D]. And how would you load the planter if you bought bulk, I am guessing you mean like gravity wagon bulk or something???
    I have seen cheap crap at FS it was $88 a bag not round up ready and not quality seed.

Select Seed Hybrids run between 70-95 a bag for regular, 110-140 for RR. These are dealer prices, so maybe your family should become a dealer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shoff, I thought about your bulk idea all night, took a 12 pack to the shop went over the idea with my brother in law (he and I do most the farmin'), he's callin today to get pricing on bulk bins, augers ect... Great idea thanks! No double handling of bags= less time wasted.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shoff, I thought about your bulk idea all night, took a 12 pack to the shop went over the idea with my brother in law (he and I do most the farmin'), he's callin today to get pricing on bulk bins, augers ect... Great idea thanks! No double handling of bags= less time wasted.

we had to go to all bulk due to my grandpa not being able to fill the planter, yes you have to handle less seed varieties for your corn, but its tons cheaper and if you can calculate correctly, you won't have any left. We have been doing about half bulk, have bags with corn for 2-3 years. Filling a 12 row planter with bags is just a pain in the *.

We have filled our drill for about 6 or so years with bulk. My dad had this thing made for our forklift to fit on the front, when we had the old 750 drill we would just drive the forklift to the fields (tractor like forklift). Since getting the new sdx drill(one of the first 50 off the line and was a deal for us because they used it at display at several farm shows [:D]) Instead of the pull in front or behind air seeder, we have one that sits on top of the frame. It holds 80 bushel. We use a wagon with auger. This year, my dad had a welder weld the auger onto the frame so we can use any wagon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No double handling of bags= less time wasted.

less time wasted and more time drinkin' beer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wish I had some land to plant...
    I wish I had some land to plant...[:(][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bang

I am going to be home next week, I will try to remember to take some pictures of our bag handling while in action.

we have a insulated shop 40 x 58 that we store everything in. Built it my freshman year in high school, so we have been doing bulk beens for 7 years now. But we were able to get a hold of some motor holders from honda, they were stackable and held 3-4 engines on them. Well we took and made legs to slip over the legs to make them taller. We are able to stack 3 bags high, 2 on the ground, 2 on first holder, and 2 on top of the next holder. They have really worked out nice, and I think we bought them for $50 a piece, plus the leg extensions. They do now have stackable bags were you can get two on top of each other without the bags colapsing. When we order all our seed, we plan on which fields to do first and put their hybrid/bag or bags in the correct order that we are going go through the seed. Takes a little time, but we don't have to move seed around once we get it.

J & M makes a nice hopper wagon which you can order with a roll tarp. Just don't want the wagon sitting out in the morning sun collection moisture.