In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Elevated Shooting

KroozerKroozer Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Is there any bare bow rule of thumb to go by when judging the hold under at specific distances? Something to be used quickly in the field? The last whitetail I shot over was at 30 feet and my hold was just below the knee. The only other one I've had was at 30 yards and the aim point was at the elbow. I realize that there's no substitute for practice and preparation. But sometimes what you may have learn goes south during a moment of truth rush.

I imagine the distance you are up in the air you are shooting from, the shot distance, and the bow power all play a role. But, could somebody give me rundown on whats all involved in these scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you aimed that low ONLY thing I can think of is you "peaked" watching the arrow before it left the bow or * it.Shooting out of an elevated stand you always aim lower.Up hill the same "lower"
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Maybe try to sight it in from an elevated point. On my old Q2 I didn't need to aim that low to hit the goodies, maybe armpit level or just under, to hit just above.
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have never had to aim that low. I hunt almost exclusivly from tree stands and I aim almost dead on. The best advice I can give is about what you mentioned. Do you have any place you can practice from an elevated platform? I have been known to climb onto my garage and shoot that way. It won't take you many arrows to figure out what your aiming point is for your bow set-up. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions. We are here to help... Unless we are throwing crap at each other....[:D] But it's all in fun! WELCOME!