In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bow Prices

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
What do you guys think??? I was just flipping through the redhead Archery catalog and was supprised at some of the bow prices .. i often hear mathews is over priced .... Is it?

Parker frontier starting at $699.00[:0]
PSE marc X $ 749.00[xx(][B)]
Diamond $599.00[:)]
Browning Illusion w free dozen arrows $ 699.00[?]
martin cougar $529.00[:o)]

I think these prices are a little high considering I got the latest top of the line mathews for $ 720.00 [^][:D][:D]

What do you guys and gals think. [?]

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I think I need to look through my magazine and order something.

They are probably just trying to compete in the market. I would guess these bows you speak of are of a more parallel limb design?
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    well.. this may not be the popular answer but... I think there are bows that are just as good as Mathews. I think that Mathews is selling a name more than anything. Do they hold value... yes, but that goes right back to selling the name. I found the bow that fits me best and the one that I liked the best. I didnt pay anywhere close to $720 and I know that I prefer to shoot my bow over the Mathews bows that I shot. So in my opinion.. yes there are over priced bows on the market that are not just Mathews.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    well.. this may not be the popular answer but... I think there are bows that are just as good as Mathews. I think that Mathews is selling a name more than anything. Do they hold value... yes, but that goes right back to selling the name. I found the bow that fits me best and the one that I liked the best. I didnt pay anywhere close to $720 and I know that I prefer to shoot my bow over the Mathews bows that I shot. So in my opinion.. yes there are over priced bows on the market that are not just Mathews.
    get real PSE 749 2 years ya wont get 300 for it...
  • Options
    hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think all bows are overprices, not just Mathews. but as long as consumers continue to buy them, the prices aren't going to drop anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just a thought and question, How many brands offer a lifetime warranty? serious question, I don't have a clue
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Just a thought and question, How many brands offer a lifetime warranty? serious question, I don't have a clue
    www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffreym/htm/watchout.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffreym/htm/watchout.htm
    READ THIS[:0]

PSE Marketing E-mail
    PSE Marketing E-mail2
    Cordoba Main page
    Archery Main page
    NOTE: NO CORRECTIVE ACTION from PSE as of Sunday, February 03, 2002 10:13:35 AM

PSE WARRANTIES SUCK!* would you buy a used car from this guy?

After shooting PSE bows for some time, I upgraded to the "top of the line" PSE MACH-4". This was PETE SHEPLEY'S FINEST!! The one Pete Shepley used..., "The most advanced....blah,blah, blah...80 #, full cam magnesium handled bow, backed by the FINEST WARRANTY in the BUSINESS. The dealer was Anderson Archery of Grand Ledge. I shot this bow for a few years killing several deer (base camp photo). I always shot heavy arrows, gave it the ultimate in care and never stressed it out. Then one morning, while shooting some breakfast shafts......

I had the displeasure of having it

EXPLODE IN HALF!

snapping the riser and ripping apart the heavy plastic grip.

(In comparison: This is like your pickup trucks "frame" breaking in half,...no, not the motor going as you would expect. The limbs (motor comparison) were fine....after all, they we NOT defective, as was the case with the RISER).

It all happened September '97, only 2 weeks before opener!. No, the limbs were fine, again...never stressed. I showed it to a co-worker at the University of Michigan (Ph. D. in metallurgy). He was quick to point out the bubbles that formed in the process of manufacturing this bow. It snapped internally, along that line.

Sooo, I shipped it back to PSE and they sent me a brand new bow!! Wow, BUT WAIT , it wasn't a another top of the line SYNERGY bow,.with cams etc...no it was a low life (discontinued) GAME SPORT FIRE FLIGHT. PSE claims that it has the same power as my old bow, and the same limbs as a MACH8 (imagine a $200 bow with the same limbs as a $700.00 bow!!!, ...what do you get for the other $500.00??). They gave me the old ras-a-ma-taz, same, same same and more same, blah, blah, blah, ya'da, ya'da ya'da..

