In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Start-n to Bow Hunt

JesseLeeJesseLee Member Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
Hey everybody,
I am new to the Bow Hunting and TA forum and I have been itching to start up a new past time. Bow hunting is more of a challange than using a rifle (my opinion). The question or comments that I would like to know is What advice that you can give for someone that is just starting out.

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to a bow shop that carries Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Bowtech, and Elite and shoot as many bows as you can anoy the employee with. Then pick the one that felt the best to you. Let the person working with you teach you some stuff on how to draw properly, your not supposed to draw with your arm. Stuff like that. Listen and read!
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    like shoff said, go to a bow shop and shoot the different bow brands and see what one fits you best. i would agree that hunting with a bow is harder than hunting with a rifle. if you have any more questions about bows or bowhunting, come back and ask em' here. remember to post lots!
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only 3 words
    > GET A MATHEWS..[:D]
    Welcome to the forums.[;)]
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Find a nice little shop. then do like they said above. Smaller shops seem to wanna work with you not just get your money. Welcome to the addiction.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like mentioned above.

1. Go to a shop in your area and shoot several different bows. Talk to them and let them help point you in the right direction for you and how you plan to hunt. (for example: a shorter bow will be better for hunting from a tree stand but be much less forgiving when you have an error in your shooting form. ie your release your arrow.)

2. Have a budget in mind and stick to it. You can spend $800+ for a new bow without a release, sights, or rest. Then you'll need arrows and broadheads. Keep all of this in mind. You can get a good quality used bow for much less and most proshops will stand behind if if you buy it from them if you have any problems with it.

3. ++++ PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!! ++++ I can't stress this enough. Shoot as much as you can (without getting tired. shooting tired will make you have bad habits. You may only be shooting a dozen shots at first but make them good shots!) It will take time for you to learn you distances and your own abilities. Take your time and have fun.

If you have a friend that can shoot with you it would help you to get better. This person can help you with your form and abilities. Plus it's more fun when you shoot with someone!

WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK!
  • headboyheadboy Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to bow hunting from another 54 year old bow hunter of only one year. Some good advice on this forum. You have to work through the good spirited commericials though.[:)] Their telling you right on trying several bows. Like buying a ball glove, it needs to fit you. I started with a mid range bow but loved shooting so much I had to have a better one. I found that there are some good buys on used ones right now. Lots of guys are tradeing for the newest and best thing and some real deals are out there in the used line. Most of these are already set up with all the add ons. At least enough to get you started. I agree with practice practice and more practice. Replicate the hunting shot as best you can when you practice. Welcome to the addiction is the most accurate comment you got. After 35 years of hunting I feel like I am just starting. It's a blast. Going for Canada Bear this week!
    Good luck.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headboy
    Welcome to bow hunting from another 54 year old bow hunter of only one year. Some good advice on this forum. You have to work through the good spirited commericials though.[:)] Their telling you right on trying several bows. Like buying a ball glove, it needs to fit you. I started with a mid range bow but loved shooting so much I had to have a better one. I found that there are some good buys on used ones right now. Lots of guys are tradeing for the newest and best thing and some real deals are out there in the used line. Most of these are already set up with all the add ons. At least enough to get you started. I agree with practice practice and more practice. Replicate the hunting shot as best you can when you practice. Welcome to the addiction is the most accurate comment you got. After 35 years of hunting I feel like I am just starting. It's a blast. Going for Canada Bear this week!
    Good luck.
    [;)]Great advise Headboy and best of lucl on your bear hunt.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'd like to add that you need to shoot from a tree, and at least a couple of times a year, you need to practice your "straight down" shot.

Ben
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Good point Ben Thats one of the toughest shots.[;)]