This did NOT impress me. At the same time, I saw just how little help PSE's customer service was. I discovered that once the sale is made...YOUR ON YOUR OWN . I offered to send in some ca$h and/or approach a dealer, if I could upgrade...but noooooo. I simply could not get past "customer service" ;-(

Had they let me upgrade, the customer would have been happy, the PSE dealer would have made a sale (and been happy) and it would really have been nothing to PSE. I guess they just don't care about the customers after the fact. By the way, when I took the "fireflight" in to the local Michigan dealer...HE LAUGHED!! IT was a thrown together unknown riser with Fireflight limbs and Synergy wheels (cams). I felt bad :-(

So, I exchanged my $400.00 top of the line bow (at the time) for a low life synergy sneezing' game sport, get 70# limbs instead of 80# which I had to pay setup and shipping to correct , loose $35.00 for Fed-X overnight shipping get wheels instead of cams, pay the phone bill etc....What a bunch of monkeys. Know what your *REALLY getting with your warranty when you buy a PSE bow...

So now its time to spend some cash on a QUALITY Mathews, Hoyt etc. (Update....see pic below!)

(any body want to buy a NEW, but discontinued Game sport Fire flight?...very cheap...? Same limbs as a MACH 8)(Update....sold $50.00)

PSE's response:

At 09:53 AM 4/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
    >There is a posting at the following address about PSE:=20
    >http://cordoba6.ns.itd.umich.edu/htm/2thtm.htm
    >
    >Did you write this? If so, we'd like to know so that we can respond. If
    >you didn't write it, you should allow manufacturers the ability to
    >respond to a person's claims before publishing.
    >
    >Thanks for your help
    >
    >PSE Marketing Department
    Original Message
    From: Jeffrey M. Forth <jeffreym@cordoba6.ns.itd.umich.edu>
    To: mktg@pse-archery.com <mktg@pse-archery.com>
    Date: Monday, April 13, 1998 5:48 PM
    Subject: Re: From PSE Archery

Yes, of course I wrote this. Your warranty shop had its chance to =
    respond to my many calls, inquires and rebuttals. I spent a ton of money =
    calling from Michigan (and sometimes being put on hold) I can't be =
    certain of his name (ask around in warranty, they certainly wanted to =
    get the bow pieces quick enough) but I believe his name was TOM. Its =
    been a while (September/October) since I talked to them and then dropped =
    the whole thing. I have recently decided to take it on again and let =
    people know what a PSE warranty is REALLY WORTH. I use my exploding =
    (fact, not fiction) bow story at every bow shop, show etc.that I =
    visit.......see you this June at Anderson Archery's show. =20
    P.S. Try using a P.C. with sound, you'll love the background music!
    Jeff-

What's PSE waiting for???? RESPOND!!...The world is waiting...
    Dan Hawk (from PSE Marketing, believe it or not) SENDS AN E-Mail

Shoot-out at the not-so-OK Corral
    (Anderson Archery - - Grand Ledge, MI)
    June 20, 1998

June 19, 20 and the 21st in central Michigan are the days where archery vendors from around the country meet and show off their stuff.

As it turns out, its also a great time to protest companies like PSE ARCHERY that sell you products that explode in your face and then they laugh at you. And protest here, I did.

It started by printing out THIS 3 page document and distributing it all over the place. Where you sign-in, buy beer, etc, but best of all, where the

vendors roam. They were placed on their tables and IN THEIR VERY INTERESTED HANDS!. A local reporter got a copy...and took notes!

BUT when I saw DAN FITZGERALD and BOB FOLKROD acting like 'ol buds in front of the PSE camera (PSE Vision??), I just had to give him a copy while asking him "Your a PSE REP aren't you? (which he quickly responded "oh, no I'm not", "then maybe you should know what kind of company your working for!"....The shuffling of papers to cover this one up was hysterical!! We all laughed 'till it hurt. [Was that a CUT? cameraman]

IT ONLY GETS BETTER!

We then tracked down Ted Nugent, Ted was OUT-RAGED!! Then, turning to the corner booth, the Browning Archery folks were very interested. However; THE VERY BEST reaction of the day was the PSE SALES REP for MICHIGAN et all. He went on a RAMPAGE. Yelling and screaming as he followed us as we walked through the PSE display, RIPPING-UP the pamphlets I was handing out to the PSE folks. The crowds reaction was wild! I could not have gotten a better reaction from this guy, if I had paid him.

What a bunch of losers....except one fellow who was quite pleasant and felt that like himself, several "other" folks at PSE feel I was not dealt with fairly.......

As a side note:

The Michigan Rep (after he calmed down), said I should have contacted him. He then shows me a brand new PSE that was mangled and stated that "he" was going to take care of the owner of that bow) and "he" would have fixed mine.....had he only known.

WELL NOW YOU KNOW!! FIX IT DUDE.

It seems to me that PSE has an internal communications problem. Perhaps they should look inward, and customers should look else where.

Jeff-

[Post Script....] You know, I'm kind of thankful for PSE being so f__ked-up! Now that I've been shooting a Mathews MQ1, I've discovered how much NEW TECHNOLOGY there is out there!...and WHAT I'VE BEEN MISSING!!! I'm amazed with a bow that doesn't kick, has artistic lines, is super fast and beyond quite (I've heard only the vibration of the string...WITHOUT the limbs and other PSE bull poop noises and problems. A friend, MIKE put down his Mach 6 and 8 for an MQ1. While he didn't like the E.O.Tech super sight, he loves the MQ1. And best of all...IT HASN'T EXPLODED IN HIS OR MY FACE!.. Update...Jeff D. puts down his PSE for a Z-Max. Scottie-O is putting down his PSE for a Mathews.

*In my opinion, WHO EXPERIENCED IT...J.M.FORTH

Imagine...YOUR $700.00 MACH 8 has the SAME limbs as a $200.00 discontinued bow..... LOL :)

Disclaimer: All information presented on the multiple pages of this web site are the expressed opinion of Jeffrey M. Forth. I represent no commercial interests, have no affiliation with anybody and enjoy no endorsements or monetary gains from anyone. If a company is listed, it is due to the fact that I use their product, or I like their product or I think that its interesting. Some, all, or no one else, may agree with my findings. If you find something offensive, sorry...don't visit. All negativity towards PSE is due to their failure to respond properly to me (a customer) and is not affiliated or associated with any other company or organization in which I may have listed including the University of Michigan in whole or part. Your GOOFEY endorsement of PSE products makes me want to buy less...NOT more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    get real PSE 749 2 years ya wont get 300 for it...

Buckey.. that was a part of my point.. Mathews sells a name( not saying it does not sell a good bow too) It's kind of like when you see Mercs on the back of most tourny boats. The guys are given those over the years, and are asked to plug them. After many many years that is what we see and that is what sticks in our minds. We (humans) begin to think that just because the 'pros' use them that they must be the best. ( I prefer a honda motor) Same as with bows. Mathews has the BEST marketing of any bow manufacturer out there. They are the only ones that really market their bows. That is one of the main reasons that they do hold their resale and that they can ask for more $$ upfront on the original sale.

My point is that, although I do think that Mathews is over price,

1. I think that it is a smarter investment due to resale value.
    and
    2. That there are other bows out there that are over priced.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see a lot of Bowtech comercials now, some Martin (gotta love the martin girls[:D]), Alpine, Hoyt, PSE, ect.....Watch ODC you will see all kinds of bow comercials.

There are a lot of companies that market their bows and they all have bows in the same price range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see a lot of Bowtech comercials now, some Martin (gotta love the martin girls[:D]), Alpine, Hoyt, PSE, ect.....Watch ODC you will see all kinds of bow comercials.

There are a lot of companies that market their bows and they all have bows in the same price range.

Didnt Kevin something... from Bowtech get fired over marrying the Martin girl?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have to dissagree mathews does not make any low end bows. they do not use any retail markets such as Bass pro cabelas and so on. bowtech sold out with diamond why because the simply could not compete. mathews has the best engineering that cost money. but if you watch closly all other companies copy their design parrell limbs Sound dapening Perimiter weighted cams mathews came out with all first...it cost money for research and development and I think they are still competitive price wise.would you pay 749 for a pse????

Lets face it when you her quality optics first one that comes to mind

Swarvoski, lieca , zeiss, Stiner But swarvoski stands out.Why??
    I do however agree with the honda motor. but merc has steped it up and they are noew very very good and competitive with Honda. I have a honda lawn mower honda power washer, weed wacker, boat motor, sander motor, and tractor. so maybe Im a little biased here.[:I] have not had trouble with any of them..
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    considering a billet of aluminum is probably costing about $100 per bow, times maybe an hour of machine time at $100 an hour. finishing, anodizing, marketing, shipping, ect. I think we are lucking to have 700 dollar bows.

I would buy a PSE mach x, they are a sweet bow!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have to dissagree mathews does not make any low end bows.

Just to clarify ... I never said that Mathews made any low end bows......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bowtech now makes the diamond. Bowtech didn't sell out, at least not yet[:D]. Or is that what you meant? I just read your post again and maybe I didn't read it right the first time.

Not sure if Kevin was fired over marrying her but yes they are married and he did get fired. They have started their own company I think I read called Elite Archery. Some time ago a guy posted a pic of an elite on AT and it looked like a .......bowtech.....go figure huh!

And we all know who still makes the best bow out there right Slash?

the big ole mathews. Sorry y'all I had to![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bang I think I remember that Kevin had actually posted, late last year sometime, on AT that he was fired over marrying her. You speant more time over there... maybe you remember the post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep I used to spend time over there til I got banned again[:D] and not sure why this time, I just can't post under bang250 anymore but I can under other names(thanks last one for the idea). I remember the post but not the reason he was fired. I could care less really I am more jealous that hes got that to go home to every night. I'm glad he got fired that little b a s t a r d. [:I]Oh uh sorry my jealousy got the best of me there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bang what I meant about selling out is that they made a lower end bow in the diamond. Insted of improvements on their bowtech line. I dont mean in any way to diss bowtech or diamond because if I diddent have a Mathews I would most likely own a Bowtech..I also dont mean low end is junk. not by any stretch. Just priced to sell.. I guess when you get right down to it bussiness is Bussiness and each manufactures has to do what they need to do in order to to financially support themselves... Diddent mean to offend anyone..Gagirl what I meant when I said low end was like pse makes that X for $740 then a nova for 189.
    quality bow companies just dont do that...[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    I for one will never have a $700 bow until I win the lottery. I will have to stick with elcheapo. Maybe something like stick with a fishin string. [:D] nothing wrong with a cheap bow I used them for years. never had a new car. Now I can finally afford to buy what I want. I always had junk boats, atv's peiced together. so now I do what nike says JUST DO IT.[;)] oh I forgot to meantion I dont have any children or I would be hunting with a pocket knife..[:D]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $699 for my Switchback best money I spent on a bow and I had alot of diff ones.
    And I don't think you can BEAT MATHEWS for warranties/customer service is top notch![;)]
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    gotta love the price of those diamonds
  • Options
    KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i gave $650 for my swtichback XT last week. Compared to a lot of the ones named at the top of the thread that doesnt sounds bad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KrisW
    i gave $650 for my swtichback XT last week. Compared to a lot of the ones named at the top of the thread that doesnt sounds bad.
    WOW $650.00 for an xt thats a great price good for you, How do you like how it shoots... like I dont know OOOOOO hand shock smooth and quiet. Oh yea accurate too...[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like it, I dont have much experience with bows, but its nice. Its pretty accurate even with a novice shooting. And its suprisingly quiet. Granted I have more than the price of the bow in everything I bought last week, lol. But it was still the cheapest i could find them in my area
  • Options
    edited November -1

Damn Look and see what you can get a(MATHEWS Black Max2)with 80lbs limbs for.[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I remember when i go to the shop next week while I am off, I will see. What draw length you want on it surekill?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I remember when i go to the shop next week while I am off, I will see. What draw length you want on it surekill?

I'm a 28".....Just see how much they want.I haven't priced 1 here yet.
    But Thanks for looking[;)]
  • Options
    KroozerKroozer Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting thread. Sounds somewhat like an extended commercial for who's and what. I would like to believe that is not the case. But, that's how it can be taken.

Please remember something about all this. Product warrentees are like insurance policies. The only time you need them is when something goes wrong. You will then see what that product is really worth. Outside of owner misuse - which is always debatable - I feel all warrenties should be unconditional and lifetime (See Eddy Bauer). Otherwise, don't get into the business. The money you lose in the short term will soon be surpassed by costomer loyalty and word of mouth sales. Integrity is the oinly thing that we can never afford to have tarnished.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kroozer
    Very interesting thread. Sounds somewhat like an extended commercial for who's and what. I would like to believe that is not the case. But, that's how it can be taken.

Please remember something about all this. Product warrentees are like insurance policies. The only time you need them is when something goes wrong. You will then see what that product is really worth. Outside of owner misuse - which is always debatable - I feel all warrenties should be unconditional and lifetime (See Eddy Bauer). Otherwise, don't get into the business. The money you lose in the short term will soon be surpassed by costomer loyalty and word of mouth sales. Integrity is the oinly thing that we can never afford to have tarnished.

Mathews STANDS BEHIND THEIRS!!!!
    Oh by the way I did a google on bow prices and THIS THREAD came up.Kinda [8D]